PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Kontakt Hammersmith Grand in BIAB [Resolved] - 02/17/21 01:37 PM
Here is some of the back story.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=632513&#Post632513

So this morning I was so excited to finally get my Hammersmith running in BAIB.

I can now run this in BIAB 2021 v822! But unfortunately, not without an issue! cry It seems that when this VST is used with the MST's, the player sounds like his foot is down hard on the Sustain Pedal the entire performance. That is how it sounds to me. Ya, that is a problem. crazy

I have never heard this with the piano MST's in the past. But never ran Kontakt in BIAB till now. And, in fact, when I play these same MST's over in Reaper to the same Kontakt VST it sounds much better. So the issue appears to be associated with BIAB. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Kontakt Hammersmith Grand in BIAB - 02/17/21 03:08 PM
Try playing with some of the settings in the Arrangement Options window. Ctrl+E > Arrange button.

I would start with the Normalize MIDI Velocity setting.

Description: Arrangement Window Settings
Attached picture Clipboard01.png
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Kontakt Hammersmith Grand in BIAB - 02/17/21 03:22 PM
Likely the VST is interpreting pedal ons/ offs differently than biab is transmitting them.
Pedal messages are controller 64 and a data value of higher than 64 means pedal on and lower than that is pedal off. But some VST consider lower than 64 to be “partially” on to simulate someone partially pressing the sustain pedal. Perhaps there is a setting in the VST to not do this.

Please provide the name of an example demo song in biab that illustrates the problem.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Kontakt Hammersmith Grand in BIAB - 02/17/21 03:56 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Gives me some hope there is a solution. I have to quickly jump on a zoom meeting to support the day job. But will get back to this in a few hours.

Dan
Posted By: DrDan Re: Kontakt Hammersmith Grand in BIAB - 02/17/21 07:08 PM
OK, I am back. Loaded up BIAB and it remembered exactly where I left off and reopened the song with Kontakt on the Melody track (I just set this default behavior today and am loving it already).

But no matter what I did the entire song was silent. I could see it was playing, but no sound to my speakers. OK, close, reboot (sometimes this is needed), loaded again and this time it was playing. But it sounded much better. I could not reproduce the booming piano sustain sound this time. Actually sounded like it should. I did then do a Normalize Velocity at 70, maybe a bit different. but could not really tell.

So all is good for now. But I will come back to this if I hear it again. Just the fact that I can have BIAB playing my Kontakt Hammersmith is good enough for today. We will see what time tells.

Dan
© PG Music Forums