PG Music Home
Hi guys.
I’ve recently set up an account with Distrokid and have released several original tracks on there,but I’d like to release several songs I’ve made using Realtracks and I was wondering what the legal situation was with using those on potentially commercial releases?
Do I need to credit the performers individually on any track released or can I just do a general acknowledgment on the track info?
I would like to know what the right thing to do is.
Cheers guys!
I understand that any original music you create with BiaB is your own and you are free to use it as you wish, but you should seek clarification from PG Music just to make sure.
The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, and PowerTracks are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others. https://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq5.htm#23

The following add-ons are under PG Music Inc. copyright:

Band-in-a-Box demo songs
PowerTracks MultiTracks
Performance Series songs
MIDI Fakebooks (except the Sound Tracks MIDI Fakebooks)

For specific details on how copyright laws work in your unique region, please contact your local copyrights law office.
We have 24 songs licensed to worldwide companies and all use BiaB tracks. As Chantelle mentioned we own all the rights to them. FWIW, we spread the PG Music joy and frequently reference the company but we do not use the names of the RT/RD/MST artists.

Have fun with the release. Our experience with Distrokid has been positive.

Bud
Originally Posted By: Riccled
Hi guys.
I’ve recently set up an account with Distrokid and have released several original tracks on there,but I’d like to release several songs I’ve made using Realtracks and I was wondering what the legal situation was with using those on potentially commercial releases?
Do I need to credit the performers individually on any track released or can I just do a general acknowledgment on the track info?
I would like to know what the right thing to do is.
Cheers guys!

Years ago I asked PGM about referencing/mentioning/naming artists who played the RealTracks on my songs and was told specifically and explicitly NOT to ever do that.

As for a general acknowledgement I would strongly recommend against it. Some libraries and online services are unfamiliar with BIAB and listing it may cause your music to be rejected as they may view it as similar to loops or samples. In general don't give out more info than you need to.
Along the above lines, in the earliest days of RealTracks (2009) when we asked this question, we were told not to use the artist names, but it would be OK to give a general thank you to PG Music in your credits.
Thanks guys,I appreciate the advice,I shall look forward to releasing my back catalogue of BIAB tracks shortly,I’m doing slow but steady progress with Spotify,I’ve had over 50 streams in the first 3 weeks which is a start and I’ll try and promote the music on all my social media outlets.
Cheers everyone!
© PG Music Forums