PG Music Home
Posted By: Fivehands Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 05:20 AM
Hi, just getting into '21 after my last Audiophile edition was '14. I even found a nice easy fusion keys RT that fit with what I was doing in Cubase. Cool. So tonight just playing around with BIAB and seeing what it can give me MIDI wise and I tried loading up a MIDI only style so I can try some of my VSTs, just to see what the possibilities are. So the first was for bass, and I tried loading up EZ Bass by Toontrack, heavy crash, wouldn't even load while it was attempting to, so I had to force a shutdown with Task Manager because BIAB froze also. So on the next attempt I tried EZ Keys, that was even worse, plug crashed, BIAB crashed and I couldn't even close with Task Manager. I had to restart my computer. So there was no way I was going to try Superior Drummer. lol. All is not lost though. Melda MSoundfactory loaded up for bass, keys and anything else I wanted. NI Battery also loaded fine although the MIDI mapping was a bit off. I couldn't get any sound out of the HI Q plugin though, the Sforzando. Maybe I did something wrong. I probably won't use MIDI much but I want to explore the Supertracks so I'll keep at it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 07:55 AM
BiaB 2021. OK.

What Build Number? (there have been several since its first release)
Posted By: Fivehands Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 09:07 AM
I have 813 build.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 12:11 PM
BIAB Build 814 is available.

I am a big TT fan and have used all of their products along with BIAB for years. A great combination. Having said that, I would never have tried to load a TT VST into BIAB. Despite all claims of advancements in BIAB VST hosting I still don't believe it would work. Someone may come along who could make it work? However, I am betting after they make it work, they will never use it that way.

Just hoping to provide some perspective, your mileage may vary. grin
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 12:39 PM
You mentioned your prior version of Band-in-a-Box was 2014. That version was exclusively a 32 bit program while the 2021 program is available as both 32 and 64 bit. Is it possible that you're trying to use 32 bit plugins in the 64 bit program?

If you use Microsoft Explorer to navigate to the Band-in-a-Box directory folder you'll find two Band-in-a-Box programs. The 32 bit program is BBW.exe while the 64 bit program is BBW64.exe. You can create desktop shortcut icons for the program you're not using by hovering your mouse over a file, right click to open the right click menu and selecting "Send to Desktop - create a shortcut".

You may find the plugins work in the program you're not using.

Please give us an update with your findings.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 02:03 PM
For Info I use EZKeys, EZbass, EZDrum, and also the Superior Drummer, in BIAB 21 and I must admit that it has never worked so well. Almost instantaneous and no crashes, even during backup. PG has made great progress on Plugins, that's a fact.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Marco76
For Info I use EZKeys, EZbass, EZDrum, and also the Superior Drummer, in BIAB 21 and I must admit that it has never worked so well. Almost instantaneous and no crashes, even during backup. PG has made great progress on Plugins, that's a fact.

Well that is good to hear.
Posted By: Fivehands Re: Toontrack woes - 01/09/21 08:04 PM
Thanks, but no, I know what I'm doing, all my plugs are 64 bit. Toontrack just won't go with opening. I don't think I have 32 bit versions of the Toontrack plugs. And I am aware there is a 32 bit BIAB also. I'll keep messing with it. It's not a deal breaker if they don't work, I am glad that the Melda plug works, just wanted something to sound out the MIDI tracks better. Ideally I'd just bring the MIDI tracks over to Cubase and use the Toontrack plugs there. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 12:18 AM
You can just drag and drop the Toontrack plugin into KV Element in Biab
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=581640#Post581640
you can save it as a group then just load group when you need them.

Full Screen

Attached File
BB21-Element-EZD2.png  (98 downloads)
Posted By: royj Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 07:50 AM
With all due respect to Pipeline, I cannot fathom out why we continually need to acquire free and paid add-ons to make BiaB & RB work with many of the VST's and VSTi's? This has been ongoing for the past 15-20 years and PG still cannot get it right? In 2021 I still have to download Cakewalk/Bandlab and install an app that I do not use to be able to access the TTS-1 midi synth (or pay $40 for a stone age Forte Dxi).

"Upgrading" annually has now become a serious consideration for me and at the high price point when fundamental aspects that could be improved receive no attention.
Rgds, Roy
Posted By: Fivehands Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 07:56 AM
Thanks, I may try that. But for now I just wanted a nice electric piano sound just to audition MIDI tracks, and actually the Melda one was nicer than the electrics in EZ Keys. I have the full RC too, so I'll look into getting Elements for that.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 08:01 AM
As someone mentioned it's sounds like a group
BB and The Workarounds
I have done my best for over 10 years to get them out of the past.
Some users don't like change so if new users come with improvement suggestions they have not been too welcomed and were usually jumped on, then you don't hear from the new users again.
So you don't get that drive to make things better and keep up with the modern world.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 10:23 AM
Here is a user saying it works.
“ For Info I use EZKeys, EZbass, EZDrum, and also the Superior Drummer, in BIAB 21 and I must admit that it has never worked so well. Almost instantaneous and no crashes, even during backup. PG has made great progress on Plugins, that's a fact.”

If he gets it to work then maybe we should get Marco to detail how he uses it for the benefit of all, rather than continuing to say it doesn’t.

He is another suggestion for five hands. If your ultimately working in Cubase maybe exploring the use of the plugin where you route the tracks out of the plugin using the multioutput feature to individual tracks in Cubase and load the TT plugins in those tracks. Also once you have a nice midi track bed in BiaB save and open in the plugin and do the routing or drag the tracks into cubase and continue.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
He is another suggestion for five hands. If your ultimately working in Cubase maybe exploring the use of the plugin where you route the tracks out of the plugin using the multioutput feature to individual tracks in Cubase and load the TT plugins in those tracks. Also once you have a nice midi track bed in BiaB save and open in the plugin and do the routing or drag the tracks into cubase and continue.

That is exactly my workflow. Because of the archaic structure of BiaB I do as little as possible in it and do virtually all of my work in my DAW, Studio One Pro 5. Note that virtually all of my songs start in BiaB but are quickly moved to my DAW.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Toontrack woes - 01/10/21 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms

That is exactly my workflow. Because of the archaic structure of BiaB I do as little as possible in it and do virtually all of my work in my DAW, Studio One Pro 5. Note that virtually all of my songs start in BiaB but are quickly moved to my DAW.

And the VST3 BiaB plugin is making that even easier in SO5 Pro!

Note: FWIW, the Studio One 5 Artist version ($100) now supports third-party VSTs, formerly a $100 add-on.
Posted By: Fivehands Re: Toontrack woes - 01/11/21 12:27 AM
Yes, definitely there are ways to get it done. All I did was try to open the TT stuff just to audition MIDI tracks and it crashed the entire BIAB program. But I have other VST instruments that I was able to open and work with. I haven't even delved into the plug in VST for BIAB. Since EZ keys is a generative MIDI plug the best way to actually use it for me is in Cubase anyway.
© PG Music Forums