PG Music Home
Posted By: steambc Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/05/20 12:46 AM
I am new to BIAB this year and I was wondering if the program has the ability to create chord progressions on its own. Would someone please steer me in the right direction? I'm in information overload right now as I learn the software, and I can't find that functionality. I know that if it exists, it could well be right in front of my eyes.

Thanks!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/05/20 02:15 AM
Originally Posted By: steambc
I am new to BIAB this year and I was wondering if the program has the ability to create chord progressions on its own. Would someone please steer me in the right direction? I'm in information overload right now as I learn the software, and I can't find that functionality. I know that if it exists, it could well be right in front of my eyes.

Thanks!

Although I haven't actually used it, I think what you are looking for is the Melodist feature.

From Help, it states:

"Feel like composing a brand new song?

Using the "Melodist" feature you can compose a new song in the style of your choice, complete with intro, chords, melody, arrangement, etc. All you have to do is choose from one of the many "Melodists" available and press [OK] button. The program then creates the intro, chords, melody, and arrangement in any given style. The Melodist will also generate a melody over an existing chord progression."
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/05/20 04:02 AM
If you have a melody, then the Chord Reharmonist might also be worth visiting.

Attached picture chord reharmonist.JPG
In Band-in-a-Box, head to:

Melody | Melodist...

Within this window, you have many options to choose from and select.

To generate JUST the chords, simply remove the check-marks next to the other criteria:
-Generate Intro
-Insert Bass Pedals
-Generate Melody
-Solo in Middle Chorus (may already be unchecked, mine is!)
-Allow Style Change
-Auto-Titles

Make sure there's just a check-mark next to "Generate Chords" and then click [OK]

Voila a complete Chord Progression!

Give it a try on a new project to familiarize yourself with the Melodist feature.

We also have some details on The Melodist within our Online Manual, if you're interested in reading about it:
https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2020full/chapter6.htm#automatic-songs-the-melodist

-Callie
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/06/20 10:08 AM
It hasn't really been updated in a DECADE or more, but as suggested, the Melodist is what you're looking for. Songwriting is often a chick-or-the-egg proposition where the more theoretically inclined may write a progression and then fit a melody to it. Less scholarly types can often intuitively create a melody, but have no clue how to harmonize it.

I really wish PG would spend some more time on this. Some styles, like Ragtime, are almost indistinguishable from human creations, but some of the others can be kind of corny.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/06/20 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
It hasn't really been updated in a DECADE or more, but as suggested, the Melodist is what you're looking for. Songwriting is often a chick-or-the-egg proposition where the more theoretically inclined may write a progression and then fit a melody to it. Less scholarly types can often intuitively create a melody, but have no clue how to harmonize it.

I really wish PG would spend some more time on this. Some styles, like Ragtime, are almost indistinguishable from human creations, but some of the others can be kind of corny.

Maybe a good item for the Wish List?
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/06/20 11:48 AM
> It hasn't really been updated in a DECADE or more, but as suggested, the Melodist is what you're looking for.

The Melodist was updated in 2019 to use RealStyles instead of MIDI styles. This was because some of the MIDI styles gave a “corny” sound to the created melody, and the backing tracks now add a more realistic sound (just as they do for other songs).

There is a checkbox in the Melodist that allows you to choose if you want RealStyles or MIDI styles. It defaults to Real Styles.

The melodist can be used to create chords for any song (with or without an existing melody), in various styles.

The reharmonist creates chords from an existing melody (in various styles of chord progressions). It can be used interactively where you see various possibilities, and can replace a few bars for example.
Posted By: steambc Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/06/20 01:36 PM
Thanks, all. I've been experimenting with the Melodist and it seems that at least for me, the best way to use it for inspiration is to compose songs until I find a 4 bar progression that sounds interesting and them to embellish from there. The full songs it comes up with seem to meander around pretty loosely, so I try to catch a short segment that I can use. That's more than enough for me.

Thanks again to all who answered!
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Can BIAB create chord progressions? - 05/06/20 02:42 PM
I have used the Melodist feature extensively, especially the Melodist preset 58 Rock Fast. There are ways to change how the Melodist creates the chord sequences, under the Melodist Maker "edit" button. I have asked for a video explaining the best use of the options under the "edit" button; nothing from Peter Gannon and team, so far.

Under the "edit" button, make changes to the numbers for "Choose Unusual Chord Progressions", "Mix Minor and Major Progressions", and "Number of Variations to Choose From." How those numbers effect the outcome is still a mystery to me and the reason for my video request. But they obviously are doing something.

I usually let the Melodist create a full song for me and then just regenerate the parts I don't like until I'm satisfied, or until I come up with my own chords.

Best of luck.
© PG Music Forums