PG Music Home
Posted By: bnyrj Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 07:46 AM
Is there any option to use Yamaha or Korg's style files in BIAB. BIAB style files are with .sty file extension which is same as Yamaha's style file. If there is no straight forward option to load the .sty (yamaha) files in BIAB, is there any workarounds to make it work in BIAB.

Got 1000s of style file in my computer. Wish to use it in BIAB.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 10:51 AM
Yamaha styles can be converted to MIDI files according to this:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style2_1.htm

You would then import the MIDI file into BiaB or RB. As with all conversions if may or may not sound identical to the original style.

Maybe this would help with the Korg styles:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/312/2455/

Note that these conversions will not make a BiaB style; it will produce a MIDI file that can be loaded into BiaB. You might be able to create a BiaB style out of them if you want to put the time into doing that.

Also note that I have no experience in this field. The above is just information I got of the Internet.

On a side note Norton Music does sell BiaB styles that have be converted from Korg styles:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html
Not directly. The data is in a different format.

I have made hundreds of styles influenced by some arranger keyboards. They aren't exact as BiaB knows what the next chord will be and arranger keyboards don't. So I wrote similar styles but with many more patterns, used BiaB's StyleMaker to make different patterns appear in musically appropriate situations, and came up with something that I think has distinct advantages over the keyboard styles that influenced by BiaB styles.

You can listen to demos at http://www.nortonmusic.com

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 11:28 AM
Thanks for reply and idea
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 12:02 PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to BIAB. So from your message I understand like an arranger keyboard BIAB cant play live. Thats why it needs a next process of generating backing tracks. You arrange the chords and the software create backing tracks. Ok i got it.

This will also work for me. What i need is to make quick backing tracks to further edit in DAW (FL Studio)

I think if i understand it correctly the advantage of BIAB style over Yamaha style is that it can have more than one pattern in one variation of the style (i need to dig this area more)

When you say the data is different... is it not midi basically?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bnyrj
When you say the data is different... is it not midi basically?

From what I have read the yes they are basically MIDI BUT they add other data to the styles to make the proprietary styles. Thus a Yamaha style will not play on a Korg synth and visa-versa. Also they will not play in BiaB.

I think once you start playing with BiaB and learn that you can change styles in a song, add/change instruments, change tempos, etc, you will forget about converting other styles to BiaB. If you get the Ultra-pac you will have a ton of styles in MIDI, Realtracks, and a combination of both.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 05:03 PM
They are just midi files if you add .mid on the end they will open in your DAW as midi with song section markers.
As I said the easiest way is open your biab SGU MGU in JJazlab and pick any of the 1000's of key board styes, save the song to midi then load it into Biab.
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 06:29 PM
Then can we use it as style in BIAB?
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 06:29 PM
Thanks

Got it.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 06:49 PM
I did request them to enable JJazzLab to sync play with other apps and DAWs so they should be working on that.
This will let you sync it with Biab as the master.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/07/21 06:52 PM
You can create a Biab sty from the style midi file but maybe easier to use JJazzLab.
As someone else indicated above BIAB sets up patterns that are able to change by anticipating what chord is coming next. When you get into the stylemaker you will see that the style uses masks that tell it to play certain patterns on certain chord progressions. The arranger styles don't do that. Also please note that BIAB does NOT allow the styles to be played live. You must enter your chords into a song format, save the song, and then play the saved song from your saved style. The arranger will allow you to play the chords in real time and get immediate results. PROBLEM IS with most totl or ottl arrangers you will find it necessary to do a certain amount of preediting with registrations etc. b4 you can effectivly use them. Might as well go ahead and do it all in BIAB.
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/08/21 01:21 AM
Yes each method has its own advantages and disadvantages.

These are the tools available. you should choose the right tool depending on your situation.

Anybody have seen any good video tutorial on StyleMaker ?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/08/21 01:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TkfXtYYsgU
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/08/21 03:36 PM
Thanks.

So how about the following.

