PG Music Home
Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?
A koto is an amazing and versatile sound.

My main instrument is the flugelhorn, one of the less common instruments.
I went to listen to the Koto. At first I had a bit of trouble finding it but then I re-discovered there are Over 2,900 RealTracks!! Holy cow, had not thought about that in a while.
The jaw harp, the washboard, the autoharp, the bodhran, the bouzouki, the mandola, the guitarron, the vihuela, the charango, the cuatro.... not exactly your average "household shopping list" of names there, eh? Honestly, when you first presented them I had to look most of those up! grin

And I could go on!!
Didn't know there is an Charango! Had to look up what it looks like!

Maybe it is a good Idea for VideoRealtracks? So we could even see, how this seldom Instruments are played as well?
Originally Posted By: OdieSchnitzel
... good Idea for VideoRealtracks? So we could even see, how this seldom Instruments are played as well?
Good idea! There is a Wishlist forum for videos. Consider making a request there.
Randomly spotted this.
Yep some excellent stuff! I used most of mentioned above.
We need some Indian flute too!

Sorry a little spamming:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=609077#Post609077

Check out the flute demo and please support!
I'm waiting for someone to say "Cowbell" ...........
Two great sounding uncommon instruments are alto flute (which I play on occasion) and bass flute (which I wish I had). Both are superb underneath female vocals.
Native American flute. Would be nice adding to rustyspoon thread. One artist I always enjoyed in that area was Nicolas Gunn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rfd8KBUB0

Native American flute, yes. Lovely sound. Some challenges for pitch though.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Two great sounding uncommon instruments are alto flute (which I play on occasion) and bass flute (which I wish I had). Both are superb underneath female vocals.

Ooh, I live alto flute.

I like bass clarinet too.

And what about Clavinet?

And I took the bait - cowbell laugh

Notes
Ok, more cowbell.

Yes, bass clarinet is a versatile sound. Good suggestion. Rare in jazz but effective. Eric Dolphy.
Bass recorder
Melodica
Hang (or large steel tongue) drum
Tabla
Sitar!
Balalaika / Bass Balalaika
Carlos Nakai for Native American flute
been a fan for a long time
An instrument that always caught my eye is the 'hammered dulcimer'. There are some tracks that use this. It's a unique instrument for sure.
© PG Music Forums