PG Music Home
Posted By: tonnie Melody in the wrong key [Resolved] - 09/27/21 04:54 AM
Have entered a song in BB 2020, chords and melody, but when I play back just this song in BB 2021 the melody is played four notes (a quart) higher than the notation. The instrument for the melody is Vibraphone and I have not selected any harmony. The styles is: _BOSAMED.Style.

Any suggestions how to get the melody to play back correctly?

Tonnie
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Melody in the wrong key - 09/27/21 06:30 AM
page 254 of the manual describes how to set notation for non concert instruments - so notes play higher or lower than written. have a look at the manual and see if by any chance you've set a transpose by mistake
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Melody in the wrong key - 09/27/21 06:37 AM
Is it only the Melody track that plays at a different pitch?

If you mute the melody track, do you still hear a discrepancy? (i.e. is there another vibraphone track sound heard?)

Can you check if your have an audio file of the same song name in the same folder (e.g. a .WAV or .MP3 file with the same name)?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Melody in the wrong key - 09/27/21 07:13 AM
Hi Tonnie,

The easiest way to return to BIAB's default settings is "Options | Return to Factory Settings." Choose the "Most" option as this will keep all your audio and midi driver settings in place.

I usually try to find the solution to problems. Sometimes, though, when I just need a quick fix, "Return to factory settings" is the way to go.

Just a thought,
Noel

Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: Melody in the wrong key - 09/27/21 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
page 254 of the manual describes how to set notation for non concert instruments - so notes play higher or lower than written. have a look at the manual and see if by any chance you've set a transpose by mistake

Here are a couple screenshots to illustrate where to turn off visual transposition settings.

Attached picture Visual_Transpose_Classic_view.png
Attached picture Visual_Transpose_Modern_View.png
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Melody in the wrong key - 09/27/21 03:42 PM
In case that isn’t it, try another patch. I’ve seen the vibraphone patch do this if the patch map is not correct. Piano, however, sounds ok in those situations.
Posted By: tonnie Re: Melody still in the wrong key - 09/30/21 04:19 AM
Thank, you all for your suggestions, which however have not (yet) solved my problem.
I have checked in BB 2021 under Bb → C, Ch display. The default is Concert Key - no transpose and under Visual Transpose = No Transpose.
Changing the melody instrument from vibes ti piano did no do the trick either.
And again, the same files play correctly in BB 2020 version, and this happens only with this tune.
I am somewhat scared to return the factory settings.

Any other suggestions?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Melody still in the wrong key - 09/30/21 06:29 AM
Tonnie,

If you're worried about losing important settings, first save a backup of your current setup. Then you'll be able to reload that if you need to. The option is "Save preferences as" and it's under the 'Options' menu.

After you've done that, click on "Return to Factory Settings" and try the MOST option first. If that doesn't work, then try the ALL option. The difference between Most and All is that that Most will keep your MIDI and Audio setup in place.

Because you saved a backup of your preferences, getting them back is as easy as reloading the saved file.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Also make sure that you've installed the latest build for your version of BIAB.
Originally Posted By: Noel96

P.S. Also make sure that you've installed the latest build for your version of BIAB.

The latest builds for Windows are posted HERE.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Melody still in the wrong key - 09/30/21 10:14 AM
Is your MIDI synth set to 48KHz?
Posted By: tonnie Re: Melody in the wrong key - 10/05/21 05:02 AM
Have taken up my problem with this song with PG-support. They requested a copy of my song, with all track frozen. Am now awaiting their answer.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me!

Tonnie
Posted By: tonnie Re: Melody in the wrong key [Resolved] - 10/06/21 05:22 AM
Support gave me the following answer and corrected my song:

Your Melody track had an invalid pitch bend message at the beginning of it that was set to a value outside the MIDI specification. I'm not sure why, but 2020 ignored the invalid message, while 2021 tried to use it and pitched your Melody track up.

This fyi.

Tonnie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Melody in the wrong key [Resolved] - 10/06/21 07:08 AM
Originally Posted By: tonnie
Support gave me the following answer and corrected my song:

Your Melody track had an invalid pitch bend message at the beginning of it that was set to a value outside the MIDI specification. I'm not sure why, but 2020 ignored the invalid message, while 2021 tried to use it and pitched your Melody track up.

This fyi.

Tonnie

Thanks Tonnie for the feedback. It's interesting that the 2020 version protected violations of the MIDI spec, and 2021 didn't. That seems like something that was fixed got broken again?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Melody in the wrong key [Resolved] - 10/06/21 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting the answer and marking the post Resolved. I would never have guessed that reason.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Melody in the wrong key [Resolved] - 10/07/21 03:24 PM
I have seen this and should have figured it out. When in doubt I always look at the event list now and usually find the culprit. Nice catch by the support team.
© PG Music Forums