PG Music Home
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 12:58 PM
Hello all! PGMusic says for BB2021:

"Now, all RealDrums have RealCharts (with accurate Drum Notation and MIDI to trigger drum sounds)".

But how can I do that? How can I select my Realdrums track and generate a midi drums file?

Thanks in advance for any help, cause this is so important to me. Sometimes when I import a Realdrums track on my DAW, the drums are not so well quantized or I can't equalize the snare like I want (cause it's a stereo track with snare, kick, hihat, toms all together). So with the midi file I could quantize like I wish and edit and eq the snare and kick separatedly.

Can I do that or I didn't understand this new 2021 feature?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 01:33 PM
You read it right. All RealDrums now have notation. This is a MIDI track along with the audio. When you drag the tracks to a DAW, you should get a corresponding MIDI track that you can assign to a MIDI drum synth of your choice. For more specific instructions, if you tell us your DAW, someone here will know.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 01:41 PM
Hi abif,

What I do is this...

1. Load in the Realdrum that like the rhythm of.

2. Generate the song.

3. Let it play for a bit for the generation to complete.

4. Drag the Drum track to the MID quadrant of BIAB's drop box.

5. Drag the MID dropbox to your DAW.

6. If you right-click on the dropbox, you can open the \bb\Dragdrop folder and manually copy your MIDI track.

7. NOTE: You may need to adjust MIDI export options for dropbox. Right-click on the dropbox, select DAW Options, remove any check marks from "Drag MIDI as audio".

This should do the job for you.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture realdrums to midi.JPG
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 05:40 PM
Thanks Matt, I use Cubase and I got to drag the midi drums from the Dropbox.

Thanks Noel96, your instructions helped me a lot and now I got it!

But one more question: Why the drums track generated by BB as audio (WAV) is different from the midi track generated? What I'd need is the midi playing the same as the audio!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 07:00 PM
abif, I understand that many (most?) of the MIDI taken from the RealTracks is manually transcribed. That might explain the discrepancy.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 08:42 PM
A simple question:
1)Does the drum midi data contain velocity info for each event?
Posted By: jpettit Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
A simple question:
1)Does the drum midi data contain velocity info for each event?

Yes

To answer the OP.
1) Open the Plugin in your DAW.
2) Generate the RD for the progression
3) Drop the Chart in your DAW and assign for example EZdrummer

You now have multitrack drums ;-)

2020 Plugin could do that as well for about 60-70%. The difference in 2021 is now all RDs have charts.

Posted By: DrDan Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:21 PM
OK, I feel much better knowing that. Thanks much.

I was starting to question my own sanity. crazy I look forward to seeing a demo in the days ahead by someone showing how this can be applied with an external drum VST. grin
Posted By: DrDan Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: jpettit

To answer the OP.
1) Open the Plugin in your DAW.
2) Generate the RD for the progression
3) Drop the Chart in your DAW and assign for example EZdrummer

You now have multitrack drums ;-)

2020 Plugin could do that as well for about 60-70%. The difference in 2021 is now all RDs have charts.

Heck, that sounds simple. I think even I could do that.
Posted By: jpettit Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:26 PM
OK, I feel much better knowing that. Thanks much.

I was starting to question my own sanity. crazy I look forward to seeing a demo in the days ahead by someone showing how this can be applied with an external drum VST. grin

Do you mean in BIAB natively?
I think it would be possible with Utility tracks, by I would personally just do it in the DAW.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:38 PM
Ya, in my DAW is preferred. Here it is. ~ 3 mins to demo. Color me impressed. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:42 PM
So, dumb question coming up... I own several drum VST instruments through KONTAKT. I have never really figured out how to use them. Does this mean I can use MIDI from a BIAB RealDrum track with those VSTs? And the BIAB bass drum will match up with the KONTAKT bass drum? And the BIAB high hat will match up with the KONTAKT high hat? And so on for all drum set components? I must admit I will be surprised and impressed if that actually works!
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:54 PM
I just read that 2020 has 60-70% of drums that will do this. How do you know if a drum track can do this or not?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 10:56 PM
Drums will be underlined in the name.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/29/20 11:07 PM
And the picker window has a Notation column, if I recall.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/30/20 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
So, dumb question coming up... I own several drum VST instruments through KONTAKT. I have never really figured out how to use them. Does this mean I can use MIDI from a BIAB RealDrum track with those VSTs? And the BIAB bass drum will match up with the KONTAKT bass drum? And the BIAB high hat will match up with the KONTAKT high hat? And so on for all drum set components? I must admit I will be surprised and impressed if that actually works!

IF your VSTi MIDI drums have a GM setting then yes they will line up perfectly. But if they don't have a GM setting then you will have to remap them manually, that is one drum at a time. Along with this it also depends on if your MIDI note 60 is labeled C3, C4, or C5 matches BiaB's C labeling. But that is not a big problem as a simple plus or minus one octave will line them up.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/30/20 12:50 AM
Again as Jeff said open the plugin in your DAW, and generate a drum track the drag the chart on the right hand side into ta track and send that to the VSTi of your choice. Yes I know some don't like the plugin, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water it does a great job of stuff like this. I have done several side by side comparisons and sending to something like EZDrummer works a treat. fast and simple.

Another thought, now you can use these drum charts in RB natively. Hhhmm not a bad idea
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Midi drums from Realdrums? - 11/30/20 05:49 AM
Drums will be underlined in the name.

I used the RealDrums picker and see none that are underlined. I have everything from 2012-2020 so they should be there but I dunno how to find them. Of course, this is the story of my life with BIAB and why I rarely try anything off the straight and narrow with this software!
© PG Music Forums