PG Music Home
Posted By: ClassicMan Remix a RealDrums Style - 07/02/20 04:04 PM
Is there a way to remix the instruments in a RealDrums style. The woodblock or similar in the Latin style I would like to use is too prominent for my song and taste.

I can achieve a near perfect result with the drums audio track in Melodyne but this is very time consuming to work through the entire song track.

I don't suppose we do have the facility in BIAB to remix a realDrums style but I thought I'd just check to be sure.

Thanks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Remix a RealDrums Style - 07/02/20 05:02 PM
You already know the audio for a RealDrums style is a stereo mix so any changes would take skill, expertise and tools like Melodyne to surgically remove one item such as a woodblock.

An alternative would be to move the track to a DAW and use equalization to reduce the unwanted sound frequencies and highlight the remaining desired frequencies. Determine the number of percussion and drum instruments in the stereo mix then duplicate the stereo mix so each instrument can be represented in your new mix. For example name four duplicates kick, snare, woodblock and high-hat. For each instrument track find the center frequency for that instrument. Use shelf filters to diminish all the frequencies around that instrument. Then diminish the woodblock track and increase all the other track's center frequency. Mix the duplicate track levels to taste. The new mix should be closer to what you need.

Of course that is also time consuming. You may also want to go to the +++ RealTracks Wishlist +++ and request a remix of specific RealDrums.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Remix a RealDrums Style - 07/05/20 04:08 AM
I really like some drummers PGmusic hired for BIAB. Sometimes recorded or mixed with too much ambience alas.

But most of the time (when i got enough of that too), i end up replacing them with Superior Drummer etc because of just that. Jim's tips might prove some relief.

I hate some bang-a-gongs in BIAB's RD files most. You can open the (16bit) WAVs in Wavelab and edit volumes of crash cymbals etc. a little, and re-save the RD files back to BIAB. Don't change the length of the files though, or you'll get some monkey RD drumming instead.

With wavelab you could address the loudness at the dreaded woodblock spots; a lot of work probably ....
© PG Music Forums