PG Music Home
Posted By: localhero BIAB 2021? - 09/28/20 09:49 AM
Any ideas whats likely/new/Proposed yet?

I'm still using 2019 and don't want to upgrade to 2020 yet with December looming.

What's everyone's thoughts?
Posted By: sslechta Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/28/20 11:15 AM
Usually in the first 2 weeks of December.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/28/20 11:31 AM
PG Music does not announce new features in advance, so any comments here about that would just be guesses.

If history holds, and there is no guarantee of that, Steve’s timetable is reasonable.
Posted By: WendyM Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/28/20 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: localhero

I'm still using 2019 and don't want to upgrade to 2020 yet with December looming.

Same here.i think I missed loads by not buying 2020 but empty pockets y'know.
Looking forwwrd to what's up for 2021.
W
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/28/20 08:13 PM
I went from 2014's equivalent of Pro to 2019's Mega to 2020's Ultra.

Recently, there's been a 49PAK Bonus available each year.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, while previous Xtra Styles packs, for example, are available for purchase, I don't think previous 49PAKs are. I believe that their contents may eventually work their way into future versions of BiaB, but I'm not sure.

So, most previously released content is available for purchase one way or another.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 12:18 AM
Maybe re-generate selected bars only.
Maybe more tracks.
Maybe Count-In based on actual time-signature of first bar (and Song Settings Count-in) (and RealDrums Count-in Vol adjust).
Maybe a VST to sync the main Biab app to your DAW.
Maybe chord/scale note colors in Piano roll.
Maybe use keyboard styles .sty .prs etc..
Maybe midi chord track for Virtual Instruments and drag export with chord name markers.
Maybe 24Bit Audiophile version option.

So what are you hoping for ?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian
while previous Xtra Styles packs, for example, are available for purchase, I don't think previous 49PAKs are. I believe that their contents may eventually work their way into future versions of BiaB, but I'm not sure.
I don't think this has been definitively established. I think you are right, though.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 02:45 AM
Pipeline laid out a number of possibilities, but the one thing that people have been asking for since I started using BIAB some 20 years ago is to have more than 4 chords in a measure. It would be a game changer to get that.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 05:33 AM
I was just thinking the 2021 threads should be starting soon, and here we are already.
My prediction is that there will be "50 new features". wink

Vintage
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Maybe more tracks.
Maybe Count-In based on actual time-signature of first bar (and Song Settings Count-in) (and RealDrums Count-in Vol adjust).
Maybe midi chord track for Virtual Instruments and drag export with chord name markers.

I'd be more pleased to see a number of existing identified bug issues resolved in preference to a stack of new features. That would really count as product improvements to me.

To add the the excellent list above:
Maybe inclusion of count-in based on a user-defined local song setting rather than a global setting (always or never).
Maybe improved delivery of the multi-riffs feature, keeping selection and control totally within BiaB without having to go to audio level (more like the way RealBand provides this).
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 10:04 AM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
I was just thinking the 2021 threads should be starting soon, and here we are already.

Vintage

This has been such a rough year that I suspect that there might just be 49 new features in BIAB 2021.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 03:57 PM
Don may be on to something with his "49 new features" (tongue in cheek) but perhaps PGMusic will feel sorry for us having to put up with Covid-19 and give us a bonus, as in "51 new features"!

As for what features users would like to see, you may want to review what happened after the BIAB 2020 release, as discussed in this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=579396&Searchpage=2&Main=81526&Words=Lloyd+S&Search=true#Post579396

There I listed what I could find of the "50 new features", and we discussed whether any of them were a direct result of entries from this site's Wishlist forum.

There are folks here who look forward with great anticipation to the 100 or 200 new RealTracks, and aren't too concerned about the new features at all. And there are those (me included) who would rather see more of the users' Wishlist features implemented, with less emphasis on RTs.

I guess PG tries to strike a balance.
My thought is, if you can't create a good BIAB song file with the 1000+ RTs we already have, chances are you won't be able to create a better one with 2000!

Just my 2¢ (CDN) worth!

LLOYD S
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S

There are folks here who look forward with great anticipation to the 100 or 200 new RealTracks, and aren't too concerned about the new features at all. And there are those (me included) who would rather see more of the users' Wishlist features implemented, with less emphasis on RTs.

I'm in that group also!

I guess PG tries to strike a balance.
My thought is, if you can't create a good BIAB song file with the 1000+ RTs we already have, chances are you won't be able to create a better one with 2000!

Just my 2¢ (CDN) worth!

LLOYD S

I can, well maybe in my mind only, create good BiaB songs with or without RTs. As you know I prefer without.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/29/20 05:54 PM
Re-generate selected bars within BB.
Less messy Multi riff.
More RDs please.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 06:46 AM
I am one of those "really happy with how BIAB is working" people.

I look for the new Real Tracks!

...Deb
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
Pipeline laid out a number of possibilities, but the one thing that people have been asking for since I started using BIAB some 20 years ago is to have more than 4 chords in a measure. It would be a game changer to get that.

Absolutely.
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: WendyM

W

Looking forward 2,got a few quid spare as well!!! Lol
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:34 AM
Maybe more tracks.

Thanks for that.Great ideas.
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson

Vintage
Lol and maybe some different types of Genres in Real Tracks maybe?
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Maybe more tracks.

I'd be more pleased to see a number of existing identified bug issues resolved in preference to a stack of new features. That would really count as product improvements to me.

