PG Music Home
Posted By: colinb1 Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 11:09 AM
Hi - I'm wanting to export a song to MIDI. As per the instructions that I've found, I click the .MID icon and select 'Type 1 (Multitrack) Normal and then save to File. A file is created but it is a very small file. Under 1Mb typically. There is only one file. Not Multiple.

When I import it into my DAW (Studio One 4), it creates an empty track with no information.
So... I tried to create a MIDI track with separate drum tracks. Same result. Nothing.

I'm clearly doing something wrong but have no idea what. This is very early days of me starting to use MIDI so please, if you have a solution, keep it simple for me! Thank you

Colin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 12:10 PM
There are a number of ways to get a mid file into Studio One:

1:Click on file/save special/ save song as MIDI file

2:Drag MIDI track(s) to the small mid window, click on the small DAW window, open Studio One, drag and drop the track(s) to Studio One by clicking on the small + window and dragging it to the DAW.

3-Click on file/save song. Close BiaB and open Studio One. Load the BiaB VST into Studio One. In the BiaB vst open your song, generate, then drag and drop the tracks to your DAW. Note that you can drag and drop either the MIDI files, Wav files, or both.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 12:12 PM
A couple of random possibilities...

Are you trying to export a song made with Real Tracks or a MIDI style?

MIDI files are amazingly small, most songs I do are well under 1 Meg often under 100 K in size.

Have you tried importing it into another DAW?

If you don't have another DAW can you play it in Microsoft's Media Player? If it is a MIDI file, it should play in Media player using the lame but usable sounds in Microsoft's software synth.

If you can or cannot import it into another DAW or play it in Media Player it will let you know if the problem is associated with BiaB or your DAW.

Type 1 MIDI is the preferred way to save it if you are going to import into a DAW. I've done thousands this way with no problem. They have all been MIDI styles though. I've never tried to export a Real Track as MIDI because I don't think it would transfer properly. (Please correct me if that's wrong.)

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: colinb1 Re: Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 02:45 PM
Hi Bob and Mario.

The track was made from RealTracks. Is that the problem? The file it produces will not play in Windows Media Player. I wondered if maybe there was a MIDI setting I'd mucked up, even though I've just followed all defaults when installing BIAB and Studio One.

As I said, this is all new to me!

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: colinb1
Hi Bob and Mario.

The track was made from RealTracks. Is that the problem? The file it produces will not play in Windows Media Player. I wondered if maybe there was a MIDI setting I'd mucked up, even though I've just followed all defaults when installing BIAB and Studio One.

As I said, this is all new to me!

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

RealTracks are audio files, not MIDI files, so that is a problem.

IF the RealTracks names are underlined then yes there is a MIDI file attached. That MIDI file is transcribed from the audio track and all of the nuances of the audio track is gone, only the notes are in the MIDI file.

I use the BiaB VST when I move a RealTracks attached MIDI file to Studio One.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Exporting MIDI files - 01/19/21 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: colinb1
...The track was made from RealTracks. ...

Attached picture BB21-Save-RealCharts.png
© PG Music Forums