PG Music Home
Posted By: Shamrock Celtic and Reels - 12/28/09 06:50 PM
OK I'm still back at BIAB 2007, but the reason is I'm awaiting some good tracks to appear for Irish styles like the Chieftains. I've seen it asked here before without any light bulbs going off for me.

Here' a perfect example (click half way through) Cotton Eyed Joe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZ0eZ196SM, or Galway Girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFlfSeh-Ts8

I know I could probably create them but there must be some resource out there or within BIAB that can address this kind of backing to my mandolin. The new real tracks from what I can see don't address it; much of the Irish stuff seems to be the caricature jig, but I need an even but strong modern uptempo track. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Mac Re: Celtic and Reels - 12/29/09 12:39 AM
There is the MIDI Style Wizard that allows us to make a Style file out of any standard MIDI file rather easily as compared to "rolling your own" from scratch using the Stylemaker.

I don't remember if version 2007 had the MIDI Style Wizard or not anymore, you should look for it in the program, though. Or upgrade to get it.

With that, you may be able to make your own styles from MIDI files of the sound you want.

--Mac
Posted By: Shamrock Re: Celtic and Reels - 12/29/09 02:46 AM
Hmm, good idea. That might be easier. Thanks.
***Updated the link to demo as I realised the previous link didn't work***

I am trying to get the Celtic / Reel feel using the 2010 version and feel this software has 'real' potential in this regard. Here is a very early work in progress attempt of a traditional irish reel called Jenny's Chickens using the style DOCBG_M.STY (Med Bluegrass w Mando (100 RS) :

http://stashbox.org/755366/Jenny%27s%20Chickens.mp3

Looking forward to exploring the potential here.

ColinMc
That's pretty good. I can't find that style so maybe I should upgrade!

But BIAB does sell us short overall on Celtic I think.

The most confusing part for me is sometimes a 220 tempo does it, but some other bluegrass type of styles suddenly sound right when you halve the tempo, and I end up reducing or expanding the duration of chords, and end up somewhat confused sometimes when moving it over to my sequencer.
I do wish they'd create RealTracks for Celtic fiddle and accordion, and RealDrums for bodhran. Banjo and mandolin waltz would also be nice.
Shamrock,

My example above is a realtracks style which wouldn't be in BIAB 2007 & recorded @ 240 bpm & took advantage of the new 2010 feature where BIAB automatically halved the realtracks tempo to provide a better tempo match. So from my experimenting there is mix & match potential for celtic from existing resources within BIAB (bluegrass / country - realtracks) that said, I too would welcome some specific real tracks styles.

ColinMc
Ditto the whole let's lobby for this. The folk songs are ok, but if I had a wishlist to help the following would happen.

Support and styles for 6/8 and 12/8. Not workarounds.

Take the styles in the Scottish, Irish, and British folders and update them.

We do a celtic set, I play piano or keys and my wife the flute, but not with band in a box. That's 90 percent of our 'gigs' and I'd like to use it, but older Celtic stuff is sort of the order of the day. I remember finishing a set with our rendition of Johnny Cope and someone comes up to my wife and says she and her husband liked our "Robin Hood" music.

A lot of Canadian Folk tunes are 6/8 and 12/8. I'm still baffled why we have no Canadian Folk Song folder, except for the fact Victoria is a world away.
Quote:

A lot of Canadian Folk tunes are 6/8 and 12/8. I'm still baffled why we have no Canadian Folk Song folder, except for the fact Victoria is a world away.

Maybe we can buy Peter some Stan Rogers, Anne Murray, and Gordon Lightfoot for his birthday.... (g,d,r)
John,

I'm on board - my irish music background is the reason I came to band in a box as it is the only tool I have found which comes close albeit as you suggest, get there via workarounds.

ColinMc
Posted By: Mac Re: Celtic and Reels Demo - updated link to demo - 01/02/10 03:56 PM
John and I could make the Style files for you, but it comes at a steep price.

You will have to buy the whiskey.

--Mac
Well Mr. Gannon is Irish/Canadian....let's us hope.

The two areas of (semi)-neglect is their Celtic and um um ""Religious"" offerings. If they ever did a folder of hymn classics with a decent set of styles I'm afraid they'd have to hire more help. If you hang around here long enough that would hit you in the face.

On the other hand if that happens maybe they can have their own forum. From my experience the factions will splinter off into all kinds of groups. My mother and father in law both still have the gaelic bibles they were given as kids.

The brimstone in Gaelic was so much more eloquent, but I only got the jist if we stayed for the English service, same sermon.
Mac,

Tullamore Dew - 12 Year Old Special Reserve? Pure silk!

ColinMc
Ah the dew, and black bush gets a vote....

I was at some fancy meeting in Toronto and got tired of it. Always do. Went to the local, it's a knock off Irish Pub. A fine English gentleman spots my made in Ireland tweed hunting jacket (my uncle bought it in Dublin) and starts to talk to me. Traveling alone, silver hair, cane, dressed to the 9's. I was having an Oban. He bought me a nice single malt. Asked if I thought we could pick out whiskey's by taste. Ordered 4, straight up. Told the bartender to not show us what they were, price was no object. I leaned over and asked him to throw in 2 Tullamores. We drank and rated each one. One was Johnny Walker Blue, 50 bucks a pop. The Dew won. Hands down. He was astounded.
© PG Music Forums