PG Music Home
I pressed the Play+ button which generated a new version of the guitar RealTrack. I didn't freeze the track and now I can't go back to a previous version that I liked. No matter how many times I have pressed the Play+ button it just won't generate that same nice version again. Is the ANY way to control how BIAB generates a new version of the track each time you press Play+? If not, this is kind of sucky.
i don't think there is. freeze was introduced to save tracks you like. the only possible solution i can think of is to open the project in RealBand, then generate multiple versions and cut and paste the bits you like together, make a wav file and then import that back into BIAB.

RealTracks must have a finite number of variations so that might just get you the bits you like but its a long and fiddly process. sorry i can't be of more help.
The tracks will keep re-generating until you freeze the track, which is the snowflake (*) button in the mixer. You could use the MultiRiffs feature to generate several instances of a RealTrack, freeze them, then choose to use the one you like best. More info on this feature is in this video: https://youtu.be/1akkEAxVy2o
BIAB runs on a machine using a randomize function, which in computer algorithms is not truly random, and the recorded RealTracks have playing that is not unlimited, so theoretically if you regenerated VERY MANY times you might get close again. You know about freeze, as explained above. So I think the practical answer is No. When you hear something you like, freeze it. Or, if you have BIAB 2021, move it to a Utility Track just in case you want to keep trying but finally decide you can't find anything better.

And since you asked for ANY way to control this, if your RealTrack is mostly right and has a few areas you don't like, then it is possible to use an expensive plugin called Melodyne Studio to edit the individual pitches and rhythms inside a polyphonic audio recording. I will just say this is painstaking work, but you asked. Since it's just one instrument, guitar, it will likely be polyphonic but not as difficult to edit as a mix of a whole band.

One more thought, since you asked about ANY way to control this. I would expect that if you selected Simple as an option for that RealTrack, there would be fewer RealTrack possibilities generated. This is just a guess, but it seems intuitive.

Thanks for the info to all of you. I'm a little disappointed about this but, oh well.... I'm on BIAB 2020 so I can't use utility tracks until I upgrade. The track that I liked was a Gypsy Jazz style and I wanted to isolate the guitar part which not only had certain chord variations that I liked but also some of the bars had an interesting syncopation in the right places. I suppose if I sat here all day and tried to bring it back by pressing F4 it might work eventually, but I have other things to do.

So, is there a way to have BIAB play the ACTUAL chord that I tell it to play instead of it deciding on its own to randomize variations on the theme every time that it plays the song?
"Degenerate" this has been suggest in the wish list.
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Another thing that came to me was the word Degenerate, this could allow you to go back anytime select a section that was previously generated over and select Degenerate to get the old one back as the new one is %^&* and the old was better.
You can take it further than the simple Degenerate.
Be able to select from previous generations with a right click even.
If they can get over to that Play Direct method it would be just be storing the track section data from the previous generations that you can select from and it would instantly play it without it being in other track.
A selectable Undo.
I like the term: "Degenerate", it encapsulates other connotations. grin
But yes, "Undo" would be a great feature, and probably not incredibly difficult to implement. Just keep a record of the meta-data that was used to create the track.
I know this is on the wishlist already, but I'll go ahead and resubmit the suggestion to the internal wishlist database. Your best friend will definitely be the freeze button. You can always save multiple versions of the song as well - perhaps something to the effect of "songname-V1" as your original song file that you don't save changes to, and then other iterations as "songname-V2, "songname-V3", "songname-V4" for each version you've regenerated that you liked, then chose to freeze again. It would take up extra space, but you could always delete the specific versions you don't like, but this way having multiple versions of the song will allow you to play around however much you like without fear of losing a specific sound you like by utilizing the "save as" option.
© PG Music Forums