PG Music Home
Posted By: Paddy inputting bass notes - 11/27/20 08:33 AM
Hello. I'm trying to create a short bass run. How do I get the bass to play the notes I want? Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: inputting bass notes - 11/27/20 10:47 AM
You could enter them as MIDI on the Soloist track and select a bass patch. Mute the regular bass track at that point.

If the bass run takes place as a note on each chord, enter slash roots. Ex. C, C/D C/E etc.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: inputting bass notes - 11/29/20 03:38 PM
Using the Soloist works fine unless you want to also have an actual Soloist. In that case just right click the bass track and change it to midi. Open notation, select bass and enter the notes you want. When done freeze the track. Freezing is important, if you don't Freeze Biab will generate a new bass part wiping out what you just did. Now with 2021 you have another option, use any track you want, change to midi, notate the part but now you can copy it to a Utility track. They don't regenerate so it's "frozen" automatically. Now you're free to change the bass RT part to something else.

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: inputting bass notes - 11/29/20 04:13 PM
Yes, having MIDI bass for selected notes is an excellent use of a utility track. You can still have your melody and soloist tracks for whatever else you want after you create your bass line and move it to a utility track.

This wasn’t possible in BIAB until yesterday.
Posted By: Paddy Re: inputting bass notes - 11/29/20 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I discovered that Notation wasn't installed, so I sorted that. I selected Bass, and can see the notation and the tab of the bar I'm working on. Moving the cursor, I see the notes changing. Can't get Eb ! I'll play around with it, but welcome any hints. Thanks again.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: inputting bass notes - 11/29/20 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a setting, maybe in Preferences Arrange, to specify the lowest note for bass. I'm not at a computer now...

EDIT: Yep, that's where it is. And the Help says you can set it to a low C.
Posted By: Paddy Re: inputting bass notes - 12/01/20 05:04 PM
Guys, I'm getting there thanks to you, but it's still trying to beat me.
I'm in the Notation screen. I've entered the notes I want. In the 3 boxes, Regular Notation Mode, Editable Notation Mode, and Staff Roll Notation Mode, everything looks great, the notes are where I want them. BUT, when I go to play, nothing has changed. Do I need to lock those notes in after I change them? If there is a simple solution that I just can't see, I promise I will stand in the corner until break time.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: inputting bass notes - 12/01/20 05:18 PM
You entered the notes you want, but WHERE did you enter them? It should be on the Melody or Soloist track. Otherwise, when the program regenerates the song, they get wiped over. You would have needed to Freeze the track. See jazzmammal's post, above.

If you have BIAB 2021, there is another easy way: copy the melody or soloist track to a utility track.

Posted By: Paddy Re: inputting bass notes - 12/01/20 06:01 PM
D'Oh! I was entering my notes on the main Bass track. Now, as advised, I have used the Soloist track and I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks guys. I'm standing in the corner now.
© PG Music Forums