PG Music Home
Posted By: swingbabymix JAZZ STYLE - 10/07/21 11:24 PM
Do you often use JAZZ STYLE?
I personally think that this JAZZ style is very much in BB, but I rarely use it.
Jazz style is also difficult for him to integrate into other types of music.
I mainly use POP music style feel.

What is the music style you use most often?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 01:06 AM
Maybe Jazz practice ?
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 06:37 AM
Mostly I use Jazz styles. Without them, I would probably not be using BiaB at all.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 07:51 AM
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

I use many different styles in my music. Why should I restrict myself to only one type? Music is universal, and so are the musical styles.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 08:46 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I use many different styles in my music. Why should I restrict myself to only one type? Music is universal, and so are the musical styles.

I think there are too many jazz styles grin
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 08:58 AM
I use mostly jazz styles when I use styles. Sometimes I just choose individual RealTracks and make my own sound (which can be saved as a style).

BIAB started as a program to play jazz fake books, but over the last two decades I think they have made a terrific effort to balance the RealTracks and styles they add. For every time I read there is too much jazz, someone says there is too much country or too much rock guitar etc.

If you want to make suggestions for new sounds, just go to the Styles and RealTracks Wishlist Forum. For best results, give them a song link so they know what the sound is.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 09:40 AM
Look at JJazzLab it was made by Jazz guys same as Biab but they both have other styles, it's not ALL Jazz. I like all the genres Biab has I just move in a different way to them smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Same here.

Also the genres are not built in stone. I've used country styles in jazz and rock songs, jazz styles in country and rock songs, etc.

Explore various styles and have fun.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 12:42 PM
The set of styles I use the most are the BLANK styles.

BLANK styles do not have MIDI patterns, MIDI patch numbers, RealDrums, MIDI SuperTrack or RealTrack instrument assignments or loops.

BLANK styles do include time signature (3/4 or 4/4), feel (even or swing), key signature (C) and tempo.

Description: StylePicker with BLANK filter
Attached picture Clipboard41 Blank StylePicker.jpg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/08/21 10:04 PM
Jazz styles are really fun to play with! Music classes in school usually start with a focus on jazz or classical, and ours was the former many moons ago when I was in school still. I also like using the various rock styles!
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/09/21 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Jazz styles are really fun to play with! Music classes in school usually start with a focus on jazz or classical, and ours was the former many moons ago when I was in school still. I also like using the various rock styles!

Maybe I don't listen to jazz very much
I always think Jazz feels the same grin
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/09/21 06:01 AM
Haha - that's what I often think about Pop laugh
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/09/21 02:35 PM
I fully acknowledge the grin.

You may listen to more than you think. There are all kinds of jazz and fusion styles around. Some people say they hate jazz, but they think "trad jazz" is all there is, or "cool jazz".

The fact that you're experimenting with BiaB, suggests your mind is likely receptive to other music styles.

These may offer an insight into variation:
https://youtu.be/ItvpE5PCQk0
https://youtu.be/o5cELP06Mik
https://youtu.be/yp6JEdp6mZw
https://youtu.be/eE_D6Kve1SM
https://youtu.be/TDrzQwq8dz4
https://youtu.be/WhudDa3JAyc
https://youtu.be/KRLwsSbqlwo
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I fully acknowledge the grin.

You may listen to more than you think. There are all kinds of jazz and fusion styles around. Some people say they hate jazz, but they think "trad jazz" is all there is, or "cool jazz".

The fact that you're experimenting with BiaB, suggests your mind is likely receptive to other music styles.

I personally like these music very much. Good to hear.

However, if these songs are very different from many popular songs now.

Please note. I don't hate JAZZ music, I also like it very much, but I think it's almost the same. In fact, I prefer modern songs full of personality.

Now young people may prefer cooler music. Cool music, I don’t know if you can understand what I mean. Modern songs sound more vibrant. Happier, more suitable for dancing, more suitable for shooting short videos, more in line with modern trends.

