PG Music Home
Posted By: biab-user Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 10:52 AM
On Bar 1, I have entered a C6 / CmMaj7 /. BIAB instead plays CMaj7 / CMaj7 / and the Guitar Chords show also CMaj7 instead of C6.

This happens throughout the song.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

How can I let BIAB play what I intended?

Thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 11:22 AM
An initial test:
Did you ever save the song as an audio file before changing any chords?

Are any tracks frozen?

What Style are you using?

How are you viewing the Guitar Chords?

Can you attach the SGU file to your reply (via the File Manager link) so that somebody here can test for you?

What version / build of BiaB are you using?

(Yes, more questions than answers, but we need to know more about your situation/environment).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 11:46 AM
As above. But you could try disabling Natural Arrangement for this song.
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
As above. But you could try disabling Natural Arrangement for this song.

Hi Matt.
Thank you for coming to the rescue. Your suggestion seems to have worked!

So may settings and no brain space to memorize them. smile

Thanks again!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 06:01 PM
Great outcome. I woke up early to add the natural arrangements check, but Matt beat me to it.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/01/21 06:34 PM
The file you sent sounds perfect to me (no wrong chords like CmMaj7). I'm assuming we are talking about the guitar part, (although all of the tracks sound fine).

That's an old RealTracks you're using (555) (an oldie but a goodie of Freddie style comping).
If there is a wrong chord at your end, perhaps you have an old version of the file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.st2
It should be July 16, 2010 (and same with the related file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.xt2).

If it is July 16, 2010, then re-upload that song with the guitar track frozen so we can hear what you're hearing. Note that Freddie style 4-in-the-bar comping frequently uses passing chords, that's part of the style and intentional.
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
The file you sent sounds perfect to me (no wrong chords like CmMaj7). I'm assuming we are talking about the guitar part, (although all of the tracks sound fine).

That's an old RealTracks you're using (555) (an oldie but a goodie of Freddie style comping).
If there is a wrong chord at your end, perhaps you have an old version of the file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.st2
It should be July 16, 2010 (and same with the related file c:\bb\soloists\RAcG034.xt2).

If it is July 16, 2010, then re-upload that song with the guitar track frozen so we can hear what you're hearing. Note that Freddie style 4-in-the-bar comping frequently uses passing chords, that's part of the style and intentional.

Hi Peter,
I thought this was resolved... but it isn't.

Yes, that is the same file as you listed above.

1) The notation does not match the sound I am hearing.
2) The guitar window does not show the correct chords.
3) The guitar chords on the notation window does not show the same chords as written on the arranger window. Yes, the text shows C6 but the fingering diagram shows CMaj7.

This is very confusing to me, as I am trying to learn some Jazz chords and I simply don't know which fingering pattern to use. I play by ear (would love to be able to read notation) and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Another thing...
When I try to use the guitar tutor and select the "Play Chords Through MIDI" no midi sound is heard. I can only hear the MIDI sound if I copy the Guitar track to either the Melody or the Soloist. What am I doing wrong?

I attach the .SGU file with the frozen Guitar Track as requested.

Thanks.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 10:49 AM
> and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Please turn off the natural arrangement feature. Then you get the exact chord you requested. The “natural arrangement” feature is like handing a leadsheet to a professional musician - where you might write C6 CMaj7 and the pro musician will just look at it and think “C” with added maj7, 9, 6th etc. as they see fit.
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 11:14 AM
> and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart.

Please turn off the natural arrangement feature. Then you get the exact chord you requested. The “natural arrangement” feature is like handing a leadsheet to a professional musician - where you might write C6 CMaj7 and the pro musician will just look at it and think “C” with added maj7, 9, 6th etc. as they see fit.

I did turn off natural arrangement and now problem "1)" is resolved.

The rest is still remain unresolved.

