PG Music Home
Posted By: smallchamber Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 03:25 AM
Hi experts!
I usually generate tracks in BiaB,render them via "Drop" and insert them into Cubase for further tweaking. Since some weeks I noticed an ugly high-frequency noise overlaying the signal.
I tried to change audio driver, but it didn´t help. I would add a sound sample of this noise, but don´t know how to do it in this forum.
Anyone any idea?

Thanks in advance

SC
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 03:35 AM
Adding files, in a nutshell:

Attached picture 2020-06-25_16-33-40.jpg
Posted By: smallchamber Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 03:56 AM
Thanks Video Track,
I´ll give it a try:
"noise 1" is the file as it comes out of BiaB, "noise 2" is the re-amped version which makes it more obvious.

Attached File
noise-01.mp3  (14 downloads)
Posted By: smallchamber Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 03:58 AM
2nd file...

Attached File
noise-02.mp3  (13 downloads)
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: smallchamber
I usually generate tracks in BiaB,render them via "Drop" and insert them into Cubase for further tweaking. Since some weeks I noticed an ugly high-frequency noise overlaying the signal.

Does this occur in BiaB before going to Cubase, or when opening in Cubase?
Are they MIDI or RealTracks?
Posted By: smallchamber Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 05:39 AM
I can´t hear it in BiaB itself. It occures once it is rendered. It´s a Real Track.

KR
SC
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 06:32 AM
Originally Posted By: smallchamber
. It´s a Real Track.

KR
SC
Which one?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 07:55 AM
Sometimes it's difficult to get the required information. Maybe we should know this.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 08:54 AM
Hi

I have downloaded you files and run in Audacity

First I must say the levels were very low and close to the noise floor as you can see in pic one.
After amplifying in Audacity by 19db to bring them up to a workable level (pic two)
You can see that there is indeed an underlying hf even in the first one this gets exaggerated in the second one.
Hope this helps
Mike

Attached picture Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Attached picture Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 11:33 AM
I'm not discounting the report of a problem. It has happened. I've sent a note to PG Music and they issue a patch.

But we need more detail here to duplicate the problem. There are lots of possible reasons for high-pitched noise that have nothing to do with BIAB. Hearing it on top of a distorted electric guitar is difficult.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 06:00 PM
is the original guitar sound from a RealTrack using amplitube? in real life pedals create a certain amount of background noise. does amplitube do the same in BIAB? if so you are reamping an already reamped sound

in live performance you'd use a noise gate to cut out the sound when you are not playing and it would be lost when the guitar comes in. as matt says distorted guitar hides a lot of things.

(including bad playing - mark knopfler and hank marvin play 'clean' and you could hear every mistake if they ever made one! distortion covers the odd fluff)

if the Realtrack has a DI version try using that and then reamping in your DAW
Posted By: Teunis Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/25/20 07:32 PM
Why not simply gate out the noise. I have a Fender Telecaster and they are very noisy particularly in a room with fluorescent lighting. Even recording the old Telecaster results in high frequency noise but it is very easy to gate out the noise.

At the levels displayed you’d not even notice the gating.

My thoughts
Tony
Posted By: smallchamber Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/27/20 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the replys so far!
and sorry for coming back late, but I had to do some more investigations...
1. the noise seems to occure on each real track (even Organs...)
2. The noise also occures if files are rendered on a different computer

Strange...
Off course I could gate it away, especial in the beginning of a song, but at the end of a song, when a chord slowly fades, the noise is more and more prominent.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/27/20 10:50 AM
I guess Mike Head's reply is the answer. Proper leveling is a must in digi-audio land. Going below -12dB is asking for problems like that.

When exporting audio from BIAB you could use maximize, or set the levels by hand in the mixer.

I guess your guitar is recorded in BIAB? What if you record into Cubase?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/27/20 12:42 PM
Are you using any plugins that are not registered?

Since you say the noise occurs on EACH RealTrack, that would seem to rule out the BIAB Program and point to your recording chain. I also think Mike is right, so turn up the gain. There is a very low volume digital hiss that music normally hides, but in your case perhaps it is being heard.
Posted By: rharv Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/27/20 06:06 PM
"but at the end of a song, when a chord slowly fades, the noise is more and more prominent"

This kind of sounds like a compressor issue at the end of the song. Like it's not letting go early enough .. instead maybe it's boosting anything it senses well after it should (?)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 06/27/20 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
"but at the end of a song, when a chord slowly fades, the noise is more and more prominent"

This kind of sounds like a compressor issue at the end of the song. Like it's not letting go early enough .. instead maybe it's boosting anything it senses well after it should (?)
Yes, a very good suggestion here.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 11/12/20 09:45 PM
Ooookkkk.

I remember seeing this thread. Now it is happened to me. BIABMeToo smile
Same symptoms.

Noise was not from actual mixer tracks...
I muted all tracks including trough + audio. 9Even tried freezing them) Was hearing just noise throughout track. I tried so many things. Same type of high pitch noise OP posted. I was on version 728. I was hesitant to upgrade, because it was very stable and did not want to invite new bugs for dinner. In any case, I loaded last Oct 8 patch, seemed to resolve the issue. One thing caught my eye...

After update BIAB prompted for new version of Synthfont download. I went to Synthfont site to read about changes. One thing I noticed:

"Version 3.300 could introduce a slight noise on some VST hosts"
Not sure if that was it, but noise seemed to be issue outside of Real Tracks in mixer (as they were frozen and muted)

In any case, I consider my own situation resolved, just posting this in case someone experiences this and tries my solution. Update to latest patch + (and Possibly update synthfont)
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Ugly high-frequency noise - 11/13/20 04:16 PM
There was in fact a bug in previous builds that caused this kind of noise - we fixed it in build 730.
© PG Music Forums