PG Music Home
Posted By: GAJ52 Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/06/21 03:25 PM
I recently purchased a BIAB tutorial from Groove3. The guy narrating this tutorial is using a Mac and one thing that stood out was his menu options was very easy to read.

I find the Windows 10 menu options and help text very thin and spindly making it difficult to read. Can anyone suggest a way to get a better (thicker) font for the menu options text.

Glen
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/06/21 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: GAJ52
I recently purchased a BIAB tutorial from Groove3. The guy narrating this tutorial is using a Mac and one thing that stood out was his menu options was very easy to read.

I find the Windows 10 menu options and help text very thin and spindly making it difficult to read. Can anyone suggest a way to get a better (thicker) font for the menu options text.

Glen

It may depend on your screen resolution also. You can try this:
Right-click on the desktop, choose Display Settings, then increase the Scale for the text size from the drop-down list.

Attached picture 2021-06-07_8-29-54.jpg
Posted By: GAJ52 Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/07/21 12:32 PM
Many thanks for pointing out that display option, I tried it but it made everything bigger not just text. I did find a means to just increase text via Start - Settings - Ease of Access - Display, but it didn't work with the BIAB help files. Its not a big problem I just noticed the clarity of the Mac text compared to Windows, but no I wont be buying a Mac just to improve the readability of the BIAB options/help screens.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/08/21 11:32 AM
There is a free app called "System Font Changer"

I don't remember where I downloaded it from, but its name is A+changesize.exe

You can change the font, make them bold or italic, and change size.

I did a search and this looks like it:

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/system-font-size-changer

Notes
Posted By: GAJ52 Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/08/21 01:29 PM
Notes, many thanks this looks quite interesting, I'll give it a try.

I have queried this problem before in other software, Windows 10 seems to lack text display options especially with regard to software help files which as I said in my opening message produces a very thin spindly text font, which was only brought to my attention by the BIAB tutorial using a Mac system.

I'm tending to blame Microsoft for this issue but is there another software option PG Music could use to create their help files ?
Posted By: XilburQost Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/09/21 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: GAJ52
I'm tending to blame Microsoft for this issue but is there another software option PG Music could use to create their help files ?

From what I understand from tech experts, Windows is lousy compared to Macs when it comes to managing font resolutions and quality. I'd be curious if you find a solution as my own eyes demand larger fonts and it's a constant battle from one Windows app to another, most of which default to smallish fonts and don't respond to OS font settings.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Any way to change fonts in menus - 06/09/21 04:42 PM
About Macs, true.

I do what VideoTrack does, set the percentage larger on my 32" monitor. Caution: on programs that do not scale well, this can cause text to overflow the allotted space for it. You see this in BIAB.

I recall something called Clear Type that helped. I think I stumbled upon that still in Windows 10, but I'm not positive. It takes you through maybe eight screens where you say what looks better. Much like your eye doctor.
© PG Music Forums