To add the the excellent list above:
Maybe inclusion of count-in based on a user-defined local song setting rather than a global setting (always or never).
Maybe improved delivery of the multi-riffs feature, keeping selection and control totally within BiaB without having to go to audio level (more like the way RealBand provides this).

Great!
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 08:53 AM
Thanks Everyone for your comments.
I have a foot in Both Camps and would like to see Improvements with the Bug Issues and a more Productive Workspace as well as new styles/More Musical Genres (maybe some fusion based). I like to Import certain tracks into my DAW to use with my/others compositions so maybe tighter integration with Studio One/all Daws.
Personally i find in new releases a lot of very similar type Rt's and styles that have already been released (especially in Country and Jazz). Only my opinion though!
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: BIAB 2021? - 09/30/20 04:42 PM
Maybe generate midi drums from Realdrums.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/01/20 12:09 AM
More mixer tracks for me. 16 total, to shut me up. I would only upgrade for that, happily letting go of the rest 47 or 49 features.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/01/20 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: abif
Maybe generate midi drums from Realdrums.

We already have that from a large percentage of our RealDrums. You can see which ones have that by looking at the RealDrums picker - any of them where the # starts with Ntn has MIDI notation, which can be exported to a MIDI file through the main BB app or through the DAW plugin.

Attached picture drums notation.png
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/01/20 10:26 PM
Deb, I hear you. I am kind of with Trevor as well. I would love to see long term bugs fixed a few of the cool ideas Pipeline mentioned maybe less new features and more focus on RTs, and really cool function features. Simon mentioned RT drum charts. A few more of those, keep that rolling.
Posted By: WendyM Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/02/20 06:45 AM

W

The more I think about it,buying 2021 will largely depend on how much new stuff is for people who want it to remain K I S S.
If 2021 is packed full of clever techy-techy for the computer literatti at that expense then I'm probably going to pass.
W
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/02/20 07:18 AM
The more I think about it,buying 2021 will largely depend on how much new stuff is for people who want it to remain K I S S.
If 2021 is packed full of clever techy-techy for the computer literatti at that expense then I'm probably going to pass.
W

Valid points, and worthy of consideration. My hope is that lots of problems that have already been reported will be resolved. More important than a stack of new features in my view, but of course YMMV.
Posted By: sslechta Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/02/20 09:05 AM
W

I've been on the 2 year program for the past few times. I stay on the even number years. 2020 was my last purchase and I'll buy again next year for the 2022 version. Spreads the money out a little nicer and I'm not waaaay behind on versions.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/02/20 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta

I've been on the 2 year program for the past few times. I stay on the even number years. 2020 was my last purchase and I'll buy again next year for the 2022 version. Spreads the money out a little nicer and I'm not waaaay behind on versions.

That seems like a good plan.
I passed on 2020 because nothing in the "Fab Fifty" was particularly compelling for me, and RTs in the categories I use were mainly just more of the same. Your 2 year idea would work.

Vintage
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/02/20 10:22 PM
I'm here for the RealTracks! I would prefer they leave the program alone and not introduce any new buggy features. Just do what they do better than anyone...RealTracks!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/03/20 01:00 PM
1++++++++* with John cubed! Well said

To add fix a couple nagging issue skip the 50 newbies features and give us a huge load of RTs and maybe some new RDs
Posted By: musiclover Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/04/20 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
W

If my memory serves me right, I did a calculation a few years ago and it didn't really work out that cheaper to upgrade every other year, think it was about $40-$50 at max.

I think the whole program could be considered fully mature at the moment, so many realtracks and other stuff, had a look at the GB it occupies and it was 176, that's the 2020 version

But as the same time most users do look forward to what is in the latest offering when it is released in Dec usually.

There usually is a countdown to what people think what date it will be, and I can't see this year being any different
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/08/20 11:32 AM
Maybe arrow keys to choose styles at the StylePicker. So I could navigate thru the Styles with the arrow keys, while listening them by clicking on the button Play.

If I recall, an older version had this feature. I selected a Style once and then could navigate the Styles with the up and down arrow keys.
Posted By: pinglis Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 02:27 AM
Maybe more tracks.

I'd upgrade to Audiophile in a heartbeat IF it was 24 bit OR if it was a bit cheaper. I don't need the hard drive, I can download it!

Also, more than 4 chords in a bar would be great, although I wonder how that would work with RealTracks.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 04:11 AM
The RealTracks should handle the more than 4 chords, but all the old code would need changing throughout I would imagine crazy
Some new skins/themes would be good.

Attached picture Biab-New-Theme.png
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 01:17 PM
Frankly, I would love to see a 24-bit/96k version of BIAB. 24-bit to make it sound less "flat." 96k to make the stretching have fewer artifacts.
I already use the audiophile version, and even stretching the wav files has plenty of chirping going on.

But I know that would take a massive revamp on the back-end, and I'm guessing that nothing was originally recorded above what it's currently at, but that's my wish list.

Oh, and the ability to do chord settings in the VST. I don't understand why I can make bar changes in the VST plugin, but I can't do rests, holds, or pushes in the VST.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: MovingAir
Frankly, I would love to see a 24-bit/96k version of BIAB. 24-bit to make it sound less "flat." 96k to make the stretching have fewer artifacts.
I already use the audiophile version, and even stretching the wav files has plenty of chirping going on.
This is an interesting idea, one I haven't heard here to my knowledge: increasing the sample rate to lessen stretching artifacts. I hope that is technically correct about how the stretching algorithm works; we don't know.

