PG Music Home
I've written chords. But there are often sounds that feel discordant with the chord.
How to avoid these sounds that are not harmonious with chords?
I recorded a video. Pay attention to the piano sound at the 19th bar

please download:

Attached File
1001.mp4  (17 downloads)
These are RealTracks. Recordings of real musicians creating recordings of musical phrases. They may use 'artistic license' in their delivery.

To dumb it down, try this from the Song Settings options (experiment with other settings also):

Attached picture 2021-10-01_23-41-39.jpg
Your choice of Style will also affect this.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
These are RealTracks. Recordings of real musicians creating recordings of musical phrases. They may use 'artistic license' in their delivery.

To dumb it down, try this from the Song Settings options (experiment with other settings also):

I set it according to what you said, but I can't. Same as before.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Your choice of Style will also affect this.

Because this style has the feeling of jazz, the piano will be like this, won't it?
The only way to get exactly what you want is to either edit audio in a program like Melodyne or to edit MIDI in the piano roll view or the notation view.
As amazing as this program is, there are times when it simply will not give you what you want. Those times require you to think out of the box.

I have often used copy and paste.... I will find that chord in a different location in the song where it is rendered correctly and copy it from there and paste it into the wonky chord's place. I should note that this is done most often in the mixing stage while working in my DAW Sonar.

In Real Band, you can do similar things AND.... I believe you can force RB to regenerate just a small portion of the track.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
As amazing as this program is, there are times when it simply will not give you what you want. Those times require you to think out of the box.

I have often used copy and paste.... I will find that chord in a different location in the song where it is rendered correctly and copy it from there and paste it into the wonky chord's place. I should note that this is done most often in the mixing stage while working in my DAW Sonar.

In Real Band, you can do similar things AND.... I believe you can force RB to regenerate just a small portion of the track.

ok! grin
After listening to your file, I would say the chord the player played is not at all 'discordant', it's just a little flair with a quick G chord for interest. To my ear it is completely harmonious with the chords you wrote.

Something discordant there would be a C# chord etc. but what the artist played is in my opinion very tasteful and even necessary to avoid sameness.

If you don't like it, audio editing may be the answer here, and you swap out that bar for another.

Posted By: Dave Re: How to avoid discordant sounds with chords? - 10/01/21 03:49 PM
I listened to it a couple of times and I don't hear anything 'discordant' either. Maybe my ears are just not as sensitive as yours
One mans dissonance is another mans spice. Bottom line, that is the way BIAB with its real musicians was designed to play! Edit it in the DAW if you need to.
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
One mans dissonance is another mans spice.
Or one person's discord is anothers tension.

It's tension and release that add the file to music. For some, the more tension the better, for others and discord at all is unpleasant.

There is a saying, which may help, that no "wrong" note is more than a semitone away from a "right" note.

But as MusicStudent says, RealTracks are one persons approach to that blend of tension and release. If the blend doesn't suit your wants, you may need to change the RealTrack, or you may just be able to calm it down with a calmer chord. Perhaps G instead of G7 or G9 or Gsus4. The problem with doing that too much is that, to many listeners, the sound just becomes boring. It's usually the tension, the dissonance, that gives the zing and makes us go "wow".
I also had no issues with the performance. I call it 'artistic license' and it creates worthwhile character. Maybe the O/P just expected to hear pure triads of each chord played at regular intervals?
© PG Music Forums