PG Music Home
Hi, I have just noticed some real guitar tracks (maybe real styles) are transcribed and some are not. I am wondering when this started and if there is a way to know that a real guitar track is transcribed other than going to the notation window and choosing the real guitar track.

Thanks,
John
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Hi, I have just noticed some real guitar tracks (maybe real styles) are transcribed and some are not. I am wondering when this started and if there is a way to know that a real guitar track is transcribed other than going to the notation window and choosing the real guitar track.

If a track has a transcribed RealChart, the track name will be green and underlined with a short line.

For RealGuitar charts: If a track has RealChart, and is a guitar track with accurate tab and on-screen guitar fretboard display, then it is green and underlined with a long line.

Attached picture 2021-04-07_9-57-42.jpg
Thanks VideoTrack. That's good to know. Its another example of BIAB blowing me away :-) I am helping out two people in my jam group that bought the basic BIAB to get started on it. I think they are getting blown away too :-)

It would be cool if the styles list had a checkbox column or code column of some sort as well and even a filter as well.

John
There's a lot of cryptology involved in BiaB identifiers. I did ask once for a legend to be added that described all of this, but it never happened.

Here is the Wish List request. Maybe you can support it.
Thanks VideoTrack. I just gave my +1.
bowlesj - It's possible to see what tracks have notation in the Realtrack Picker. Please see my screenshot below - the Chart column will have something in it if there's notation of any sort.

As for "when this started", I believe there was originally no notation when Realtracks were introduced. Notation for many instruments has to be entered manually, which is a lot of work, so it's mostly older Realtracks that don't have notation.

Attached picture Realtrack Chart Notation.png
Thanks Simon,

I checked my 2018 version and it has the column you point out. I checked the pdf manual and it mentions the column but does not document the codes. I assume "Gt" means guitar tab and "N" means notation. I checked and that seems to be correct.

I also left myself a reminder in my reminder database to start using this pdf more. The reminder database is a great tool for (among other things) helping at least to establish new habits :-)

John
From the Manual:
RealCharts (notation for some RealTracks): Most RealTracks now display notation, i.e., RealCharts, showing the notes that are being played. Some Guitar RealTracks also show tablature and an accurate on-screen fretboard guitar display to show what is being played on guitar.
To see which instruments have RealCharts, visit the Assign RealTracks to Tracks dialog and sort column 11,
“Chart.” Instruments with an “N” or “Gt” in this column have RealCharts.
- Instruments with “Gt” in the Chart column have RealCharts with accurate guitar tab and on-screen guitar fretboard display.
- If the instrument is Acoustic Piano and there is an “N” in the Chart column, the instrument has a Jazz piano RealChart. RealTracks piano parts that are on the piano track will appear with the right and left hands split in notation.
- The various other instruments with an “N” (Pedal Steel, Slide Guitar, Resophonic, Trumpet, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax) have RealCharts in standard notation.
Found this thread after spending an hour or two trying to figure out why leadsheet tab was missing for the bass.
Not at all obvious.. I can substitute in another bass but the regenerated realtrack is new, to match the style of the new bass style.

Question: if I am using e.g. 903 (Smooth cool jazz, sw16) that doesn't have notation, and want to write down the generated bassline, do I have better options than just listening and transcribing like we used to do in the olden times?
Quote:
...want to write down the generated bassline, do I have better options than just listening and transcribing like we used to do in the olden times?

Melodyn 5, welcome to the future.
Are there good videos on doing this with Melodyn 5?
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Are there good videos on doing this with Melodyn 5?

You could start here.
Melodyne

Then here
Yes, there are are over 2,600 hours of transcribed RealTracks and RealDrums. That’s about 90% of all of them, We call the transcriptions “RealCharts”. This includes 100% of the Soloists (e.g. guitar solo) and 100% of Background Soloists (e.g. pedal steel background).

The 10% that don’t have transcriptions are typically unusual ones - e.g. chording ones on an instrument like bouzouki, mandolin, Charango, cuatro etc. that aren’t common instruments, are in special tunings, and have no MIDI pickup. Or novelty ones like jaw harp.

Remember that the RealCharts aren’t just for the notation. They are also useful for :
- onscreen display of the instrument fretboard (guitar, bass) or piano keyboard.
- guitar and bass tab
- drum display on animated drum kit
- use as a midi chart so that it is played by another MIDI (synth) instruments.

If you watch the notation and on screen guitar, even if you aren’t following most of it, you will visually recognize what it is going on, and I find it very helpful. Especially for guitar, it is such a visual instrument, that seeing the notes light up on the fretboard gives you a good idea of what is being played.
© PG Music Forums