But I know that would take a massive revamp on the back-end, and I'm guessing that nothing was originally recorded above what it's currently at, but that's my wish list.
Again I'm not sure, but from something I vaguely remember, that may not be true. The original recordings might be at a higher bit rate. It's another good question.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 02:38 PM
...But I know that would take a massive revamp on the back-end, and I'm guessing that nothing was originally recorded above what it's currently at, but that's my wish list...

I converted some RealTracks to 48kHz/24bit and they worked fine in the Mac version but not Win.
Yes I think they were recorded at higher than 44.1kHz
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 03:24 PM
...But I know that would take a massive revamp on the back-end, and I'm guessing that nothing was originally recorded above what it's currently at, but that's my wish list...

I converted some RealTracks to 48kHz/24bit and they worked fine in the Mac version but not Win.
Upsampling tracks would certainly work at least the same as long as the program can read them. I think the question being asked is, will they work better for stretching if they were originally recorded at higher bit and/or sampling rates?
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 05:26 PM
I'm sorry if I'm saying what you already understand, but it definitely should improve the sound quality, simply because there will be more "meat on the bone", so-to-speak.

When you stretch a 44 or 48k file from 120 BPM to 100 BPM, for example, the samples have to spread out, and the software has to fill in the gaps. The more you stretch, the more it has to create. This causes artifacts.

Now when you have a 96k file, you have twice as many sampling points, so the software has half of the amount of space it needs to fill in, causing far fewer artifacts.

The same should apply to the pitch shifting as well: The frequency changes affect the distance between sampling points. More samples, less artifacts.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 07:45 PM
Thank you, MovingAir. I completely agree with you in theory.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: pinglis
I'd upgrade to Audiophile in a heartbeat IF it was 24 bit OR if it was a bit cheaper. I don't need the hard drive, I can download it

Moving to 24-bit would require a larger external hard drive, as 24-bit files are 50% bigger than 16-bit files. Our ~1.5TB of files in an Audiophile edition would end up being ~2.3TB. I'd personally love a 24-bit Audiophile myself.

Downloading is still not on the table yet, given the file size. We've sold thousands of copies of BB 2020 Audiophile, so that would be in the order of petabytes of data transfer for our file servers if we had it downloadable. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a downloadable Audiophile edition happen, for our customers who live in countries where we can't ship to. Perhaps lossless compression could come into play there, but I imagine there would need to be some backend programming done in BB to make that happen.

24-bit 96K would be even bigger! Our 1.5TB would suddenly become ~4.9TB of files! Again, I'd personally love a 24/96 BIAB, but storage and transfer become an even bigger issue that way.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Upsampling tracks would certainly work at least the same as long as the program can read them. I think the question being asked is, will they work better for stretching if they were originally recorded at higher bit and/or sampling rates?

I don't know what rates the RealTracks were recorded at, but almost certainly many of them were recorded at 44.1khz. Upsampling a native 44.1khz won't necessarily make it easier to stretch, as technically there's some stretching going on to take 44.1k samples and interpolate them up to 48k or 96k etc, so I can't imagine there would be any sonic benefit in doing that. Now if the native files were at a higher sample rate, that's totally different, but given space requirements I don't personally expect that to happen in the near future. That said, I'm not in the development team so really anything could happen there.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 08:49 PM
Toontrack ships a 250gig 48kHz/24bit USB 3.0 drive for Superior Drummer 3.
I think some of the originals may have been recorded @ 44.1kHz/16bit but I asked for 48/24 maybe 10 years ago so I think that would of at least got them to start recording @ a higher rate.
You could put a column for the recorded rates in the RealTrack/RealDrums pickers maybe ?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/09/20 09:28 PM
My hope is for the 2021 Band-in-a-Box for Windows manual to be a completely revised manual.
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/10/20 05:58 PM
Yes, that would get quite sizable. What about an option to ship BIAB on a 3.5" internal drive that people can install into their computer, rather than a more expensive external drive? I always transfer it onto an internal drive anyway. Then you could put it on a 4TB HDD for the same cost as what you're probably paying now for the 2.5" external drives.

This would also save HOURS of transfer time for someone like myself. Food for thought.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/10/20 07:20 PM
+1 4TB 3.5" internal drive
Not sure what the shipping weight difference would be ?
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/11/20 11:18 AM
Yes, that would get quite sizable. What about an option to ship BIAB on a 3.5" internal drive that people can install into their computer, rather than a more expensive external drive? I always transfer it onto an internal drive anyway. Then you could put it on a 4TB HDD for the same cost as what you're probably paying now for the 2.5" external drives.

This would also save HOURS of transfer time for someone like myself. Food for thought.

This assumes that the user has the capability to install an internal drive, has the power supply to run it, and is not using a laptop.

But I would go with that as an optional purchase.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/12/20 06:17 AM
PG do a great job but i'd like 2021 to work right straight out of the box. with 2020 we're still getting patches in October.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/13/20 01:38 PM

250gb of 24/48k stereo audio translates to around 241 hours of audio, assuming the drive is 100% full and only contains audio files - they actually advertise only 230gb of audio content, so it's more like 221 hours. Band-in-a-Box has 3,100 hours, hence the 2tb drive for 16/44.1k.

