PG Music Home
Posted By: Gordon Scott Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/08/21 04:47 PM
I saw this and thought I'd found how/where to set defaults volumes for the various channels. Page 485 of the manuals seems to suggests that, though it's a bit vague about precisely wheat these do.

I set all but thru from the default 90 to 60, so that my Thru instrument isn't drowned out.

No change to mixer volume values or outpiut volumes on my SD1000.

I check it in the dialog ... it still says 60, so I guess maybe I have to save and restart ... so I do.

The mixer still shows 90, the Prefs->Channels still show 90 for all channels.

How does this dialog work, please?
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/08/21 06:02 PM
Uh, OK, it seems the values in the dialog are set from the mixer, not by typing in the boxes, and are saved with the song. I can't presently see what the SAVE button in the dialog achieves ... it saves to a file, but I can't presently see how/when/where that file gets loaded. I presumed at start-up, but maybe not.

I've also noticed on another song that the Thru instrument gets perturbed by what's playing. It appears in this case that the Bass instrument (MIDI channel 2 according to the dialog) manages to set the Thru instument (MIDI channel 5) to "something" (presumably the base instrumernt, and also at a lower volume, probably that 60), then sets it right, then wrong, then right, then wrong all through my attempts to play.

Is it just me?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/08/21 10:42 PM
Gordon,

I believe "Save A Song With Patches And Harmony", or Alt+F2, saves mixer volume settings in addition to MIDI patches.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/09/21 03:09 AM
Hi Gordon,

There's an option in BIAB to boost THRU velocities. This should boost the incoming signal on the THRU channel so that the sound is louder.

To adjust this...

1) Enter "Options | Preferences"

2) Select "Channels" (#1 on the image below)

3) Select "Options" (#2 on image)

4) Enter a value in the "Boost velocity" textbox (#3). It will have zero in it by default.Try 10 or 20 to start with.

Both positive and negative values can be entered here. Positive = increase velocity; negative = decrease velocity.

Save your way out of Options.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture thru velocity.JPG
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/09/21 12:04 PM
Hi guys,

My original post was because I'd found a dialog that appeared should offer global control of the MIDI channel settings, but the Vol part, at least, seemed to do nothing, so either I misunderstand its purpose or it doesn't work. It now seems to me like it's a bit of each or those.

I'd rather hoped I could set up BIAB to a mix that was a comfortable starting-point for me, without setting up and saving every song.

I'd rather not boost the Thru velocity as that presumably reduces my dynamic range. Actually, at the moment I'm playing using a MIDI lead to bypass BIAB anyway. All "Thru" should do is set the patch. That probably means I can control the mix between BIAB and me with the master volume, though that controls the volume, not the velocity behaviour ... like telling the sax player he's too loud and to move well away from he mic., please.

Generally I'm trying to use BIAB as a "better than iRealPro" for practising, but I feel I'm spending too much time trying to get BIAB to behave and too little time practicing.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Prefs->Channels Volume (2021 833) - 06/14/21 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I've also noticed on another song that the Thru instrument gets perturbed by what's playing. It appears in this case that the Bass instrument (MIDI channel 2 according to the dialog) manages to set the Thru instrument (MIDI channel 5) to "something"

After some messing about, I retrieved the USB Hub I'd tried to lose, patched everything within BIAB and all returns to normal.

This appears to be an artefact of feeding the controller keyboard directly to the SD1000 MIDI-IN port. I get the impression that when it receives note data from the MIDI port, the SD1000 plays notes from whatever was the the last instrument that it played from the USB, ignoring my keyboard channel. I'll need some smarter tools to prove that, and at present I can't be doing with it.
© PG Music Forums