PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernard What have I done? - 12/11/20 12:55 PM
I dont know what I will have changed in my settings (as usual!), but I get an Exception screen when opening BiaB
(1) followed by an app-error(2), and BiaB opens on a midi song with no title which seems to be the problem.

When I clik ok, the 2 screens disapear and I can load/play any song...

This would not be that big problem, but, at the same time,the black cursor usually following the chords of a song playing (and showing the beats) have disapeared...

I have re-installed BiaB and as it didnt change anything, I have made a return to factory sttings, with no effect either.

As this would not suffice, I still get when loading a new song the yellow flag (3) that has been mentioned by other users...

Which solution do you see?
Bernard

Attached picture BiaB1.jpg
Attached picture BiaB2.jpg
Attached picture BiaB3.jpg
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 04:28 PM
If you get an error like that (an access violation that is), then program likely wouldn't function properly afterwards and should be restarted.

(1) Try selecting a 'Default synth' / make sure that 'none' is not selected... You can do this via Options | driver setup | VSTi/DXi synth. e.g. select Coyote Wavetable.

(2) As an experiment, does the program boot up without the error message if you add a file called safemode.txt to the Preferences folder (just a test, you should delete the file after).

(3) If possible, please attach a text file with the error report to your reply, using the File Manager.
Posted By: Marcus2323 Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 05:29 PM
I had a similar error message. I would get it every time I started the program. It didn't matter if I launched normally or as administrator.

I went to "Options", "Return to Factory Settings".

Everything is fine now!
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 07:28 PM
I seem to have the same problem as the guys after me in this forum, I cannot set the default synth that I would like to...

First, the problem with the opening screens seem to be caused by the fact that, on opening, BiaB opens on a midi song without title or style (photo BiaB5). This seems to cause the reported alert screens.
Second, I am not able to select any Synth as a default synth (although I check that the plug-ins are not under the exclude folder... I would like to set Sforzando or Forte as the default synth and it does not work.
So, I am "stuck"...
Bernard

Attached picture BiaB4.jpg
Attached picture BiaB5.jpg
Attached picture BiaB65.jpg
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 07:35 PM
By the way, I have tried the "open as an administrator"
ploy, does not change anything...
I am working on the "add text in the preference folder"
trick.. Let you know soon...
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 07:43 PM
No, I have included the text within the preference folder and I get a red frame with "Safe mode" in the opening BiaB logo, but BiaB still opens on the known alert, as well as the midi file without title or style...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 08:46 PM
Hi Bernard,

I don't know if this is part of your problem but Sforzando cannot be used as the default synth because it is a "only one instrument at a time synth". The default synth needs to be multichannel and General MIDI so that BIAB can access the different MIDI tracks simultaneously.

As a test, try setting CoyoteWT as your default synth and see if that works. Once we have that working, then we can try to get Coyote Forte up and running.

The graphic below shows how I set up CoyoteWT.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture COYOTE WT SETUP 2021.JPG
Posted By: DrDan Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Bernard,

... then we can try to get Coyote Forte up and running.

Regards,
Noel

We concluded a year ago that Coyte Forte DXi would not run in BIAB64bit. I won't ask if something as changed... crazy but will ask if you know that it will now work?
Posted By: beatmaster Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 09:12 PM
Think its an older Biab !!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
We concluded a year ago that Coyte Forte DXi would not run in BIAB64bit. I won't ask if something as changed... but will ask if you know that it will now work?

Hi Dan,

Nothing has changed. I was just being general at the moment. I don't know the full details of what he's running or if he's tried both 32 & 64 bit versions.

Sorry.
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What have I done? - 12/11/20 11:33 PM
Bernard,

Also... if you can open BIAB, see if you can run "Options | Preferences" and change the following setting so that neither a song nor a style is loaded when BIAB starts.

Attached picture boot up do not load style or song.JPG
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 07:14 AM
OK, I have noted that Sforzando is not suitable for BiaB64 as well as Forte...
Ok, I have set the default synth to CoyoteVT and it works, I get the synth as default synth for all tracks,
but...
After closing and re-opening BiaB the setting is gone and I have "none" as default synth again.

Anyway, my first problem is, as before, to get rid of the red alert I get on opening BiaB in both (32/64) versions and which seems to be caused by the fact that the program opens loading a (midi)file named "no file.sg1". Maybe I would settle the problem in forcing BiaB to open on another song, like the last one used, for ex.

I cannot get rid of this nofile.sg1 because when I want to "nuke" it I learn that it "does not exist" (!!).
Bernard

Attached picture BiaB7.jpg
Attached picture BiaB8.jpg
Attached picture BiaB9.jpg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 07:36 AM
Bernard,

Have you updated to build #804

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 02:07 PM
Noel,
Thanks for still searching with me...

yes, I had already thought of "on boot-up no song no style and had it checked, and
yes I have installed patch 804.

The red alert screen comes up in both 32 and 64 bit version, but NOT in the 2020 version which I still have on an external drive.

Fortunately, after having closed the 2 warning screens which pop-up on booting, BiaB lets me continue and load another song, so that I may continue to have fun!
Bernard
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 06:57 PM
Hi again, Bernard,

The next things that I would try are to revert to factory settings. Before doing that, though, I'd save my current preferences (this is found under "Options".)

This is my plan of attack...

1. Select "Options | Return to factory settings" and select the "MOST" option.

If that didn't work...

2. Select "Options | Return to factory settings" and select the "ALL" option this time.

And if that didn't work...

3. Shut down BIAB, go to the "\bb\preferences" folder and rename "intrface.bbw" and "MySetup.DK" to "intrface.bbw.old" and "MySetup.DK.old". Now restart BIAB. Doing this forces BIAB to recreate those two setup files from scratch.

You will need to set Audio and MIDI drivers again after running both #2 and #3 above.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. There is currently a new build being tested and I imagine it won't be too long before it's released publicly.
Posted By: Blake - PG Music Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 07:33 PM
Regarding the NONAME.SG1 error you get on bootup, I believe there might be a problem with your default synth TGS file. Please try renaming this file before launching Band-in-a-Box:

C:\bb\DX Settings\DefaultDXiSynthx64.tgs

You could simply delete the file, but if this experiment stops the NONAME.SG1 error, then I would really appreciate it if you could send a copy of the TGS file to support@pgmusic.com.

Can you copy and paste the contents of this file into a post?
C:\bb\DX Settings\plugin_list_Exclude_x64.txt
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? - 12/12/20 07:52 PM
Sorry, does not work, I have still the same alert on opening (64bit)... I have skipped the 2 first ones, because I tried that when the problem started, and changed the preference file as hinted by you. 2 new files have been created. as you mentioned (one on opening (intrface) and the MySet-up on closing the program), but no result... I am now going to sleep on it (in Germany)
Bernard
Posted By: Bernard Re: What have I done? (solved) - 12/13/20 06:36 AM
Thanks to PG Music (Thanks again Blake) I have been able to clear the problem which was, as it seems, caused by the "defaultsynth" files within the DX Settings folders of BiaB...
Thanks too to all who helped in trying to solve the matter, it is good to feel that you are not left alone in "dark hours" in which you see no light coming!
Bernard
© PG Music Forums