PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernard Rasson HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 06:06 AM
Hello All,
I have a recurring probleme with BIAB that happens since many years, with old or brand new version (latest is Audiophile 2020)
if often happens that What You See Is NOT What You Get
let me give you an example that is currently happening:
I have managed to find in my archives several unfinished projects
Here I have an gentle country ballad whose melody is played by a jazz guitar
since the jazz guitar in the latest version of BIAB is much better than the older versions (VCS3, HyperCanvas, Coyote)
I thought I would keep this patch in the final version
but even though the (full midi) mixer clearly indicates this jazz guitar patch in the melody slot, what I hear since this morning is an ugly distorted guitar patch
I have never changed this patch so where does this sound come from ?
It's seriously getting on my nerve because one spend hours with a style for a given song, choosing the patches, balancing the volumes etc and then BIAB ruins your effort
What's going on in there ?
thanks in advance,
Bernard
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 06:52 AM
Bernard,

Two things

Firstly you mention that you are running Audiophile 2020 version, but your signature shows 2018 version ("BIAB Audiophile 2018")

Secondly, can you attach the BiaB song file (.mgu) to a post so others could explore and try to help to solve your issue?
Posted By: Mike Head Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 08:51 AM
HI Bernard.

It sounds as if you have fallen foul of the old zero or one based patch name thing.
Unfortunately some manufacturers like Yamaha number their patches from 1 -128.
Whereas, the standard midi spec is from 0-127.
Standard midi Jazz guitar is patch 27, and patch 28 is clean electric guitar.

So make sure that you choose the appropriate patch list by selecting GM or Yamaha etc in the midi audio drivers / setup page (synthesizer / sound card top right)

You can check what you are actually sending in options /preferences / patch map.
What synth are you using is it coyote wave table or is it an external midi module?
If external, you may need a pat file to suit and the load you midi vices from pat file when choosing you midi voice
Hope this helps.
Mike
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 09:16 AM
Hello All,
I have a recurring probleme with BIAB that happens since many years, with old or brand new version (latest is Audiophile 2020)
If often happens that What You See Is NOT What You Get
let me give you an example that is currently happening:
I have managed to find in my archives several unfinished projects
Here I have an gentle country ballad whose melody is played by a jazz guitar
since the jazz guitar in the latest version of BIAB is much better than the older versions (VCS3, HyperCanvas, Coyote)
I thought I would keep this patch in the final version
but even though the (full midi) mixer clearly indicates this jazz guitar patch in the melody slot, what I hear since this morning is an ugly distorted guitar patch
I have never changed this patch so where does this sound come from ?
It's seriously getting on my nerves because one spend hours with a style for a given song, choosing the patches, balancing the volumes etc and then BIAB ruins your effort
What's going on in there ?
thanks in advance,
Bernard
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 09:34 AM
Hello,
thanks for your help; BIAB is now as complex as a DAW (more?) so is it useful to have a vibrant community around the program(s)
I have said elsewhere that my signature is not up-to date ; I will change it now so people are not confused anymore

PS I am french-speaking so please excuse my english errors
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 10:17 AM
hi,
thanks for your help but I don't think that is the issue now
for 90 % of the time I work with any of the standard soft synth included with BIAB; I only use hardware much later in the process
best regards,
Bernard
Posted By: DrDan Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 11:07 AM
Wow, been a long time since I verified all my midi sounds were functional in BIAB. Been doing my work with the BIAB-VST for the past months. So I DL Bernards file and what a mess. All my SF2 and midi sounds seem to be gone or at least MIA. And ya, the patches sound horrible. Tried to reinstall Timbers and CoyteForte DXi and no go.

Not what I expected to be doing this morning... crazy
Posted By: DrDan Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 11:22 AM
OK, I am getting back on track...

First problem, when I opened Bernards File it defaults to BIAB 32, not 64 which is where my midi synths are all functional. That was a surprise.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 11:49 AM
HI Bernard

Ok now I have seen the file .
I can see that you have a program change at the very beginning of track 6 (melody) on ch 4 this is set to change to Distortion guitar patch 31.
Not certain how this got there, but a quick work around is to go to bar settings and select patch change for bar 1 guitar 2(melody) to jazz guitar patch 27, this will set the voice back to Jazz Guitar.

As a matter of interest I find it much easier to trace this sort of thing by opening the song in REAL BAND as you have a good events list view available.
Just select the track you want to see the events for.
Click on events list
You can delete the event you do not want or change to the patch you do want here with the change button.
Have fun
Mike
Posted By: DrDan Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI Bernard

Ok now I have seen the file .
I can see that you have a program change at the very beginning of track 6 (melody) on ch 4 this is set to change to Distortion guitar patch 31.
Not certain how this got there, but a quick work around is to go to bar settings and select patch change for bar 1 guitar 2(melody) to jazz guitar patch 27, this will set the voice back to Jazz Guitar.

As a matter of interest I find it much easier to trace this sort of thing by opening the song in REAL BAND as you have a good events list view available.
Just select the track you want to see the events for.
Click on events list
You can delete the event you do not want or change to the patch you do want here with the change button.
Have fun
Mike

Ya, that was what I was looking for. Mike, I know you would find it - but wanted to see if I remembered how. In the process I crashed BIAB when I hit the Midi Monitor button and then after stumbling around in RB looking for how to find this info, generated an exception error and had to exit the program.

I guess it helps to know exactly what you are looking for and how to find it. Both these programs can be unforgiving at times.

I seem to remember that the Event List was in BIAB in the past but cold not find it. Here it is in RB (as Mike indicated).

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Dave Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 12:25 PM
I opened the file with BIAB 2019 6 it with no problem. It used P_Whitkr style which is a midi style.

Anyway, I looked at the song in Notation Mode, and used the event editor (#) on the ribbon with the BPDGSMS. It clearly showed a distorted guitar as the very first event. I deleted the event and updated the song and everything worked as expected.

Where did it come from? I have no idea.
Posted By: DrDan Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I looked at the song in Notation Mode, and used the event editor (#) on the ribbon with the BPDGSMS.

Thank you Dave, that was exactly what I was looking for. But really, a (#) to indicate event editor? crazy
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 01:18 PM
Hello,
thanks to everyone who helped
you are really nice guys
I have not the faintest ideal how this patch change got there
In fact, I tend to have similar problems with cakewalk where I cannot find a patch change in the event list or anywhere else
I cannot try the new file now (doing a backup) but I am confident you have identified the problem
have a nice weekend
best regards,
Bernard
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 02:25 PM
Hi Noel,
did you replace the distorted patch by a nylon guitar patch ?
this i what I get now
I also saw that "something" was lost in translation: two other patches were wrong (I did not use any strings) and the title of the song was erased; strange, strange
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/22/20 02:37 PM
Hello all,
it seems the program got back the 5 paches associated with the Whittaker style; do you still have to make a "save with patches" operation to keep your settings ? I thought this was a thing of the past since the is now a "save with settings" checkbox is the save dialog
Posted By: Noel96 Re: HELP ! patch coming from nowhere - 08/23/20 10:56 AM
Hi Bernard,

Yes it is set to Nylon Guitar.

To change that... click on the track name and then follow the 1, 2 on the image below.

I didn't make any other changes. The file that I opened from you, opened with those track settings.

Once you save a song with a specific name, the patches should save with it. I haven't used "Save with patches" for a long time. It might be that occasionally that is necessary, though. It could easily be that I haven't come across the circumstances in which I need to use it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture patch change midi patch.JPG
© PG Music Forums