PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Build 832 [Resolved] - 04/24/21 10:06 AM
HI guys,
Just tried downloading build 832...
Norton has removed as per the attached screenshot.
Something to do with WS.Reputation.1
Is this something to worry about to is Norton being overzealous?
Thanks in advance

Attached picture 2021-04-24 (1).png
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 10:34 AM
If you downloaded it from the PG Music website, there will definitely not be any issue with it.

Interestingly, I use Norton and it did not raise any issue.

I would try downloading again in case the previous file became corrupted somehow.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
If you downloaded it from the PG Music website, there will definitely not be any issue with it.

Really? So it would be impossible for PGM to get hacked? I'd agree the likelihood is the file is good but I'd always defer to my antivirus software.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 04:20 PM
There’s nothing wrong with the install or any files, and the Norton “reputation” message isn’t even suggesting there is a virus.

That message is just Norton declaring the file as a “new” file, by its “reputation” assessment. So it doesn’t know enough about it to clear it,
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/clarification-wsreputation1-detection

All that it takes to get flagged these days is a coincidence of a series of bytes matching any of the millions of lists of bytes in the Norton database. With big installs with audio files etc., false positives are a common occurrence.

We will let Norton know at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 04:37 PM
> I'd always defer to my antivirus software.

OK. What did your AV software have to say about the install?
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
> I'd always defer to my antivirus software.

OK. What did your AV software have to say about the install?

I've recently stopped downloading and installing the updates. In the past I have had Avast stop the install of a PGM update many times.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 08:06 PM

That is a good process to follow before every release.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 08:12 PM
There’s nothing wrong with the install or any files, and the Norton “reputation” message isn’t even suggesting there is a virus.

That message is just Norton declaring the file as a “new” file, by its “reputation” assessment. So it doesn’t know enough about it to clear it,
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/clarification-wsreputation1-detection

All that it takes to get flagged these days is a coincidence of a series of bytes matching any of the millions of lists of bytes in the Norton database. With big installs with audio files etc., false positives are a common occurrence.

We will let Norton know at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

As I acknowledged, the file is probably fine but I also think it is a huge mistake to simply assume because a file came from a trusted vendor that is is immune from being compromised. That is the path to an infected computer!

Norton says

"The reputation-based system uses 'the wisdom of crowds' (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

"When our reputation technology encounters a brand-new file (including items you might create on your own), it relies on a number of factors to determine reputation. We use all of these factors to ensure we can provide the maximum protection for users while preventing false positives. 'Newness' is only one factor we use."
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Build 832 - 04/24/21 09:27 PM
Everything I download is checked by my antivirus software also. That never, ever gets bypassed. I'm running Norton Lifelock 360. It is continually updated. It did not raise an alert for this update when I downloaded it from the PG Music site.
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Build 832 - 04/25/21 12:20 AM
Hi VideoTrack
I'm also running Norton Lifelock 360.
I'm going to download anyway and see what happens...
Thanks to all for your input
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Build 832 - 04/25/21 12:40 AM
Do let us know how you go, Mark. I really believe that this is a false positive. I also believe that PG Music have very good virus prevention systems in place.
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Build 832 - 04/25/21 01:29 AM
Just completed the download and installed without any interference from Norton...
Problem solved!
Thank you everyone for helping me to understand this issue.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Build 832 - 04/25/21 08:24 PM
Update from my experience...I just downloaded and installed 832 and Avast did not report any issues.
© PG Music Forums