PG Music Home
Posted By: MovingAir Substyles glitch - 04/27/21 07:26 PM
I'm working on a song at 80 BPM, and I changed it to 160 BPM by changing the song form. Did the Edit>Song Form>Expand. The bars expanded, the BPM changed... Except the markers where the substyles change did not move. So instead of maintaining verse/chorus continuity, it's just a scattering of substyle breaks.

It appears that expanding the bars works just fine if you work in 4 bar sections (or 8, 12, so on). However, if your section is 5 bars or 9 bars, then it doesn't recalculate where the breaks should move to.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: Substyles glitch - 04/28/21 09:58 AM
Hi MovingAir! We just have a few questions so that we may do relevant testing. What Style are you using? What version year of Band-in-a-Box do you have, and what is the build number? You can check under Help | About Band-in-a-Box, the build number is the number in brackets after the version year.

You can also check if there are any new build updates to install for your version on this webpage: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm
Posted By: MovingAir Re: Substyles glitch - 04/28/21 12:39 PM
Style doesn't matter. I've tried it with a half a dozen styles, and it's always the same result. Any style I grab randomly gives me this result. Just make up any chord progression - or no progression at all. Same result.

For example: I just opened a brand new session. Loaded no style, did not add any chords to the default, and never generated anything.

I insert subsections at bar 5 (four bars), 10 (five bars), 16 (six bars), and 23 (seven bars).

Then I go Edit>Song Form>Expand, then I end up with subsections at:

9 (moved correctly)
10 (did not move)
16 (did not move)
and 31 (moved, but 12 bars instead of 14).

I am using version 832, Windows, 64 bit version.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: Substyles glitch - 04/28/21 04:45 PM
The Part Markers all appear on the left hand side and the repeat for the choruses is there when we followed your same steps. You could try going to Options | Return to Factory Settings and see if that helps.

If the problem continues, please freeze your tracks and email a copy of your song to support@pgmusic.com for testing. Please also include screenshots of what you're experiencing.
Posted By: MovingAir Re: Substyles glitch - 04/30/21 11:05 AM
I don't think we're on the same page here. It has NOTHING to do with the style or tracks or anything like that. It's the simple fact that it does not double the length of measures if it's not in a 4 bar section (or some multiple of). I wish I could add images here. You'd very clearly see what I mean.
Posted By: MovingAir Re: Substyles glitch - 04/30/21 11:25 AM
I emailed support with images of the problem. It's not that the measures aren't expanding, it's just not removing the markers from their original points. So I'm ending up with multiple points: the new markers and the original markers. And the extended markers don't seem to be starting from the right places either.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Substyles glitch - 04/30/21 02:57 PM
Hi MovingAir, I can confirm this glitch and will report it to the development team.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Substyles glitch - 05/02/21 10:53 AM
Yes, that issue has been fixed and will show up in future patch. It’s been around for many years, and not noticed. It resulted in an extra part marker when expanding chords in certain cases, as you pointed out.
© PG Music Forums