PG Music Home
Posted By: dpresley Recording issues. - 02/21/21 09:11 PM
Occasional success with audio driver for Tascam 16x08 with Bbox for recording audio track. Still experience intermittent problems with crashes after recording and playing out of sync with multiple recordings. Improved performance was achieved by uninstalling driver completely and going back to older driver version 3. I am told my windows settings are correct. Can anyone explain why after recording the track displays 32 bit? See screenshot.

Attached picture Bbox settings. (2).JPG
Posted By: bloos66 Re: Recording issues. - 02/22/21 02:59 AM
I tried this out, finally got a chance to play around with recording guitar or voice to a track, in the past it never really worked for me, so just used BIAB or Reaper (BIAB 2021, #822).

In short - close to a disaster. The recording worked ok (Focusrite 4i4, Shure SM58, guitar, USB ASIO drivers, 44 or 48khz) but playing back right after the recording caused one of these 3 issues (and I tried this both on my laptop as well as on my PC):

- BSOD (I hadn't seen that screen for at least 5 years), I nearly spilled my coffee
- an Access violation at address 00007FFD2CA5C830 in module 'libfastdsp.dll'. Read of address 0000000000000000 error
- a BIAB error saying that the Windows Audio driver had changed (about 2 seconds into the playback)

Interestingly, when I saved the BIAB track right after the recording, and rebooted my PC and started BIAB up again, it played back beautifully through the same audio device.

I also recorded the same guitar/voice through Audacity and Reaper, plain recording, and it played back ok.

This took me almost 2 hours, luckily slow day at the home office.
I emailed BIAB support the Access violation error details.
Could be me, my setup, audio device, who knows - but both recording and immediate playback worked without problems in Reaper and Audacity using the exact same Windows audio settings.

It'd be great if we could get somebody else to give this a try - I dare say that it will probably work for them :-)
Posted By: bloos66 Re: Recording issues. - 02/22/21 07:58 AM
Ok, I did a factory reset on BIAB and on the Focusrite, and believe it or not, it all worked. I hate to get beaten by Windows and the sound issues.....

Resetting/reinstalling the audio interface driver and settings definitely made a difference although I am not sure why. A RTFS of BIAB helped as well.

Again, I only recorded a couple of bars of guitar and the playback seemed to line up ok with the backing track. I wouldn't use it for any serious recording, for this I export the backing track and use it in Reaper, or use Realband occasionally.

Now that it works I am happy to try our a few things for anybody experiencing issues.
Posted By: dpresley Re: Recording issues. - 02/23/21 02:59 AM
With the new additional audio utility tracks it needs to work properly. No problems using Cakewalk.

If factory reset means return to original settings I have done this many times. Audio recordings works for a while but not reliably for long with additional recordings.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recording issues. - 02/23/21 07:36 AM
have you tried opening the BIAB file in RealBand and recording there? you still get the opportunity to regenerate BIAB tracks, generate new tracks and record as many live tracks as you like. its more transparent and easier to see what you want to do IMHO than BIAB
Posted By: dpresley Re: Recording issues. - 02/25/21 12:56 AM
Since I use Cakewalk I prefer adding another layer. The plug in may be next best option.

Thanks!
Posted By: dpresley Re: Recording issues. - 02/25/21 12:57 AM
Since I use Cakewalk I prefer adding another layer. The plug in may be next best option.

Thanks!
© PG Music Forums