PG Music Home
I often import melody from some midi files exported from Musescore. When I try to change the instrument, say from piano to sax, the name changes but the sound doesn't. It seems that the midi files have patch changes embedded in them that do not get removed on import even though the Patch Changes box is unchecked. It seems the filtering isn't working.

I resolve this by importing the melody midi to BIAB, exporting it from BIAB to another midi file (say f2.mid) and then importing f2.mid to BIAB.

The same problem arises when I import some Musescore xml files - the melody instrument won't change.
Alf:

After importing the MIDI file, you could check the Event List window in BIAB
and see if there's a patch change imbedded on any of the tracks, then delete it.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
There definitely are patch changes. The event list editor will find them. My complaint is I shouldn't have to do anything since the import midi window apparently allows me to exclude patch changes but doesn't.
I would email Support and send them your BIAB file and the MIDI file you're importing.
If it's a bug, it needs fixing.

Or you could post them here and see if anyone else gets the same result.
This does indeed sound odd. Definitely Support should see this. How about a test file for all of us to take a look at? You can post one here.

Jeff
maybe 'patch change' is not the same as the original patch selection command. i would have thought any midi file has a patch specified as originally created - a piano track is a piano track and a horn track a horn track. 'patch change' would be another instrument at some part of the track. so the original patch number would survive the import. or am i totally misguided?

patch change implies you have something to change from
© PG Music Forums