The following songs are loved by young people all over the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09R8_2nJtjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=papuvlVeZg8

There are many examples of similar songs. These are the music that young people all over the world like now. In the car, in the shopping mall, any place is often heard. Cheerful! hapiness! modern!

However, when opening BIAB, you can clearly feel that BIAB's STYLE is mostly different from these. Maybe this is the style of BIAB? BIAB just likes to produce more JAZZ? This is suitable for more people to practice songs?
I don't know this, because the future direction is completely in the hands of the BIAB team.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 02:13 AM
These are the music that young people all over the world like now. In the car, in the shopping mall, any place is often heard. Cheerful! hapiness! modern! However, when opening BIAB, you can clearly feel that BIAB's STYLE is mostly different from these. Maybe this is the style of BIAB? BIAB just likes to produce more JAZZ? This is suitable for more people to practice songs?

Please understand that for many old people all over the world, music serves to help us come to terms with our impending deaths. We also find old-fashioned JAZZ music useful in stimulating digestion and promoting regularity.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
These are the music that young people all over the world like now. In the car, in the shopping mall, any place is often heard. Cheerful! hapiness! modern! However, when opening BIAB, you can clearly feel that BIAB's STYLE is mostly different from these. Maybe this is the style of BIAB? BIAB just likes to produce more JAZZ? This is suitable for more people to practice songs?

Please understand that for many old people all over the world, music serves to help us come to terms with our impending deaths. We also find old-fashioned JAZZ music useful in stimulating digestion and promoting regularity.

This is a very good thing. Everyone will get old, and I will get old slowly in the future.

But my mom and dad are 70 years old and they also like this kind of music. Not only do I like to listen, but I also dance with him, although we don't understand what he is singing, even I am Asian.

I suddenly had an idea. Is there a few more versions of BIAB?

BIAB senior version for old people

BIAB pop Version for Young People grin

I made a joke, grin
any form of music is the best gift of life.

I found another nice song, share it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyHvyGVs42U
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 02:44 AM
I made a joke, grin

Words fail.

I guess I at least need to clarify that my previous post was sarcastic.

Old people do not actually listen to JAZZ to help them poop.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I made a joke, grin

Words fail.

I guess I need to say that my previous post was sarcastic.

Old people do not actually listen to JAZZ to help them poop.

grin grin

I thought it was real.
But I found that reggae music is really good.
Reggae music makes me beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5irTX82olg

And this classic old song, I think it’s no problem to make it with BIAB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obi4iELWJ3Y
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 05:44 AM
swingbaby,

there are a couple of factors that shaped modern pop of these days, in particular:

• If you want to remember something new, you need a structure in which you can integrate that new thing (synapses). The more different synapses you already have for a specific topic, the easier you can remember new things of that topic. The average listener / the mass has built up a relatively low number of music-related synapses. Therefore the mass needs simple melodies and simple progressions to be able to adopt a song (this has almost always been the case, so this first factor is not very specific for nowadays). Only if the mass adopts a song, it becomes POPular => Pop
  • Within the last two decades, it became more and more difficult to find melodies that don't violate any copyright. So the music producers even more resign from distinctive melodies.
  • The internet made it easier to rip a high number of songs, so that more and more people refused to pay money for songs.
  • Digital music software with all those ready-to-use-loops made it easier for people with a low knowledge of music theory to produce songs, and social networks made it easier to distribute them. So from that side, the market has been flooded for a while, so that many people from the mass have built up synapses for that stuff, which was mostly made upon a low overall number of quite simple progressions.
  • Streaming platforms then made almost every professionally produced song cheap and very easily available, so that radio and TV don't generate a commonly shared knowledge of music anymore. And with tools like Spotify's Release Radar, people don't get out of their own music-clouds anymore. The lowest common denominator for a song to reach into the majority of these clouds is ... a low number of quite simple progressions.

This all more and more merged together then. So now, many professional music producers say to themselves: "Why making at least medium creative songs, if that takes quite long to do, enhances the risk for very expensive copyright lawsuits and will currently not be adopted by the mass as much as simpler songs - and that all while the mass would even prefer to do illegal things than to pay the small amount of one appropriate dollar per song?"

