PG Music Home
After a suggestion to route MIDI to my stage piano, which is awkward for me, I decided to buy myself a Ketron SD1000 and route the MIDI to that.

It seems to do a decent job, except that the volume of my piano was rather low in comparison with the mix of the BIAB Instruments.

I enabled 'Thru' on the mixer and increased the volume to 127, which made it reasonable, but felt like a bad solution.

I figured that the master volume controls were probably there for this purpose, so I shifted the volume control left. No effect. Everything just kept playing at the same volume. I muted master and the sound mutes as expected.

I started exploring further.

The individual tracks: volume, mute and solo, operate as I expect.

But those master volume controls do nothing.

I also now realise that the master VU meters show nothing, but that master mute still mutes.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Oh yes, Build 833.

Thanks.
Gordon.
Hi

I don’t know about your metering problem.
But this should help with your thru volume

Options / Preferences / midi options / Boost Thru velocity to.

Near Bottom of page right.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks. If that works OK, I can probably get by without the Mixer controls and VUs.

If my problem as reported seems wrong to PGM and they look at it, I've seen another oddity in a related area. Again I don't know if it's my lack of understanding, or a bug, but: At some stage when I load and/or regenerate and/or change style on these songs, my keyboard ('thru') volume drops and I than set it up again with the keyboard volume control.
My piano is already sending quite high velocities. If I boost it much more, it'll be sending mostly 127s.
I do need to turn the rest down, not the thru up.

Perhaps I just have to turn them all down individually. Not hard, but a nuisance. Maybe that's just the way it is.
Gordon,

If your using RealTracks in your song there are two settings that may help.

Use Ctrl + E to open the Preference Settings then select the RealTracks button.

The two settings highlighted may be helpful.

Also, there is a setting in Song Settings that may be helpful. Entering a negative value lowers the song volume while a positive value raises volume.

Description: RealTracks Settings Window
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg

Description: Song Settings Window
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
Hi Jim,

At present all sounds are from the SD1000, so no RealTracks.

At home I may link the SD1000 back into my Focusrite box, but I need to get a cable and I was hoping to reduce the number of boxes and leads, not increase them (*).

(*) I have a Q49 keyboard on my boat and have been trying to reduce the stuff I carry and use on board. I'd hoped to have just a notepad PC. Then I'd hoped for that plus the Focusrite, then the PC plus the SD1000 (but there's no USB sound on that). All three plus plug-tops, cables, headphones/speaker is a small nightmare of boxes and a rats-nest of cables. It would also be a mess on stage. I considered one of the Ketron arrangers, but the documentation is sparse or absent, the power consumption is quite high for the boat and it's yet more money with no guarantees.

I'm now working on a design for a small, 12V-powerable, semi-autonomous, midi-synth+arranger, which hopefully will allow me to get most of this clutter down to one small portable box.
© PG Music Forums