PG Music Home
Posted By: doogiet Soloist playing over melody? - 04/04/21 03:01 AM
Hey, everyone. I just bought the 2021 Ultra Pak and I'm working on All the Things You Are. I've got a GM2 piano playing the melody and then a Real Track saxophonist playing a solo. But the saxophone solos over top of the piano, which repeats when I don't want it to. I've got "mute in the middle" selected in the soloist option menu, but it still happens. Is this maybe because there's a repeat at the end and I should be telling BB not to repeat but instead use the chorus buttons? Or is the chorus button creating the repeats at the end? It says 3x in the last bar.

Any help?
Hi doogiet! Please make sure that you have the latest build update downloaded and installed from this page. At the moment the latest build is 827: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

The default for a new song project is 3 choruses. This is shown with a 3X by the repeat sign. Are you adding other repeats?

In the soloist dialog, there are two options for muting within certain choruses. Do you have "If no melody" or "No solo" in the drop down menu for the middle chorus? Make it "No solo" for your soloist to be for sure muted, whether or not you have a melody track loaded.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Soloist playing over melody? - 04/08/21 04:02 PM
Hi doogiet, in Band-in-a-Box, go to the Help menu, and click About Band-in-a-Box. Near the top of that window, it will have Version 20xx and a number in brackets - what is that number?

If it's lower than 827, try installing the update here: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#827

If that doesn't help, please go to Options > Return To Factory Settings. If it asks you to choose between MOST or ALL, choose MOST.
Posted By: Dave Re: Soloist playing over melody? - 04/08/21 04:35 PM
Does the solo in middle chorus only apply to the Soloist track?
Posted By: doogiet Re: Soloist playing over melody? - 04/09/21 04:47 PM
*bookmarks this forum*

Okay, here's what's going on. I have the latest build (827). I downloaded a bunch of band in the box songs from an online forum so I don't have to enter everything manually. Maybe that's the problem.

I've got a real style playing and the melody is coming from a midi piano. I've set up the soloist to play a real track guitar solo.

The melody plays once, then the guitar realtrack comes in and the guitar track plays overtop of the midi piano. The midi track is GM2 Bright Acoustic (wide) from installing Cakewalk.

It's set up for three choruses (chori?)

It says Solo Which Choruses:
First if no melody
Middle yes solo
Last If no melody.

"Mute melody in the middle" is checked. So now it's playing a great guitar solo overtop of the melody.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist playing over melody? - 04/09/21 05:05 PM
Quote:
I've got a real style playing and the melody is coming from a midi piano. I've set up the soloist to play a real track guitar solo.

If you are using that term correctly you are referring to Custom Styles provided in "Xtra Paks". These custom styles can have some tricky stuff going on deep in the customization which will force things to occur at certain places. As a result your addition of other features may be compromised.

Otherwise, here is a suggestion, don't use the Soloist feature. Instead just insert you RT soloist on the soloist track or any other track and use the Bar settings (F5) to tell it what to play and when to play it. If none of works then dump the Real Style and pick something else or learn how to deep edit it to remove the constraints.

If all else fails upload the song so we can see exactly what is afoul.

Dan
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Soloist playing over melody? - 04/10/21 10:17 AM
Doogiet, what you are seeing seems right to me. The problem is that you have not told BIAB to mute the piano in the middle chorus. Use the F5 key and tell BIAB to mute the piano on the middle chorus and then again to tell BIAB to play the piano on the final chorus and mute the solo.

I've used F5 to do this for years and never had a problem. I have had problems using the "solo which choruses" method you were referencing.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums