PG Music Home
Perhaps I have some settings that need to be changed.

I put the following chords in BIAB using RT 165 Son Montuno w/Piano Comping.

Am|Dm|G|Cmaj7|Fmaj7| Bm7b5|E7|Am|...8 bars

The RT Piano part is playing out of time on two chords no matter how many times I regen it.

The bass part is in time.

I could understand starting a piano chord after the one but not in the measure before.

Obviously this could be fixed in Melodyne but what a pain! Better for me to just play the piano part myself.

Am I missing something?

Billy
Billy,

What Style did you use?

I am having some difficulty in understanding the RealTrack that you mentioned (RT 165 Son Montuno).

Could you be referring to a Style _SONMOPC which has a tempo of 165, and uses RT 1820?

If so, then yes, the comping might lead just slightly on some measures. I don't know if this is deliberate or not. You might report it to PG Music Support to see if they have any comment.

I created the song you described with a tempo of 165 and didn't notice any real major problems. Slower tempos might exaggerate this though.
Maybe post the song here, and tell us what bar(s) demonstrate what you think is a problem?
Thanks guys. I will post something tomorrow.

I played the Test 1820 Piano Comping.sgu. There was no noticeable timing issue so I assume I have some issue somewhere.

I will post the sgu tomorrow. Late here and I am a bit tired...just what happens when you get old...lol

Thanks,

See you guys tomorrow.

I forgot how to upload the .sgu...perhaps just late and tired...lol

Tell me one more time how to do that please. Also I set the tempo from 140 to 165 which did not change the issue.

Tomorrow!!
Quote:
I forgot how to upload the .sgu...perhaps just late and tired...lol

Tell me one more time how to do that please.

Hi Billy, upload like this:

Attached picture 2020-11-12_16-31-31.jpg
Thanks Billy.
I downloaded the song. Just a question: Is the intention to have 25 bars of Am from bar 8 onwards? Possibly not, and this is just for the sake of the demonstration.

Anyway, I loaded and listened. The delivery was what I expected. I think the piano and bass part is intended to push, to emphasize the Cuban style of performing. Others, more expert than me will know more, but I don't think that the piano timing is incorrect. I think it is intentional.
No, the intent was to use the eight bars just to develop a solo I wanted to play myself.

I need to go look at this in Melodyne to be sure what is going on. On my system the G chord starts on about the last sixteenth note of the D minor second measure. This did not happen on the .sgu you posted.

If this is intentional, it is certainly illogical to me because it produces discordance and is even worse if I play the chord as written on my guitar along with what BIAB is doing.

If in fact, this is the way things are meant to work, that is not a huge issue because I can fix it in Melodyne or in this case just play the piano part myself.
As you can see, things are definitely out of time.

Here is the .sgu you posted. As you can see, it is not out of time for the most part. There are a few places where the chord change is early but not much.

OK, weird, for sure.
Looking at what Melodyne indicated the first chord is, A minor 7 9...A,E,C,B,G.

That in itself is a logical substitution for the A minor chord I typed in but certainly a uncommanded action I did not want.
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I need to go look at this in Melodyne to be sure what is going on. On my system the G chord starts on about the last sixteenth note of the D minor second measure. This did not happen on the .sgu you posted...............

I have had this happen many times on the MIDI side of things. Regeneration may solve this issue. But I have noticed that sometimes it may correct those early starts but add early starts in other places. Sometimes it sounds good as is but on other times I have to correct them in my DAW.
Do you have Natural Arrangement on for this song?
What's most interesting is that you mentioned the SGU file I posted didn't have the issue, but I didn't freeze anything, so it would have been freshly generated on your system.

This is what is showing.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
What's most interesting is that you mentioned the SGU file I posted didn't have the issue, but I didn't freeze anything, so it would have been freshly generated on your system.

Well...that was actually only partly true. There was some out of time issues but much less.

Whatever settings I need to make to have BIAB do the least in uncommanded actions is what needs to be done.

Perhaps I have unreasonable expectations of what the program is designed to do.

If I tell it to play a C chord I expect it to play three notes...C,E,G or EGC, or GCE.
Cot to run. see you guys in a bit.
If I tell it to play a C chord I expect it to play three notes...C,E,G or EGC, or GCE.

Try adjusting all of these settings and regenerate:

Attached picture 2020-11-13_7-33-31.jpg
Attached picture 2020-11-13_7-35-36.jpg
Thank you. U da man!!

That solved 99% of the issues. Unchecking and never set was what I had to change. Forced to simple was already set.

There was only the E7 chord that I was not real happy with but it was not a fault. It would get buried under the guitar track most likely. Also easy to fix just one chord.

I had a feeling something was not set correctly.

What does "allow late notes in pattern, just before chord change" set at 100% do? What is meant by "late note"?

Thanks again,
What does "allow late notes in pattern, just before chord change" set at 100% do? What is meant by "late note"?

Thanks again,

I only know from what the Help states:
Quote:
"Allow late notes in pattern, just before chord change:
Styles will normally play notes near the end of a pattern, before a chord change. Sometimes this makes the style sound "too busy." If you set this to, say 70%, then 30% of the time, the note at the end of the pattern will play quieter, typically at half the volume."

I'm not sure if it's a MIDI only thing. I've never changed it.
I have never changed nor experimented with the 'late notes in pattern', either.

When I asked earlier whether you were using Natural Arrangement, I should have mentioned that you can turn that on or off for individual tracks. In your case, try the piano without it.
Hi Matt,

I had it set to force natural arrangements.

It took me a bit to find the button. The help showed a rectangle with the button...lol

I actually found it through edit, song form, settings (for this song) the first time. Sometimes the help menu is a bit hard to use and the language is very BIAB specific.

Sometime I have to laugh "force natural arrangements" as opposed to unnatural arrangements...lol

Well, I am learning...little by little. Thanks to you and "the man from Melbourne" and a few other kind souls.

I have been interacting with both students and teachers a lot lately and BIAB is becoming a indispensable tool. There is really nothing like it for speed of demonstration of solo ideas over chord changes in different styles. This is especially useful to demonstrate chord substitutions that a student may not know and how they would sound in context with a certain style of music.

I was actually a bit surprised at how well our first Zoom/audiomovers/BIAB/DAW/live playing meeting went. Playing in real time between Miami and New York City was actually possible.

Thanks again for all the help.

Billy
... Playing in real time between Miami and New York City was actually possible.
Seriously? How many people were on the Zoom meeting?
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
... Playing in real time between Miami and New York City was actually possible.
Seriously? How many people were on the Zoom meeting?

Just three of us. Me in Miami and two in Queens. Time was 10:00 until noon. The latency was not problematic.

I have a one gig connection on my end. I did not ask about the New York end.

We were using audiomovers for the audio.

Billy
© PG Music Forums