PG Music Home
October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.
You've had this on offer for the PC elite literally for decades, still a complete no-show for the Mac suburbs smirk
Are you aware of any reason why Pitch Invasion should refuse to accept MIDI input from my keyboard?
MIDI goes to BIAB OK, but the Pitch Invasion auto-selects my sound card for input and won't accept the MIDI keyboard.

Build 842; Kawai MP6.

Thanks,
Gordon.

Edit: There's likely a clue in the Music Replay game, where selecting my keyboard give "The MIDI driver is not available". The keyboard is correctly controlling MIDI THRU of BIAB.
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Are you aware of any reason why Pitch Invasion should refuse to accept MIDI input from my keyboard?
MIDI goes to BIAB OK, but the Pitch Invasion auto-selects my sound card for input and won't accept the MIDI keyboard.

Build 842; Kawai MP6.

Thanks,
Gordon.

Edit: There's likely a clue in the Music Replay game, where selecting my keyboard give "The MIDI driver is not available". The keyboard is correctly controlling MIDI THRU of BIAB.

Windows does not allow more than one program to use a MIDI driver at a time. If the MIDI is being sent to BIAB, it will not be sent to any other program. If you close BIAB after opening Pitch Invasion, or you unselect the MIDI keyboard in BIAB, then it will work in Pitch Invasion.
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Windows does not allow more than one program to use a MIDI driver at a time. If the MIDI is being sent to BIAB, it will not be sent to any other program. If you close BIAB after opening Pitch Invasion, or you unselect the MIDI keyboard in BIAB, then it will work in Pitch Invasion.

That would do it, but one then has then to wonder why there's a launcher for Pitch Invasion from within BIAB if they can't be used together. I guess the same is true of the Music Replay game.

I don't use Windows much and I forget it has some of these quirks.

Thanks Simon.
You're welcome Gordon! I'm a Mac guy myself, so I'm also not used to these quirks.
© PG Music Forums