An internal drive is definitely not happening - can you imagine requiring the average user open up their computer to install a hard drive? Like MarioD mentioned, most of our users are running laptops, so that wouldn't be possible anyway. We could theoretically use a 3.5" external drive, but that would require an external power supply for it.

External 2.5" 4tb drives already cost about the same as a 3.5" 4tb internal anyways, so it wouldn't make much difference in price.

+1 4TB 3.5" internal drive
Not sure what the shipping weight difference would be ?

A 3.5" drive weighs 1.3lb vs a 2.5" drive weighs 0.3lb.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
This assumes that the user has the capability to install an internal drive, has the power supply to run it, and is not using a laptop.
But I would go with that as an optional purchase.

Even being optional and with numerous disclaimers, some customers who don't have the capability or necessary hardware to install an internal drive would still end up buying it, and then we would have to try to support these customers. Definitely not happening.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/13/20 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

250gb of 24/48k stereo audio translates to around 241 hours of audio, assuming the drive is 100% full and only contains audio files - they actually advertise only 230gb of audio content, so it's more like 221 hours. Band-in-a-Box has 3,100 hours, hence the 2tb drive for 16/44.1k.

PG ships a 2TB but there's not 2TB on it, more like 1.5TB

Even being optional and with numerous disclaimers, some customers who don't have the capability or necessary hardware to install an internal drive would still end up buying it, and then we would have to try to support these customers. Definitely not happening.

"Definitely not happening" that has been PG's motto for 30 years. The whole system is built around PG thinking that all users are incapable and you have to hold their hand. That's why it has been stuck in the 90's for so long and is not as professional as most other software.
They could just buy a 3.5/2.5" hard drive enclosure usb 3.0 or better still have that as an option. We can't all be treated as the lowest common denominator.

US $7.02/ea

Attached picture HD-Dock.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/13/20 05:03 PM
I would appreciate having the choice of a large internal drive I could install. Then, perhaps every other year or every two, a downloadable patch or a flash drive. I’ve built all my own PCs since 1983; PG Music can’t offer a way to get updates that I cannot work with. I suspect more than a few others here are quite capable with any kind of update technique. Choice is good.
Posted By: rharv Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/13/20 08:38 PM
I agree, many 'power users' could take good advantage of this option.
A simple checkbox like "I know what I'm doing and have the connections" during purchase could alleviate most support issues .. I simply copy/update the new external to an internal drive anyway.

Adding/replacing/updating an internal drive is not a problem for many of us, and if the alternative is adding a caddy option to accommodate the new drive itself, not a big deal either these days.

Just my thoughts ..
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/14/20 09:09 AM
4TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Purchase Option.
JUST DO IT !
Click to reveal..

I've had more 2.5" drives fail than 3.5", the last Seagate 2.5" 2TB Audiophile drive I got failed before I had a chance to copy it to an internal.
You know how long I've been at this, trying to get PG out of the past ?
It's like there's deep state blocking it all the time.
Don't wait another 10 years to see the light then do it.
Sorry guys but I'm just worn out from it all these days frown
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/14/20 07:29 PM
I sincerely doubt we will ever have the option for a 4tb internal drive, for many reasons. First and foremost being the non-power users who don't have the capability of installing a hard drive - and for power users who do, they will have the skills necessary to buy a large internal drive and copy BB to it themselves.

Likely what will happen is we'll move to 4tb 2.5" external drives when we need to. We're currently at 1.51tb for the largest possible BB install (on Mac), so we don't need to switch to a 4tb yet.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/14/20 07:56 PM
So that gives us no HOPE at all, thanks.
But hey, just go back through the forum and you will see what happens, 10 years is usually the lag time from going over the heads until the light is seen.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/14/20 08:01 PM
Simon, I want to thank you for engaging in this thread and sharing information and your opinion. I may disagree on a point, but as I do not see the big picture, I respect your reasoning and have confidence the company will continue to assess the needs of the customers and respond accordingly.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/15/20 06:08 PM
See that's the problem, if you get new blood in they have to be loyal to the old guard and keep it in the past.
If I worked for PG I would have to do the same, that's why I couldn't do it, I couldn't be honest and give constructive criticism, I would have to limit and constrain myself into the 90's.
The Biab Plugin is a prime example, I pushed for that years ago and when it was finally released as beta I said don't release this as it will be a flop because there are too many issues and it's not working how it should. I FELT all the disappointment of users, and that hurt.
Then I spent years nagging trying to get it right (and that too was a massive fight, and just to get industry standard solo/mute buttons)
If it was just Adar listening to the users (like Attila does below in the RapidComposer forum) and being able to work on the BBW4 code it would be way ahead, like I mean WAY ahead, but he is so restricted, I couldn't do that I'd go crazy crazy .

So, should I bother anymore or just give up ??
because it really does take a lot out of me.
I don't have shares in PG so I'm not doing it for myself.

Originally Posted By: musicdevelopments
Feel free to post feature requests about RapidComposer in this thread, or start a new thread.
We will implement every sensible request, as it happened in the past.

Thank you,
Attila
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/15/20 11:48 PM
Simon,
I disagree with this:
"I sincerely doubt we will ever have the option for a 4tb internal drive, for many reasons...."
"Ever" is very slippery word.

24 bit Audiophile anyone?

I hope that mr.G. sees this issue more openly.