Even artists who perform relatively simple music, often don't listen to that genre privately. That counts not only for Pop Music, but e.g. also for some Rock musicians or some Country musicians.

Many people's usage of vocabulary like "Cool" derives more from what a person grew up with than from some objective criteria. And "Modern" is often not more than what the mass adopts currently, but doesn't automatically stand for a high degree of creativeness.

I agree on one thing: If PG wants more customers, it should get better known among younger people. That includes more styles etc. which the kids are used to (many of them? - well, at least superficially, since there are not sooo many essential differences between those songs, as explained above). But it also includes a couple of other critical aspects.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 07:27 AM
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
swingbaby,

there are a couple of factors that shaped modern pop of these days, in particular:

• If you want to remember something new, you need a structure in which you can integrate that new thing (synapses). The more different synapses you already have for a specific topic, the easier you can remember new things of that topic. The average listener / the mass has built up a relatively low number of music-related synapses. Therefore the mass needs simple melodies and simple progressions to be able to adopt a song (this has almost always been the case, so this first factor is not very specific for nowadays). Only if the mass adopts a song, it becomes POPular => Pop
  • Within the last two decades, it became more and more difficult to find melodies that don't violate any copyright. So the music producers even more resign from distinctive melodies.
  • The internet made it easier to rip a high number of songs, so that more and more people refused to pay money for songs.
  • Digital music software with all those ready-to-use-loops made it easier for people with a low knowledge of music theory to produce songs, and social networks made it easier to distribute them. So from that side, the market has been flooded for a while, so that many people from the mass have built up synapses for that stuff, which was mostly made upon a low overall number of quite simple progressions.
  • Streaming platforms then made almost every professionally produced song cheap and very easily available, so that radio and TV don't generate a commonly shared knowledge of music anymore. And with tools like Spotify's Release Radar, people don't get out of their own music-clouds anymore. The lowest common denominator for a song to reach into the majority of these clouds is ... a low number of quite simple progressions.

This all more and more merged together then. So now, many professional music producers say to themselves: "Why making at least medium creative songs, if that takes quite long to do, enhances the risk for very expensive copyright lawsuits and will currently not be adopted by the mass as much as simpler songs - and that all while the mass would even prefer to do illegal things than to pay the small amount of one appropriate dollar per song?"

Even artists who perform relatively simple music, often don't listen to that genre privately. That counts not only for Pop Music, but e.g. also for some Rock musicians or some Country musicians.

Many people's usage of vocabulary like "Cool" derives more from what a person grew up with than from some objective criteria. And "Modern" is often not more than what the mass adopts currently, but doesn't automatically stand for a high degree of creativeness.

I agree on one thing: If PG wants more customers, it should get better known among younger people. That includes more styles etc. which the kids are used to (many of them? - well, at least superficially, since there are not sooo many essential differences between those songs, as explained above). But it also includes a couple of other critical aspects.

In fact, I really like the reggae style music in BIAB.
But the drums in BIAB are not very good.

I replaced it with a more modern drum, which immediately felt modern.

That kind of Latin music is my favorite. They have many elements. It feels like dancing.

I recorded a video, take a look

Attached File
Replace drums02.mp4  (21 downloads)
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 09:08 AM
Sounds good!
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 09:10 AM
Sounds good!

grin grin grin grin grin grin
If you add a guitar, a saxophone, it will be better.
And this rhythm is suitable for RAP and also suitable for singing. grin
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 06:55 PM

... Which you are, of course, at liberty to do and many people here will likely do similar. The older people are likely to go for more natural sounding drums.

A large part of the reason for BiaB is to allow musicians to use a computer to substitute for other musicians they don't have right now. There seem little point in using software like that and then replace the more natural sounds with the ones we can find in loops or drum machines or synthesizers everywhere.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/10/21 10:21 PM

... Which you are, of course, at liberty to do and many people here will likely do similar. The older people are likely to go for more natural sounding drums.

