PG Music Home
Posted By: Mr_Songman Soloist problems. [Resolved] - 01/10/20 05:47 AM
Hi all,

I seem to be having problems with the soloist feature using real tracks which I've never had before.

Firstly, it has a habit of generating the whole song again instead of just the solo when I press the 'generate solo' button.

Secondly, it won't seem to let me copy and paste a solo part to another part of the song.

Thirdly, the 'undo' doesn't work on the generated solo, although it says 'undo generate solo'.

Fourthly, when it has finished generating a solo, I get a huge blast of sound from all the instruments before the count in starts.

Lastly, it sometimes generates the solo a whole bar early and then I can't remove it.

Thanks in advance guys. smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist problems. - 01/10/20 05:21 PM
Greetings Mr_Songman,

Which annual release of Band-in-a-Box are you using? You mentioned you haven't had issues using RealTracks with the Soloist feature in the past; what, if anything you can think of, has changed? Is there a program update, Windows update, computer bios settings? Is this with one song file or with any song file? Are you using Soloist RealTracks or regular RealTracks? Do you have a specific song file you can post online so others can check it out?

My best advice without additional detail is to use the "return to factory" setting. The setting is available by navigating to "Options" > "Return to Factory Settings ..." > "Return ALL to Factory Settings". It should be okay to leave the Realtrack and RealDrum folder checkbox enabled.

Note: Using the "return to factory setting" will remove all program configuration changes you've made.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Soloist problems. - 01/11/20 04:32 AM
I'm sorry Jim, I wasn't very helpful was I ?

I have the latest BIAB 2020, and this has only happened since I installed it. I've tried it with other songs and the problems are the same.

I'm using the soloist button and choosing from there as I always do, so I assume I'm using soloist tracks.

I'm going to try running it direct from the USB drive I installed it from, maybe it's an installation glitch and I can re-install.

I'll try the factory reset too.

Thank you for the assist. smile
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Soloist problems. - 01/13/20 08:10 AM
Hi again,

I have since installed the updates for BIAB 2020 in the hope that it might help, but to no avail.
I have tried running my 2019 version direct from the USB, but the same problems persist no matter what songs I try.

I did a factory reset on the installed 2020 version but nothing has changed.

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thank you

Martin

PS I've just tried 'copy from/ to' a second time and it is telling me 'There are existing Soloist notes in the region....' which are obviously from my first attempt, but if there are, they're not playing.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist problems. - 01/13/20 09:55 PM
Perhaps your song file is corrupt. You may want to start over with a new song file.

I've observed song files are easily corrupted when frequent changes are made to a song file unless the song file is also frequently saved.

I've created a habit of frequently using the "save as" command to save a song file under a new file name. I use an incremental file naming system so each time I save the file name increments by one; for example, "MySong.SGU", "MySong01.SGU", "MySong02.SGU" and so on. If I suspect a song file is corrupt I try an earlier version of the song file.

I create a folder to contain all the files I use in a song project so I can easily reconstruct or modify a song.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Soloist problems. - 01/14/20 02:10 AM
Hi Jim,

I always do the same, save as, when working on a song. Like you, I've found it's the safest way.

Sadly, I have tried many different songs and the problem persists. My next step is to try a complete re-install in case BIAB didn't install correctly for some reason.

If that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas! frown

Thanks again.

Martin
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist problems. - 01/14/20 04:58 PM
Hi Again Martin,

I'm sorry none of my suggestions helped to resolve the issue. Before you go through all the aggravation of uninstalling and installing everything I suggest you post one more time in the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Windows +++ section of the forum.

More and wiser eyes than mine may have a solution to your issue, or at least better suggestions. smile If you don't want to repeat everything up to this point I'd just post a summary of the problem along with a link to this thread.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soloist problems. - 01/14/20 05:43 PM
Martin, as a jazz soloist I don’t use this BIAB feature and I don’t have anything to add to Jim’s advice but he’s right, posting this in the main BIAB forum will get you a lot more attention.

EDIT: the post has been moved here. Good.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Soloist problems. - 01/14/20 08:29 PM
What settings are you using in the Soloist dialog? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your Soloist dialog to show what it looks like right before you click OK. You could attach the image to your post using the 'file manager' link.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist problems. - 01/14/20 09:52 PM
Martin,

If you're not familiar with posting a screen shot to the forum, check out +++ THIS +++ thread that forum user Noel96 posted in the Tips & Tricks forum section. grin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Soloist problems. - 01/15/20 09:56 AM
Hi guys, and thank you for all the assistance, it is greatly appreciated. As suggested by Andrew, I've added a Screenie - I hope - thanks for the link Jim.

I know I haven't used BIAB since 2012 but as far as I know I'm doing it the same way I've always done.

Thanks again guys. smile

Attached File
BIAB.jpg  (17 downloads)
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Soloist problems. - 01/16/20 06:44 PM
Hi,

"Copy from..to" cannot copy the audio/RealTracks part, just a MIDI solo part. There are ways you could copy the RealTracks part to another part of the song by rendering the track to wav. You would then edit the wave file using a DAW or by using the audio edit window in Band-in-a-Box itself. When finished, you could leave it as the audio track in BB, or you could rename the wave file to <songname> Soloist.wav if you want to use it as your Soloist track and free up the Audio track.

Alternatively, if you don't need the Soloist to play exactly the same, you could generate it for the whole song, and mute bars / erase sections that you don't need.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Soloist problems. - 02/24/20 04:58 AM
Hi Andrew,
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, I've been away.

I obviously had a memory blanks, as it had been 7 years since I had used BIAB. I'd remembered doing it before but forgot that it was midi I was doing it with then.

The other problems I had seem to have been corrected by re-installing and downloading the updates.

Thanks so much to yourself and everyone else who offered their kind assistance.

Thanks guys! smile smile smile
© PG Music Forums