External cases are dirt cheap. If I had a say beyond forum I would encourage to offer UltraPack and Audiophile on a customer choice of HD.

a) Outgoing, but cheap external spinner or
b)SSD shipped in external "usb" case, for those who do not want to tinker with stuff, but still want a fast / reusable HD.

With upgrades, I would offer an option of just new content on Flash drive. I believe, even Audiophile does not add more than 256G yearly, so I would offer exactly that, a 256GB (Usb3.1) flash drive with just new yearly content...

Yes, price point will change "somewhat" for those who would want SSD, but folks (and I am sure quite a few users) will see it as investment.

P.S. I think a 2TB SSD should be "enough" for next few years (until 4tb becomes more affordable), unless 24bit is coming soon smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 01:26 PM
See that's the problem, if you get new blood in they have to be loyal to the old guard and keep it in the past.

As a member of the old guard, and presumably the object of your comment, I think a few statements are in order. First, I hope I have never objected to your suggestions for improvement, nor anyone else’s. I do ask for clarification a lot, but when I don’t support a suggestion I just ask that the developers make the new feature a choice so I can work the way I think best for me.

Second, I support having choices, including a large internal drive. As was mentioned above I’m willing to check a box when ordering that says I know how to install it.

Third, I was taught that you catch more flies with honey. What use will it serve to chase away a PG music staffer who is willing to converse with users and share his opinions? He needs to feel comfortable interacting with us and being honest. I already stated I disagree with this one opinion but I can respect it at the same time. Will he come back here? I hope so. This has nothing to do with being old guard.

Fourth, I truly love and respect all the terrific suggestions of those who are new to this forum. But those newcomers should not presume that their ideas may not have been discussed years or even decades before. We all have our own style, and mine produces results, if slowly. Let’s keep things positive here and show the company we support them even if we disagree with their approach on occasion.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 03:14 PM
...As a member of the old guard, and presumably the object of your comment, .. What use will it serve to chase away a PG music staffer who is willing to converse with users and share his opinions? ...

Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
...An internal drive is definitely not happening.... Definitely not happening.

Opinion ? the not is in bold type, that's way more than an opinion, that's an executive position.
Old guards keep thing in the past, if you see yourself as an "old guard" then that's what they do, they guard things from being changed, forever.
"Seeing the Light" is exactly that, seeing the light, if you can't see the light it does not mean the light is not there.
As I keep saying I see users come over the many years, suggest things because of their frustration only to get jumped on and got rid of by long time forum members, and then they never return as you can see by their post numbers, yet they saw the light and told the truth.
...I respect your reasoning and have confidence the company will continue to assess the needs of the customers and respond accordingly.

confidence ?? I'll be dead and gone before that happens, honestly.
Now that is the VERY thing that has enabled PG to stay in the past.
If you can't SEE that PG has been stuck in the past, then you are out of touch and IN the past, it is now 2020 not 1990.
I think most companies that started around the same time as PG are way ahead and up to date in development.
I honestly think it's all too deep seated to change.
If those that have tried in the past have been got rid of, I can't see much HOPE.
That's why I ask "So, should I bother anymore or just give up ??"
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 03:52 PM
On the topic of 3.5" HDs: Just to clarify, there was no 'executive decision' made on this topic, so you should view it as a discussion.
Also, you might recall, we actually did ship 3.5" drives with an enclosure and power supply for some time, many years ago before high capacity 2.5" drives became practical/widely available.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 04:24 PM
Pipeline,
I agree with some (if not most) points you made, but I am giving a huge credit to PG team for past 2 years of improvements. I am lucky to see the growth spurt happening right since I joined...But, I can see exactly what you are talking about too. I am confident that software part can be tuned right. If I had to guess, there is only about 5-7 BIG requests, other things are just touch ups... and most of these big requests are not science fiction. RT content is phenomenal! It is not an easy time for most of us. Main thing now for PG to pull through this havoc.

Andrew,
I think, having a small stock of 2.5 SSDs and having an option to purchase SSD instead of spinning hard drive is a very good idea. By default, SSD's can be shipped USB "cased" to avoid "misunderstandings". Those who want to use these internally or any other way, they would be able to do so with ease smile
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 06:12 PM
THANKS ! yes you are both right. HOPE thanks !
I remember the Audiophile drive being 3.5" it was that shiny black enclosure with the little fan. It was USB 2.0 so I took it out of the enclosure and put it in the PC.
An yes there have been good changes in the last few years, there was a lot of resistance by PG to go 64bit but Apple forced the 64bit version of Biab we now have.
Let's not stop, more HOPE PLEASE.
48kHz/24bit should not have to be forced by Apple, it should be available now.
Sorry I am just shell shot from years at it. Positive things lift me up, negative things get me down, and God knows we all need positive things now.

And here is one a wise man just gave me
Quote:
There are many music-tech forums with a lot more energy and life than remains in the old PGMusic Forum.

that is so true and PG needs to ask why.

I will give another example.
I went to the Ardour forum trying to get them to add GUI scripting so I could port ReaTrak into it as they have extensive Lua bindings for Lua scripting (thanks to Robin over there !), though you can only choose from 9 at a time, but anyway it turned into a huge fight with the old guard, same in the Mixbus forum, so I gave up.
You just need to compare the number of Reaper users, and Reaper was released a year after Ardour and 100 years after Biab, look in the forums. Reaper like Winamp is made for users to tweak it how they like (and how popular was WinAmp ?) but to do that that with Ardour you need to know C++ and compile it.
Maybe Justin had that problem with the old guard so decided to build his own DAW. You don't get old guard in the Reaper forum blocking things from happening, same in RapidComposer.
PG and Ardour(even being free) needs to ask why is Reaper more popular, has Justin seen the light ?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 07:14 PM
Isn’t Reaper still free?
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 07:39 PM
Isn’t Reaper still free?

