PG Music Home
Anyone know how to install MP3 Codecs (that work) in Band in a Box 2020?

Using Windows 10, 64 bit.

Thanks.

Michael
HI

The only thing i have found on this recently is in this post here in another forum on this topic.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=81204&Number=577404#Post577404

I guess this done by putting the relevant dll in windows system 32 or windows system depending what you have got hold of.

Mike
The information in the thread referenced in the previous post is mostly regarding RealBand, and it's incorrect for Band-in-a-Box.

Starting with Band-in-a-Box 2018, we use better methods of compressing audio. We use Microsoft's Media Foundation framework which is available on newer versions of Windows (starting with Vista) and replaces the older Audio Compression Manager. Depending on the compression format, you need a newer version of Windows, otherwise we fall back to the older methods of conversion.

For MP3's, Media Foundation requires Windows 8 or higher. Otherwise you'll need to have an MP3 encoder codec installed, and it must be an ACM (Audio Compression Manager) codec.

If you are running Band-in-a-Box 2020 64-bit on Windows 10, you should be able to render MP3's and you shouldn't need to install any additional software. Perhaps there is an issue with a specific format. I suggest that you go to the Audio menu | Export Song as Audio File. Write down or screenshot the settings you have in this dialog, and select MP3 under Format. Report back what you find.
HI Andrew

Thanks for that info regarding Microsoft's Media Foundation framework and mp3 encoding.
That one had crept up on me with out me noticing the change over during updates so they obviously worked flawlessly for me.
I had always had some sort or mp3 encoder on my machines from using Audacity and other software .
So thanks for the info.
Mike
Andrew:

Not to reignite the confusion I started between BIAB and RB here is what I found.

1. In RB When exporting track to .mp3 using "Lame" program reports "Unable to get Stream Size" or words to that effect. It creates a weird .wav file with just a serial number. Additionally the program does generate an ".mp3" file, but the .mp3 it generates has zero K size and no data. So essentially it is empty.

2. Exporting to audio in BIAB does generate the .mp3 as you say.

So is there way to correct the problem in #1, above?

Thanks

Michael
© PG Music Forums