PG Music Home
We are often encouraged to do a RTFS when BIAB has problems. Should we then run BIAB in this basic mode to see if the problem has gone away and then re-load our preferences one at a time including midi/audio driver setup, to continue the investigation? Personally I cannot remember all my preferences many of which I established years ago or where to find then in the miriad of BIAB menus so I simply re-load my preferences file, but perhaps this defeats the purpose of RTFS?

Tony
At such time as BIAB is working without crashes or errors, save your preferences.

Options | Save Preferences As...

When BIAB has issues and a RTFS is called for, after completing the RTFS, reload the known good Preferences from the Open Preferences file.

Options | Open Preferences File...
Tony, good question.

I used to keep a written record of each custom setting I made in BIAB. I don't do that any more, for two reasons: one, I almost never have to do the RTFS, and two, I change very few settings now.

I wouldn't describe it as "basic mode". The default values are just as effective in most uses.

Charlie told you, you can Save your preferences when things are going well and that's a good idea for anyone. Then when you do the RTFS, you can load them back afterward. As for the MIDI/audio drivers, when you do RTFS you can choose the MOST option, which leaves your MIDI and audio drivers intact. Most people can set these once and leave them anyway.
I do the same as Charlie has described.
For years I generally had NO custom settings except for one or two. So no big deal if everything went to default. So I never took the time to save options. Only recently in the past months have I begun to customize the preferences.
You may simulate a factory reset simply via placing some file named 'safemode.txt' in the bb\preferences folder. The content of this file is irrelevant. You may return to normal operations by simply renaming this file to something other than 'safemode.txt' . . .
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
so I simply re-load my preferences file

Tony

This wasn't a question about how to save and re-load preferences because, as you can seen from my original post, I know how to do this.

The suggestion to RTFS isn't as simple as it sounds - what do you do next? It could be that the problem is actually related to one of the preferences so simply re-loading all of them won't help. Or perhaps RTFS is like re-booting the program in which case one's preferences may be irrelevent.
I just think that a suggestion to RTFS needs further instruction, particularly for beginners.

Tony
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
I just think that a suggestion to RTFS needs further instruction, particularly for beginners.

Tony

Point well taken. Here is the back story for what it's worth.

The reason "RTFS" is often provided is that it is the recommended course of action so often. Literally, when BIAB goes something unexpected, RTFS is more times than not the correct action followed only by re-boot.

Some of the guys here have saved "canned" responses for RTFS. These will often contain a detailed description of the impact and consequences of a RTFS. They will often include options for files to rename or delete. Exactly as you suggest.

On the other-hand, those of us who are not so well setup, still see it of some value to just quickly point the beginner in the right direction.

And about losing preference settings? It is very unlikely that a setting in your preferences is the cause of the error. After all, what other software do you use which has a reset button to get it working? crazy

The history behind Return To Factory Settings, or RTFS, may prove useful.

Whenever the program adds an additional feature the fact that the program does not use the Windows registry can adversely affect program stability. Each new feature can have unintended consequences on program operation. Historically there will be periods of relative stability and other times when the program is not as stable.

I should remind you, PG Music has good reasons for not using the Windows Registry. Because the program is not registered, the program can run on Windows XP up to Windows 10. The program can be used on multiple computers.

Since BiaB does not use the Windows registry the program must internally keep track of many of the details that Windows normally keeps track of. So BiaB is always busy in the background keeping track of details. It also means the background details can become corrupted.

Much of the background details are maintained in three files located in the bb/Preferences folder. When you initiate a RTFS command those three files are erased and then rebuilt by the program. I wish I could tell you the names of the three files but I don't remember all three. The one I do remember is "intrface.bbw" (note the weird spelling).

Band-in-a-Box did not always have a RTFS command. In fact the command is a relatively recent addition to BiaB. Before the command a user would manually delete the files as needed. Once the files are deleted the next time the program is opened, the program recognizes the files are missing and creates new files using the factory defaults. RTFS was added as an aid to prevent users from accidentally deleting the wrong files.

When the program starts acting strange, there is a pretty good chance one of the three files have become corrupted. When that is the case, the easiest way to get the program to act normal again is to perform a RTFS. That's why you see it suggested so much.

That brings up another issue, how can you be sure RTFS will solve your issue? What if RTFS doesn't work? Then you have the issue AND have to restore your preferences; which may introduce another issue by accident. PG Music recently introduced a new troubleshooting tool users can utilize, the "safemode.txt" file.

Use Windows Notepad or another text editor to create an EMPTY file labeled "safemode.txt" (without the quotes). Place the empty safemode.txt file in the bb/Preferences folder. The next time BiaB opens the splash screen will have "SAFEMODE" in red and the program opens with factory defaults. BiaB will ignore the three files normally used while opening until safemode.txt is removed from the Preferences folder.

So if you use safemode.txt and the issue remains, then RTFS will not help you. But, if you use safemode.txt and the issue disappears then RTFS will solve your issue.
© PG Music Forums