Reaper was never free. For non-professional use $60 for two primary revision versions. But, and this is a big but, they don't lock their product in any way or restrict beyond a 6 sec nag screen reminding you that the 60 day introduction period has elapsed. This has been the subject of much controversy over the years. Similar to PGMusic, it is the way the owner wants it to be done.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/16/20 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
With upgrades, I would offer an option of just new content on Flash drive. I believe, even Audiophile does not add more than 256G yearly, so I would offer exactly that, a 256GB (Usb3.1) flash drive with just new yearly content...

YES ! it could have an installer that would update the Audiophile drive with the new Biab/RB/Plugin/RealTracks/Drums/SMT/Loops/Styles/Demos and any of the old RT/RD that have been fixed/updated.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/17/20 03:57 AM
This is Rustyspoon's modern 2020 thinking BiabVST Plugin example, that's seeing the light:

Posted By: shlind Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/17/20 10:38 AM
I don’t find any Forum Topic for User Wishlist so I add mine here.

I would like to request a new function “user interface/menue” to be added to BIAB 2021 to provide a simple “Strum Machine” with basic and simple functions like the “Strum Machine” https://strummachine.com/.

It ought to be trivial to add a function like that in BIAB.
It might also to be a good opportunity to bring back/in users of the Strum Machine into BIAB.

I have received some suggestions here on the forum on how to use BIAB as a strumming machine but I don’t get it to sound like I want to. It does not sound as I want it to sound and it is too complicated.

I just want very basic guitar strumming as backing to my practicing (as in the Strum Machine”) and I find most RealTracks to complex.
I think there may be many users who would like to have an option like that. Some comments from users of the Strum Machine is that they have moved over from Band in a Box to Strum Machine because it is too complicated in BIAB.

(yes I know I could put in the chords and look up a style and deselect the instruments I don’t want and change the instruments to what I want but I never get it to sound as I want. The playing is too complex. I want a much simpler sound/playing like the Strum Machine see link above).
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/17/20 11:22 AM
Hi Shlind

There is a User Wishlist available, at this location.

You may also consider posting there.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/17/20 04:22 PM
I suggested that in the RapidComposer forum and it was just added in a short time.
RapidComposer Strum Pattern Generator can generate just about any strum you need on your virtual guitar, it can combined finger picking and strumming to patterns that can be saved and use over any chord progression, you can set the mutes to any keyswitch or velocity. The keyswitches are saved with the patterns.
RapidComposer also has a VST version that can be used in Biab.
Patterns can be shared with other users. It will import BB Chord Output track, you can fill the track with the same pattern.

But sure if PG made one for Biab it would be great.
Full Screen Pic

Attached picture RC-Strum-Pattern-Generator2.png
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 04:24 PM
Speaking of external storage, this came through my in box this morning:

https://www.wish.com/feed/xparam-5f8b723...3&share=web

Just sayin' ...
LLOYD S

(In case the link doesn't work, it's a USB3.0, 2TB thumb drive for $23.74)

Newest USB 3.0 Flash Drives Metal USB Flash Drives Disk Memory OTG U Disk for Laptop PC 2 Colors
$23.74
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 04:45 PM
That's a terrible lot of bytes for a thumb drive, that would bring the price and shipping right down !
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 05:39 PM
You usually get what you pay for. Just sayin'.
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 06:17 PM
I wouldn't pay $2.50 for a 2TB anything off of wish.com. Not worth the headache.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 06:44 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-USB-3-0-Flash-Drive-2TB-U-Disk-External-Storage-Memory-St-snNNN/363130939162?
Note:
This item is upgraded by 32 GB Pen Flash Drive to 2TB
32 GB = aproximadamente 28GB-30GB
32GB-2TB, the actual capacity is 32G, the computer displays 2TB, the detection is also 2TB, more than 32G things can be stored, but not displayed.

This is the real deal:
$999.95
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2TB-Kingston-DataTraveler-HyperX-Ultimate-GT-USB3-0-Flash-Drive-never-used/254739494174?
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/18/20 10:24 PM
2tb flash drives... we are still at least 3-4 years from affordable+reliable choices.

This one is one of the best and somewhat affordable options today:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383286127396

It is not quite as small as that flash drive that Pipeline mentioned, but about 1/2 size of 2.5" external SSD drives. Super fast.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/19/20 09:12 PM
Speaking of external storage, this came through my in box this morning:

https://www.wish.com/feed/xparam-5f8b723...3&share=web

Just sayin' ...
LLOYD S

(In case the link doesn't work, it's a USB3.0, 2TB thumb drive for $23.74)

Newest USB 3.0 Flash Drives Metal USB Flash Drives Disk Memory OTG U Disk for Laptop PC 2 Colors
$23.74

It's most likely a fake. Most cheap flash drives and SD cards are faked to look like they're a much larger capacity than they are. There's a reason the Kingston 2tb stick was well over $1000 when it was introduced not too long ago.
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/24/20 03:25 PM
I'd still be happy with a 4TB internal 3.5" 7200 RPM HHD option holding all those sweet, sweet, 24/96 tracks. I don't know if that's simpler/more cost-effective than putting together a thumb drive with audiophile updates or not, but regardless, I'd still be happy with it.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 10/24/20 04:53 PM
If you want 96 you would need more T's
a 3min stereo wav file and WavPack Lossless:
16/44 35meg (WavPack 19meg)
48/24 56meg (WavPack 32meg)
96/24 113meg (WavPack 63meg)
192/24 227meg (WavPack 120meg)

most DAW can use WavPack but Biab could convert to wav to use same as it would with wma.

Posted By: Vincente Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/01/20 03:41 PM
PG music should create a storage on Cloud server contents all styles, real tracks. Users who paid monthly can access these resources

My one cent suggestion.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/01/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Vincente
PG music should create a storage on Cloud server contents all styles, real tracks. Users who paid monthly can access these resources

My one cent suggestion.

Perhaps you might consider putting this in the Wishlist section.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/01/20 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Vincente

My one cent suggestion.

Something similar was suggested also:
Biab Online Tracks Download
Posted By: musiclover Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/01/20 08:05 PM
I did put in a wishlist item for something similar, but its seems not a lot of users would be interested in it.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=562588&Searchpage=1&Main=79501&Words=musiclover&Search=true#Post562588
Posted By: mal Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/11/20 12:12 PM
More acoustic fingerpicking please.
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/11/20 09:43 PM
My modest thoughts after 1 year of use :

- more choice of drums variations. Right now you have a) and b) (in blue or green) and within them you have a few choice of drum variations but firstly not all styles have a a) and b) with different drums variations so it would be nice to implements variations in all RT styles ; and secondly it would be nice to have more possibilities so that we can really have more flexibility in terms of drum patterns during a whole song. It will make the song sound more real

- expand the numbers of tracks within the mixer to 12 or 16 so that we don't have to use Realband (which btw is clunky on my pc and doesn't work that well).

- add more solos for sax, trumpets, pianos etc so that you have more choice when you want to add a soloist playing in your tune.

- more Hip hop grooves. There are only a few and not all are great, which makes the choice limited. I don't think adding more country/americana or pop styles is important since the offer is already HUGE. So focusing more on others styles like hip hop would be neat.

- have a REAL 6/8 time signature !!!!!

- more 3/4 time signatures

- review the chords accepted AND correctly played by BIAB like minMaj7, minMaj9 etc.

- rework on the vocals (ahh ohhh) : sorry to say but they sound great when you audition them but once you add them to your song they are BAD!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/11/20 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
My modest thoughts after 1 year of use :

- more choice of drums variations. Right now you have a) and b) (in blue or green) and within them you have a few choice of drum variations but firstly not all styles have a a) and b) with different drums variations so it would be nice to implements variations in all RT styles ; and secondly it would be nice to have more possibilities so that we can really have more flexibility in terms of drum patterns during a whole song. It will make the song sound more real
More Real Yes(you can change RD's at any bar with F5), That has been suggested way back in 1954, there are even ways of doing it RealDrums Intros, Solos & 4 Bar Endings Tutorial

- expand the numbers of tracks within the mixer to 12 or 16 so that we don't have to use Realband (which btw is clunky on my pc and doesn't work that well). Hopefully this December !
- have a REAL 6/8 time signature !!!!! RealTimeSignatures YES, though maybe easier to implement in the Plugin version because of Biab limitations:
Notes: For TimeSigs higher than
4/4, each bar will be spread out
over 2 or more bars (eg. 5/4 will be
written as 3/4+2/4).

Posted By: Blues1952 Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/17/20 12:03 PM
I will probably be ok with whatever I get this year. But some day (year) we will get greatly improved control over drums. Then I’ll be complete.
Posted By: Graham Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/19/20 06:23 PM
I'd love to see an Everything MIDI Upgrade Package - with all of the available Styles, Solists, Super Tracks, etc.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/19/20 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Graham
I'd love to see an Everything MIDI Upgrade Package - with all of the available Styles, Solists, Super Tracks, etc.

A SUPER BIG +1
Posted By: MovingAir Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/20/20 04:13 PM
more choice of drums variations. Right now you have a) and b) (in blue or green) and within them you have a few choice of drum variations but firstly not all styles have a a) and b) with different drums variations so it would be nice to implements variations in all RT styles ; and secondly it would be nice to have more possibilities so that we can really have more flexibility in terms of drum patterns during a whole song. It will make the song sound more real

I would agree with this. Also, make it easier to create hybrid drum patterns. For example, I was looking for a kit that would give me snare on 3 in the verse and 2 & 4 in the chorus. After a half hour, you get tired of clicking on everything to see what it does trying to find something.

Plus the way it can double up on 1, hit random things on shots, or play through holds. Honestly, I would like the ability to take the parts that have been played, convert them to GOOD MIDI, and map it in BIAB to match EZDrummer or whatever drum sample software you have, and do a good MIDI export. 90% of the time, I'm good with what BIAB offers right out of the gate, but the option to use BIAB as source for other software when you can't find exactly what you need would be a nice alternative.
Posted By: Del3535 Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/21/20 02:30 PM
+1
Posted By: localhero Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/22/20 07:50 AM
Some Great ideas here.Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

Not Long to Wait now (I hope)!!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/24/20 05:17 PM

Huh? I do that all the time. I regenerate selected bars on almost every song I do.

Quote:
Maybe more tracks.