1) Use 1manband to create a midi file with a yamaha style.

2)Record the bars as follows

1,2 - Main variation A
3 - Fill A
4, 5 Main Variation
6 - Fill B

3) Load the midi file in BIAB Style Wizard and make a style for BIAB.

By the way which chord I should play for this? Cmaj7 ?

Is BIAB limited with A and B variation only and not like A,B,C,& D
variations like an arranger keyboard,?
no, biab can have more than a & b styles. In fact you cand create up to 24 substyles. PG calls the multistyles.
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/08/21 10:30 PM
Ok thanks for the info.
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/08/21 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: bnyrj
Thanks.

So how about the following.

1) Use 1manband to create a midi file with a yamaha style.

2)Record the bars as follows

1,2 - Main variation A
3 - Fill A
4, 5 Main Variation
6 - Fill B

3) Load the midi file in BIAB Style Wizard and make a style for BIAB.

Anybody can comment on this?
Quote:

To answer this, the notes would be C, E, G, B natural
You can enter that in BiaB by either typing the letters: CJ or by typing the letters: CMaj7
Posted By: bnyrj Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/09/21 12:15 AM
I was asking which chord is appropriate to record the MIDI file for Style Wizard. Please refer to my previous message.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/09/21 02:41 AM
Have a look in Help "StyleMaker - Convert Track To C7 Chord"
Posted By: jford Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/09/21 02:27 PM
I thought BIAB MIDI styles were based on a C7 chord (C E G Bb), not Cmaj7. Pretty sure it's in the documentation (I'm not at my computer, so I can't check).
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Using Arranger Keyboard Styles in BIAB - 01/09/21 02:46 PM
jford,
You're right the patterns in the stylemaker make must be done with the C7 chord.
The manual is very clear on this point.

BIAB beginners will not waste their time to read and read again the manual...
Yes, everything in the StyleMaker must be entered as if it is a C7 chord. Dominant 7th, not major 7th.

There are also some piano, guitar and bass macros that can add some variety to each pattern. They are somewhat quirky, and it takes some experimentation to get them to work they way I like them to, but it's worth the time and effort.

Many of the arranger keyboards have more than 5 instruments, they have bass and comp parts that should always happen at the same time, and they usually only a couple of drum rolls.

At first, I tried exporting MIDI from the keyboard and importing the patterns into BiaB. They styles turned out to be too bland for my tastes.

BiaB doesn't 'think' about the styles like an arranger keyboard does, so I found it best to start by letting the style inspire me.

I play the drum part first in real-time into a MIDI sequencer and add a lot of drum rolls (drums were my first instrument).

Then the bass, also in real time, pre-planning what kind of variations I need to play and adding some specific patterns that will only appear at certain musical instances. They keyboards generally have very repetitive bass playing. For certain genres that's OK, but most bass players add some variety. I play bass too.

An advantage of playing drums first is that it sets up the groove. Any instruments added by me fall into the same groove.

Then I add whatever comp parts I need, (piano, organ, guitar, brass or whatever) also live into the MIDI sequencer. I use various MIDI controllers (keys, wind, etc.) depending on the part I'm playing.

When I'm done playing parts into the sequencer, I start importing the appropriate patterns into the BiaB StyleMaker app.

After that I test them on a number of different song type situations, and go back and revise if needed until the style comes out the way I want it in both non-busy and busy arrangements and different musical situations typical of the genre of the style I'm creating.

There are limitations to BiaB, so they often don't come out exactly as I hope they would, but as close as the limitations of BiaB will allow.

All the parts added to the sequencer are inspired by the keyboard style, instead of 6 measures repeated over and over again (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 7, 8) I can put up to 400 patterns into the StyleMaker to take advantage of BiaB and its particular strong points.

When done, it sounds very similar to the keyboard style, but isn't a carbon copy. The end result will have more variety where it needs to have variety, and hopefully that will more than make up for the things that the keyboard does that BiaB cannot do.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums