PG Music Home
When I work with a song, I normally create a dozen or so different tracks (multiple generation and export to files) and finish the work in Cubase.
A very typical need is to tell some tracks/instruments to ignore the holds that I have entered (C.. or C...), or in some cases pushes (^C or ^^C).
Can this be done on a track-by-track basis?

Cheers
Mikael
Breaks - Rests, Shots, and Held Chords

Breaks are points in a song when one or more of the instruments rests, plays a shot, or holds a chord.

- Rests specify any, some, or all instruments to rest at any bar. For example, you could rest all instruments except the bass for the first 4 bars, and then add the piano for 4 bars, and then add the entire band for the rest of the song. You may optionally disable the rests in the middle or final choruses (e.g., where you would likely have a solo, and rests may not be appropriate).

- Shots specify certain instruments play a “shot,” where the chord is played and then a rest follows. For example, the song “Rock Around the Clock” has a shot on beat 1 followed by a rest for 2 bars. The duration of “shots” is 60 ticks per beat.

- Held chords specify that certain instruments hold a chord sustained for a certain number of bars. For example, you can have the bass and piano hold a chord sustained while the drums continue to play a pattern.

A chord can be specified as a by adding a period after the chord.

C. indicates a C chord that is a REST.

C.. indicates a C chord that is a SHOT.

C... indicates a C chord that is a HELD CHORD.

Selecting BREAKS for different instruments.

You can specify that some instruments not be affected by the rhythm break.

The coded names for the instruments are:

B for Bass, D for Drums, P for Piano, G for Guitar, and S for Strings.

To type a rest for all instruments on a C chord type C.

To exempt instruments, add their letters following the break. For example, C.bd will put a rest on all instruments EXCEPT the bass and drums.

To indicate a held chord for all instruments except the piano, type C...p

I believe the same theory holds true for the pushes as well.
In short, generally, yes. In MIDI they should be available always as long as these are available (not all styles have these available). In RealTracks, again, depending on the availability of those phrases with the RealTracks you are using.

Specify the instrument names that you don't want to be affected by the modifier, e.g Ebm7...b will play a hold on all instruments except the bass.
Sorry, I might not have explained thoroughly.

I do know of hard coding exceptions on each push, break etc.

What I would like, is a way to totally exclude one (or several) particular track(s)/instrument(s) from all pushes, holds etc WITHOUT having to go through and re-edit the whole song.

One example:
I create a good general backing track (using all available tracks) with a lot of rests/shots/holds/pushes and then export these wav-files to Cubase. Next I'd like to replace some of the tracks with for instance a solo instrument that completely ignores the rests/shots/holds/pushes. Perhaps also some BIAB vocals, that typically do not handle shots/pushes so well.
For this scenario, it would be very useful to be able to somehow tell individual track(s) to ignore rests/shots/holds and pushes.
Originally Posted By: miseg
Sorry, I might not have explained thoroughly.

I do know of hard coding exceptions on each push, break etc.

What I would like, is a way to totally exclude one (or several) particular track(s)/instrument(s) from all pushes, holds etc WITHOUT having to go through and re-edit the whole song.

One example:
I create a good general backing track (using all available tracks) with a lot of rests/shots/holds/pushes and then export these wav-files to Cubase. Next I'd like to replace some of the tracks with for instance a solo instrument that completely ignores the rests/shots/holds/pushes. Perhaps also some BIAB vocals, that typically do not handle shots/pushes so well.
For this scenario, it would be very useful to be able to somehow tell individual track(s) to ignore rests/shots/holds and pushes.

Could this help??

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Closer, but ... could you do that _per_track_ ?
Originally Posted By: miseg
Closer, but ... could you do that _per_track_ ?

Maybe?
1) Freeze all tracks within the chord chart.
2) Unfreeze the individual track.
3) Dissallow the timing adjustments in song settings
4) Regen and Play. All frozen tracks should maintain the timing adjustment and the individual selected track should lose the timing adjustments. In Theory!

Let us know. This trick with freezing individual tracks have proven effective at times for things like this.
That’s how I would do it.

Another method would be to enter the chords, record those tracks to your DAW, then add the shots and holds etc. and record those. Now you have all the raw materials in your DAW.

I think to do what you want after the fact, without alternately freezing tracks, would require a feature that BIAB doesn’t have, so head to the Wishlist Forum.
<<< I think to do what you want after the fact, without alternately freezing tracks, would require a feature that BIAB doesn’t have, so head to the Wishlist Forum. >>>

The wish list isn't necessary to complete the tasks this user wants to do. BIAB does have a feature to do this. It's available solely within the BIAB Mixer in fewer steps than the alternate methods offered. He can access advanced freezing and saving tracks to folders features by converting individual tracks or combination of tracks to user created Artist Performance Tracks. APT's work with every sound media BIAB recognizes, Midi, samples, loops, RealTracks, RealDrums and live or pre-recorded audio in any combination of these media types. The tracks or renders are frozen, a WAV/WMA file named and saved to a folder. Volume automation and levels, panning, plug-ins, effects, tone are all saved in the rendered file.

In this users workflow, he can generate and save dozens of tracks with or without effects and then generate those same tracks flat, dry and centered without ever leaving BIAB or having to open Cubase or any other DAW.
© PG Music Forums