More than 48? Move your tracks to Pro Tools and you have what, 256?

What am I missing here? It seems like the major items on that list are already there.

MY wish list includes STOP CRASHING for no apparent reason. And instead of blindly defending the product, fix the problems. If it is only one person has the problem, it deserves attention. I can't tell you the number of times I have sent logs, screen shots, etc... only to be told "We can't recreate the issue." So despite my paying the same amount of money as people who don't have a problem, I just have to live with memory addressing errors and not be able to finish songs? I can't justify spending money on this stuff when every session is met by crash after crash, then blaming it on my computer. Also making the virtual instruments play as loud as the audio tracks. Whenever I use virtual instruments I have to turn down the audio tracks to almost completely inaudible levels to hear the MIDI tracks to play them in. Why should that be? I did it this morning when I was doing some horn parts. Couldn't hear them at all. I finally switched to analog and played them in on a sampler rather than having to alter 9 other tracks to hear 1.

Not holding my breath.

I suppose I shouldn't have even made this post because I use Real Band exclusively, but bugs are bugs and need to be fixed.

Posted By: Bob Calver Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/25/20 10:00 AM
when i need to balance mid tracks and audio tracks i render the midi to audio then normalize

clunky but effective and it helps when midi tracks are not loud enough which i've experienced like eddie
Posted By: candreva Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/25/20 12:48 PM
I would like the possibility to create video usertracks, not only audio but also videos of musician friends who create video styles and that I can use for my songs with their physical presence in video.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/26/20 04:01 PM

- review the chords accepted AND correctly played by BIAB like minMaj7, minMaj9 etc.

Could you start a new thread and elaborate on this, please? I have no trouble with mMaj7 chords. There are a few things to consider.

mMaj9 chords are not supported in BIAB, so I'm not sure what to say.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/26/20 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: candreva
I would like the possibility to create video usertracks, not only audio but also videos of musician friends who create video styles and that I can use for my songs with their physical presence in video.

That's a very neat idea. I can imagine it will be difficult to implement, and subsequently difficult to record your own video Usertracks, but I'll suggest the idea to the development team to see what they can do.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/26/20 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: candreva

I suggested for them to record the RealTrack Artist with green screen so you can add them in your video smile

You can do all what you need in Reaper be it drums or instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol-U-ybM4qA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hrg9xIG_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQIB5RYLG0
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/27/20 10:07 AM
i'm kinda leery of user video implementations, if they "bloat" up the biab program executable.
next people will want fancy video editing tools, and so here comes the bloat.
why not use a seperate fancy video software with all the audio and video editing tools. ? once the song is done ?
i think other needed features people have asked for for a long time have higher priority.
wouldnt realband be a better solution for adding advanced
video features ?
yeh i know its a nice idea (eg add music to home videos/
band live events // gigs etc.) i'm just worried bout BLOAT.
best.
muso.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/27/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
i'm kinda leery of user video implementations...

It's already there, it would use the existing Video RT/RD function for UserTracks video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ge0plRJxZ4
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/27/20 07:09 PM
pipeline.
i AM aware of video RTs. i have ultrapak 2020.
my own wish is that biab not bloat up into a fancy huge video editing app.
that impacts other features people want.
like that nice tabbed chord view, and 16 traks i want. lol.

there are lots of video apps. from cheap to crazy expensive.
i'm worried bout reaper for the same reason. b l o a t .
if i want a fancy video//editing app i'll get one.
magix has a cheap one i believe.

as video stands now. fine. just worried bout bloated exe's.
maybe pg should ask users to partake in user referenda as to future features.

best/every happiness.
muso.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/27/20 07:22 PM
As I said Reaper can do all of that with your UserTracks.
But if they did enable that for usertracks it wouldn't be any bigger.
But I think the b l o a t horse has already bolted.
You know what's not given enough credit and hardly anyone knows about ?
"Band In A Box Lite®" C:\bb\BBPlugin\Files\Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin Standalone.exe
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/27/20 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
i'm kinda leery of user video implementations...

It's already there, it would use the existing Video RT/RD function for UserTracks video.

Yes, since the technology to play video RT's is already in BIAB, I think it would only require the user interface additions to control it. Adding editing functions, definitely not, but anyone creating their own Video Realtrack would have to have their own video editing software anyway.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/28/20 12:26 PM
Pipeline.
re biab daw plug in standalone mode.
ive checked it out several times. and its v nice.
I DO like the screen display. and extra slots.
but shame many features missing.
no mixer display for example.
eg i would like to balance the traks ie pan/volume.
breaking news , looks like 2021 has more biab traks.

best.
muso.
ps. simon. goodness i hope biab devs dont go wild on adding
complex video editing features.
it s bloat i'm worried bout.
btw give the devs my xmas wishes. i know its not easy keeping all users happy. been there , done that.
Posted By: candreva Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/29/20 02:43 PM
thanks, PG Music the best.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/29/20 04:10 PM
I don’t think any of the main new features are bloat. Many were user requests.
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/29/20 09:33 PM
I looked at the new features of BIAB '21 and immediately had Windows-envy.

Now for us Mac guys, the long wait begins... :-)

Looks really awesome, PG Music folks, great job! Looking forward to being able to upgrade myself!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2021? - 11/29/20 10:13 PM
Maybe not so long. Now that both use the same code base (we were told), the Mac version can appear sooner than was done years before. You might be surprised.
© PG Music Forums