PG Music Home
Guess I need some help here folks. Trying to render several BIAB songs that have several MIDI tracks played by my external modules.

The MIDI is not on the melody or Thru tracks, but on the Strings and Bass tracks. The songs play fine when running BIAB, but I'm missing the MIDI tracks when I render to MP3.

Regardless of how I set BIAB up, only the RealTracks are rendered to MP3...all of the MIDI tracks are missing. I've tried to change my input and output drivers in the MIDI driver setup window but it makes no difference.

I know that I can setup the output to go to a VSTi but I want my external MOTIF module to render the MIDI parts.

Is there a way to do this in BIAB or can this only be done in a DAW?

Jeff
Hi Jeff, normal rendering can not be done with external MIDI sound sources. You need to record the audio of your external modules then blend them with your BiaB MIDI. I strongly suggest you do this in a DAW. If you have the PC version of BiaB you also have the DAW RealBand.

What I do is to move all of the MIDI files into my DAW then do all my work there.

To be honest I never have done this in BiaB and I don't even know if it can be done in BiaB. Others will have to help you with that.
Studio One's Pipeline XT plugin accomplishes what you want. Plus, it compensates for the latency added by routing MIDI out to your device and then routing the audio back in.

I don't know if RealBand provides a method for latency compensation for hardware devices.
If you're not using the Audio track in your BIAB song, you can use that to record the audio from your Motif, then it'll be there when you render the song. You'd have to patch the audio output of the Motif into your interface (channels 1-2) to record it.

You can also use another DAW to do the recording - seeing as you have a MOTU Interface, you should have access to a free copy of Performer Lite.
Simon, you are absolutely right, this is possible in BIAB!

As you said, I didn't have to change my MIDI input and output drivers in BIAB. But I did have to the BIAB Audio driver pull-down the ASIO drivers pull-down and change the input port in BIAB from my MIC 1&2 to Analog 1&2 (which is where my Motif rack comes in).

Also, had to increase my ASIO buffers from 96 (I only run hard synths) to 256 to make up for some latency that the audio recording introduced.

But it does work! SO, if I can also record audio from my hard synths onto the BIAB audio track AND other MIDI audio onto the new Utility tracks, I could actually convert all my MIDI to audio in BIAB and render to MP# without going to RB or Cakewalk.

Pretty cool! That's a new one on me Simon and I do appreciate your help and insight here.

I do have one question, when I hit the "Record Audio" button in BIAB, I see in the middle of that screen "Audio input is 32bit". Very odd...I'm running my audio interface at 24 bit. Where is BIAB picking up 32 bit?

Jeff

Jeff
© PG Music Forums