A large part of the reason for BiaB is to allow musicians to use a computer to substitute for other musicians they don't have right now. There seem little point in using software like that and then replace the more natural sounds with the ones we can find in loops or drum machines or synthesizers everywhere.

Gordon Scott:

A friend told me that it's not the drum, it's different music.
My favorite drum actually belongs to reggaeton music
The drums in BIAB are real Reggae drums
They are very similar, but they are also different. Like you said, reggae is more natural
Reggaeton is harder and more modern
At present, many popular songs use reggaeton's drums
I hope BIAB will add some reggaeton drums in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKpcnHRlgk
Posted By: Keith44 Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/11/21 03:15 AM

Reply to Replace drums02.mp4

Sounds Like you only wanted to hear the drums - you could hardly hear the melody and other accompaniment in your 2nd version. Why not try a mix where both drums are at the hearable volume.

Keith
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/11/21 03:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith44

Sounds Like you only wanted to hear the drums - you could hardly hear the melody and other accompaniment in your 2nd version. Why not try a mix where both drums are at the hearable volume.

Keith

Yes, it was a little like: "Replace Everything Else with Drums"
I liked it musically - including the percussion, but the levels needed a little work.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/11/21 06:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith44

Keith

well. I'll try. The volume of the instrument is not adjusted
I believe the effect will be better after mixing. I keep trying grin
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/11/21 11:43 AM

Please note. I don't hate JAZZ music, I also like it very much, but I think it's almost the same. In fact, I prefer modern songs full of personality.

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune. I like a fair bit of modern pop music, but only in small amounts at any time, or I get bored. Far too many songs comprise what I describe as "shrill girls yodeling". Personally I find Country music too "samey", but there are many others who love it and struggle to see why I feel as I do. Again, I do like some Country music, just not too much of it. That wouldn't stop me using a country realtrack in a jazz composition.

I hadn't intended to suggest that you hated jazz. What I'd intended to mean was that sometimes, some people who think they don't like jazz, have a narrower than fair idea of what jazz is or can be.

For me, this video by the very outspoken Rick Beato is quite telling, and it covers only chords in modern music:
https://youtu.be/nuGt-ZG39cU

In fairness, this is perhaps more of a defence of the same:
https://youtu.be/d46gO5FUh-g
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/12/21 12:05 AM

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune. I like a fair bit of modern pop music, but only in small amounts at any time, or I get bored. Far too many songs comprise what I describe as "shrill girls yodeling". Personally I find Country music too "samey", but there are many others who love it and struggle to see why I feel as I do. Again, I do like some Country music, just not too much of it. That wouldn't stop me using a country realtrack in a jazz composition.

I hadn't intended to suggest that you hated jazz. What I'd intended to mean was that sometimes, some people who think they don't like jazz, have a narrower than fair idea of what jazz is or can be.

For me, this video by the very outspoken Rick Beato is quite telling, and it covers only chords in modern music:
https://youtu.be/nuGt-ZG39cU

In fairness, this is perhaps more of a defence of the same:
https://youtu.be/d46gO5FUh-g

Yes. totally agree.
My knowledge of JAZZ music is very superficial. I don’t know how to distinguish it. Anyway, when I hear the taste, I know it’s JAZZ.

I don't have time to study JAZZ.

In fact, I think music is a complex. I may place more emphasis on lyrics and singing.

As for whether it is four chords or two chords, I don't really care.

When I saw a scene or an event, I wanted to record it through music. I found four chords. I thought of the humming melody. It was OK, and I was done.

Why don't I just write text with pictures or take a video to record. Because I think music is more conducive to spreading, and singing it will enhance memory.

So, when it comes to music arrangement, this is not my strong point, and I don't have the energy to learn, I think it's almost enough. Currently, in my situation, Band in a box is my perfect companion grin
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/12/21 07:06 AM

My knowledge of JAZZ music is very superficial. I don’t know how to distinguish it. Anyway, when I hear the taste, I know it’s JAZZ.

I don't have time to study JAZZ.