When I click on the RE-Generate icon I can briefly notice a yellow Piano 2 text appearing on the Soloist track, for about 2 seconds and then it disappears. Is this normal? Anyway, like I said, the rest is still unresolved.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 11:23 AM
> This is very confusing to me, as I am trying to learn some Jazz chords and I simply don't know which fingering pattern to use. I play by ear (would love to be able to read notation) and I definitely don't like the sound of the C6 being replaced with Cmaj7 as the first chord and later down the chart

If it was me, I would just look at the guitar fretboard, and forget about the notation. Just watch what the pro is playing, and if you like it, copy it. If needed, slow the whole thing down using the % control beside the tempo.
Then you’re doing two good things:
1. Improving your ear by playing what you hear. You listen to how the pro is playing it (timing, attack etc) and see the notes he is using, and you duplicate it,
2. Improving your guitar fretboard “visual recognition” so you can “sight read” what a guitar player is playing just by looking at their fretboard, that is a great skill you can use, when watching guitar YouTube videos etc.

> When I try to use the guitar tutor and select the "Play Chords Through MIDI" no midi sound is heard. I can only hear the MIDI sound if I copy the Guitar track to either the Melody or the Soloist. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure. Make sure you have latest version (833). We will look into that. Until then, If you want to hear them, copy the track to the soloist track.

The guitar tutor is a good way to learn chords and that applies if you just see the chords or also hear them played by the tutor.
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 12:34 PM

Not sure. Make sure you have latest version (833). We will look into that. Until then, If you want to hear them, copy the track to the soloist track.

The guitar tutor is a good way to learn chords and that applies if you just see the chords or also hear them played by the tutor.

I have the latest, build (833).

Something its not right... There is no point of having the guitar Chords displaying the wrong pattern.

Can someone else please check the file that I uploaded to see if it display the chords correct? Also to check if you can use the Guitar tutor playing through MIDI?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 12:35 PM
Earlier, Peter mentioned that this was an older RealTrack. In the first days of RealTracks, around 2008/9 I reported that on some songs, the piano would simply drop out on a mMaj7 chord. The problem was quickly fixed, something about an index. I didn't have a guitar playing on my songs (this was before nylon Brazilian guitar RealTracks), so perhaps that particular track has the same problem and it just hasn't been noticed until now?
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Earlier, Peter mentioned that this was an older RealTrack. In the first days of RealTracks, around 2008/9 I reported that on some songs, the piano would simply drop out on a mMaj7 chord. The problem was quickly fixed, something about an index. I didn't have a guitar playing on my songs (this was before nylon Brazilian guitar RealTracks), so perhaps that particular track has the same problem and it just hasn't been noticed until now?

Tried different Styles. No difference.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 02:32 PM
The Guitar chord diagrams and everything else looks fine to me

For example, anything look wrong on this screenshot? The chord diagrams aren't meant to match the guitarists playing at that time. They are just showing typical jazz chord examples of the chords.

Attached picture GuitarChordDiagrams.PNG
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 03:11 PM
Peter, This is what I see.

Not sure how to insert the image, on this message, so I uploaded it with the file manager (just getting tired trying to solve BIAB problem and can't think straight.)

I have pinpointed the No MIDI sound on the Guitar Tutor window... it is driver related. I will open another thread to explain and for help resolving it.

Attached picture Wrong chord pattern.png
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 03:30 PM
The jazz diagrams are allowing some embellishments, you could try the pop ones if you don’t want that. In BiaB jazz, C6 and CMaj7 are considered similar chords for lots of things. For example, the styles, which is why you’re often seeing maj7 voicings on a C6 chord. The pop and country ones don’t do that. This is all by design.

If you’re interested in Freddie 4 in the voicings, forget about the chord diagrams and look at the tab below the notation, or just watch the on screen guitar. And for jazz, when the chord is C6, expect jazz musicians (and BiaB) to take liberties with it and play extensions like C69 , CMaj9 etc.
If you want more exact voicings, choose pop diagrams. If you want open string “campfire” voicings, choose Folk.
Posted By: biab-user Re: Chords entered not playing correct. - 05/02/21 04:02 PM
Thank you for explaining this to me, Peter. This information will be useful to many people with the same knowledge as me, regarding Jazz.

Regarding the Audio problem mentioned in my posts above, I have started a separate topic here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=654137#Post654137
© PG Music Forums