PG Music Home
Posted By: jimlucas Windows Audio Session Error [Resolved] - 02/01/20 06:26 PM
Since I installed the latest BIAB Version 2020 (713), currently running the 32 bit version, when I boot up, I get this message: "Windows Audio Session error: Input and output sample rates must match. Audio input (recording) will be disabled. The error number is -9997."

I also now have a lag between the wav file I create of a BIAB file and my own voice that I record when I use Audacity to do so.

In hundreds of times doing this in Audacity with this computer I've never had this problem until installing BIAB 2020.

My system:
SAMSUNG
LAPTOP-U2BB94DJ
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
RAM 8.00 GB
Windows 10 Home Version 1903
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 02/01/20 06:44 PM
Hi Jim,

You don't mention what your previous version of BIAB was. If it was a couple of versions ago, It's possible that BIAB was running the MME audio driver.

As a test...

1. Please start BIAB

2. Go to "Audio | Audio Drivers/Settings"

3. Select MME as your audio driver -- it's under the dropdown box called "Audio driver type".

4. Exit back to BIAB

5. Restart BIAB

The WAS error will not appear, now.

Now check to see if Audacity works better. I'm guessing that the BIAB error you mention may have impacted on Audacity if BIAB was open at the time you ran Audacity. This doesn't usually happen but, with computers, I've learnt that they work in mysterious ways smile

If you don't do any recording in BIAB, using MME as the audio driver is fine. It's just that it has a huge lag that becomes noticeable when recording audio or MIDI, or playing a MIDI instrument through BIAB.

I always set my driver to MME.

Lastly, it's possible that the problem you are having with Audacity is due to Audacity's settings. That's the next issue though. Try the above first.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 02/01/20 07:28 PM
Now we getting closer, I think. Noel, this might be related to my issue too. I also get these "Session error" thing.

I sent my crash log to PG couple of days ago. Actually 3 crash logs. Two from BIAB console and one by email. So far, I have not heard back.

I do suspect it is related to how BIAB handles audio drivers. I will save this post to my watchlist and if my problem relates to this, I will post back...when I receive an answer.
Posted By: jimlucas Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 02/02/20 01:52 PM
Noel,

That did the trick. Many thanks!!

I will now go to Audacity and see if I can fix that.

Jim
Posted By: danomite Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 04/07/21 12:40 AM
Thanks to Noel96. This got rid of the error message.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 04/07/21 03:01 PM
Quote:
Windows Audio Session error: Input and output sample rates must match. Audio input (recording) will be disabled. The error number is -9997.

This error happens for two reasons - either it's exactly as described and your sound input is set to a different sample rate than output, or there is no audio input device. Often the first case happens when using a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, since the microphone on most of them usually uses a very low sample rate (8-16khz) while the output is usually 44.1 or 48khz. To avoid this when using a Bluetooth device, you need to select something else as the audio input device.

To avoid this error with your regular sound card, you need to set the sample rate properly. Try this:

Right click on the Windows Start menu and choose Run, then enter "control mmsys.cpl sounds" and press OK. This will open up the Windows Sound control panel.

Under the Playback tab, choose your default audio device (with the Green checkmark), then click on Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and choose 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and click OK. If there is only the option of 24-bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), choose that instead. While we're here, uncheck the option to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Next, do the same on the Recording tab with the device that has the Green checkbox. Click Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and choose 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and click OK. If there is only the option of 24-bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), choose that instead. While we're here, uncheck the option to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Once that is done, click OK on the Sound window, then go back to Band-in-a-Box and make sure it is working.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Windows Audio Session Error - 04/07/21 03:30 PM
Simon, Your write-up would sure make a good post in the Tips & Tricks section of the forum. smile
© PG Music Forums