I think most of us can relate to that, though one thing I've learned over many years is that I've been listening to jazz since the 70s, but didn't then realise that it was jazz. In the 60s and 70s, "jazz" by that name largely disappeared from the music scene, to be replaced by R&B and Progressive Rock, but when you look closer at those, quite a few were heavily jazz influenced ... that's where lots of jazz musicians went to earn money.

Back then I thought I didn't like jazz. But actually I was listening to jazz in the forms of progressive rock. I was a huge King Crimson fan, but it was years before I realised just how much they were jazz driven. By the 80s, jazz-funk and jazz fusions were appearing everywhere. Now I'm influenced more by African and Latin and their fusions.

Jazz largely grew out of The Blues in America, but it crossed the Atlantic, toured Europe, picked up quite a bit of Kletzmer. then went back to the US. It's been touring the world ever since.

In fact, I think music is a complex.

Music ranges from drone, though plainsong and Gregorian chant, to folk and blues to classical to Schoenberg and beyond. It's what you want it to be.

There's an expression that applies in lots of places, though is probably best known from aircraft testing: "pushing the envelope". It means reaching into the corners of what's expected. In a musical context, it's trying to find the unexpected. Perhaps a dissonance or "edge" that triggers an emotional response, perhaps an unusual rhythm.

Quite a lot of the "clever" stuff in jazz was found simply by people pushing for a little more tension, or indeed just playing a wrong note and thinking "wow, that sounded good". People play ahead of the beat to add a little "drive", or play a little behind the beat to make a more laid-back sound.

So I would say, be comfortable with what you do, but also embrace that envelope. Maybe allow the timing to be flexible, try the odd 7, 9, 11 or 13 or 6/9 chord and see what sounds you get. Try them flatted or sharpened. If you like the effect, keep it, if you don't, then remove it or change to another. You may find you get more "zing" in what you produce.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/12/21 07:22 AM

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune.

Gordon,

true, Autotune is also one of those factors. The simpler the music is that sells quite well, the less skills the artists need to have. Unfortunately, all these extreme simplifications in pop music even force highly-skilled musicians to hold back their abilities. Great singers use Autotune, just to match what the mass is currently used to; and talented composers mainly try to figure out how much complexity the mass might just accept, instead of regularly showing what they really have to offer. Best examples are Lady Gaga (fabulous with Tony Bennett) and Charlie Puth (brilliant with Jacob Collier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTa_gJkYwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bgCGjRt94
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: JAZZ STYLE - 10/12/21 10:54 AM

Gordon,

true, Autotune is also one of those factors. The simpler the music is that sells quite well, the less skills the artists need to have. Unfortunately, all these extreme simplifications in pop music even force highly-skilled musicians to hold back their abilities. Great singers use Autotune, just to match what the mass is currently used to; and talented composers mainly try to figure out how much complexity the mass might just accept, instead of regularly showing what they really have to offer. Best examples are Lady Gaga (fabulous with Tony Bennett) and Charlie Puth (brilliant with Jacob Collier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTa_gJkYwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bgCGjRt94

For sure, though my particular issue was with the aggressive auto-tune so often used. It was clever when Cher used it all those years ago, though personally I didn't like it then -- much less now that it's so universal.

Modest/subtle use of auto-tune is much less conspicuous and, if nothing else, helps to avoid countless takes and/or punch-ins.

Lady Gaga demonstrates very well that modern music can be special, though that particular song, of course, is a Cole Porter number from 1936.

I've have been a little harsh on modern music, too, because I think it actually is already coming out of that "stuck".

I think one of the other factors that have made so much music in the recent past so bland is the universal use of a video to go with it. Something to look at whilst listening means that the music can be less challenging.

The Puth/Collier link was interesting, partly as they're more adventurous and partly because they also think that modern music is already starting to collect forgotten influences, adapt and interpret them, and move on. These are two very talented young men! I note that they use modest-ish auto-tune.

I've seen so many answers to "how do you produce a song" that start with "well, first I lay down a kick track". And it's quantised, and it's compressed to death, and it's relentless.

I look forward to the time when new music again excites me. It's gradually getting there.
© PG Music Forums