PG Music Home
Hi Folks.
I see Callie posted an important video, an overview of Bar Changes today. So inline with that subject, I do have a question.

Trying to use bar option to change RT's in the middle of the tune. It seems that most of the Rt's I am trying to use at the change, would not start on the first beat of the bar, but on second half. For example #705 Flute soloist...

Is it certain RT-specific thing (it meant to be like that)? Or I am doing something wrong?

P.S. All other tracks that are not swapped play fine, just the ones I am swapping, start playing on second beat of the bar.

Thank you.
Could very well be, especially for soloist RT's (versus accompaniment RT's), that the soloist phrase that was played just happens to start on the third beat. Probably depends on the soloist.
Additionally, to test it, I would probably just choose a style that has that soloist and generate and re-generated 8 bars of chord changes and see where the soloist generally comes in each time.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hi Folks.
I see Callie posted an important video, an overview of Bar Changes today. So inline with that subject, I do have a question.

Trying to use bar option to change RT's in the middle of the tune. It seems that most of the Rt's I am trying to use at the change, would not start on the first beat of the bar, but on second half. For example #705 Flute soloist...

Is it certain RT-specific thing (it meant to be like that)? Or I am doing something wrong?

P.S. All other tracks that are not swapped play fine, just the ones I am swapping, start playing on second beat of the bar.

Thank you.

So its not just me and my BB then? Lol
I regularly use F5 to change instruments midtune, or bring them in and out as required.
I've got so used to this happening I will often bring the instrument in a bar early and then mess with it in DAW.
Thank you John & Sixchannel.

For some reason I had a few soloist (that I liked) in a row that did not want to play from the first beat, no matter how many times I pressed regeneration button.

I found a workaround that partially solved it. I copy>pasted the whole part with soloist right after the one that did not want to start at the first part of the bar, and that "kind" of solved the issue.
First set of bars plays "off" first beat, however the second set starts where it should start. At least now I know how it will sound playing "on bar" smile

It is underlying algorithm thing for sure, that is ignoring regeneration in specific places. I was trying to find a solution to workflow, without involving DAW, and sort of did. Not sure if it will be possible to "glue" it all together properly in BIAB, but at least if I export soloist now, I can extract a wav that would have the line start "on beat".

Misha.

Misha " For some reason I had a few soloist (that I liked) in a row that did not want to play from the first beat, no matter how many times I pressed regeneration button."

John "Could very well be, especially for soloist RT's (versus accompaniment RT's), that the soloist phrase that was played just happens to start on the third beat. Probably depends on the soloist."

Misha "It is underlying algorithm thing for sure, that is ignoring regeneration in specific places. I was trying to find a solution to workflow, without involving DAW..."

So your soloist is starting that phrase on the third beat as John notes but that may be specific to the RealTrack you've chosen. Filter to search by your soloist artist in the RealTrack Picker and you may find there are other RealTracks by your soloist that don't share the same phrasing where the first two beats are skipped. It's also possible the soloist is using the same instrument and same settings so you can seamlessly get audio from that RealTrack to work with your solo.

I use this feature a lot and posted more detail in the Tips and Tricks Forum earlier this year. This can be done from the BIAB Mixer without need of a DAW but it's quicker, more intuitive and easier in RealBand.

In the Tips and Tricks post I found artist Dwight Sills had 8 RealTracks and they all used the same guitar and tone settings. Each RealTrack had a different feel, some swing and some even. They had different tempo's and some were soloists and some were rhythms. But there were phrases in each of the different RT's that I could use and were appropriate for a unique solo I created in a BIAB song. The RealTrack Picker listed a lot of different genres the RealTracks would fit. I posted a Soundcloud link to the song I created the solo from all the different RealTracks in my Tips and Tricks post.

If only 10% of the additional audio from these tracks is found to be compatible with my song's solo track, that's still a considerable increase of material to select from. In your case, you only need a single bar that starts on the first beat. That should be quick work. I found this to be a very useful feature with a lot of applications.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=574903#Post574903
Charlie,
Thank you for detailed reply. There are a lot of tricks to grasp.
RB is a big no-no for me. You know, some folks have phobia of spiders, so me and RB are same way smile

However, I think the "half way solution" that I found is the quickest in BIAB. Just copying whole section with soloist and pasting right beneath it. First will play "off beat" second will play "on beat"...

At least that worked for several soloists (of various instruments) that I tried. That gives me an option to audition soloist without algorithmic road block with whole arrangement, without leaving BIAB and also extract mixer track as WAV, to slice in DAW later.

P.S. A fine "BIAB feature request" topic on Bar-by-bar regeneration / Selected bar freeze, if implemented should solve these algorithm hiccups with ease.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
So its not just me and my BB then? Lol
I regularly use F5 to change instruments midtune, or bring them in and out as required.
I've got so used to this happening I will often bring the instrument in a bar early and then mess with it in DAW.

I tried that RT changing via bar settings a few times quite a while ago, and gave up on it.
Must say i am not a real fan of realband as DAW, as i am used to Cubase Pro.
Feels like kindergarten times again working with it. But i think i'll give it a try, someday LoL.
Fiddler,
Actually I am talking about BIAB (not RB). It is workflow thing smile I like to stay in BIAB for most of RT/RD auditioning, etc. and only move to DAW when most tracks are exported. Ideally (and hopefully!) this: "change RT at the bar" thing will all go away all together and replaced with extra tracks on the mixer. That would be ideal solution for me.

P.S. I can see myself and Mario on a cold and rainy Victoria day, standing by the PG office with banners: "OpEn Up ThE MixEr" & "GiVe mE MoRe ChaNnEls"!
© PG Music Forums