PG Music Home
I'm trying to do a walk down from the 4 chord to the one then a walk up from the 5 chord to the one in a waltz but I can't make it sound right. Any tips?
Debby:

This is a copy/paste from BIAB 2021.
I assume you're looking for the bass to do the "walking".
Depending on the style, the walking bass may not be predominant but you can turn up the volume on that track.

[Chords]
|:a) C| C| C| C| F| F| F| F F/E F/D|
| C| C| C| C| G| G| G| G G/F G/D|
| C|
[ChordsEnd]

Let us know if this is what you're looking for.
Otherwise, someone wiser here can likely help out.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
So... I don't always try to have every chord on a beat in a walk up/down. You don't actually have to have that to have it sound good.

Try Something like this.... walk from C to G.... CCEF G.... however, you can use slash chords.... C C/D E F The bass is walking up but the chord doesn't follow but doesn't have to. A D major chord in there might not sound as good as holding the C and walking the bass to D....

Hope that makes sense. I use this trick a lot. You mind is listening for the walk.... hears the D note and your brain translates it as "good".

Walking down is the same principle. If something sounds wonky or wrong, simply hold the chord and walk the bass note. Waaa Laaa!
Hi Debby, I may have something to add, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. If the previous replies have given you what you're looking for then great, but if not could you perhaps provide a link to an example so I can check what it is you're after?
As suggested, slash chords will probably give you the bass notes you require, but unfortunately BIAB can randomly choose the octave making the run sound "off". You may have to regenerate the bass a few times then freeze when you get something you like. Alternatively, you could fix the bass track in a DAW then bring it back into BIAB as a WAV.

Good luck,
Vintage
As Vintage says, you could fix the notes in the bass track
but you could do it right in BIAB if it's a MIDI track,
by using the Piano Roll or Notation Mode,
then Freeze that track as he suggested.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
There is a feature where you can add scales under Soloist | Scales | Generate Scales. It does use MIDI, so it would sound similar to if enter the notes in manually in either the notation or piano roll. But if the result is the same for what you're looking for, it can save you some time. The scale can be added to either the Soloist track or the Melody track.

Attached picture soloist_scales_generate_scales.PNG
Chantelle,

That is a neat idea. I never thought of using scales. I'm looking forward to trying out your idea. What a creative solution!
Chantelle, does this also work for RTs?

Haven't tried as I am not on my music computer.

Thanks for your input! smile
Mike, the Scales will work along with RealTracks, but the generated 'soloist' data will be MIDI.
Thanks, VT!
© PG Music Forums