PG Music Home
Posted By: PhillyJazz Holy Grail Laptop - 10/08/21 12:11 PM
I have been SO tired of Windows latency, and chasing down the best ASIO sound modules for years. I just pulled the trigger on a Microsoft Surface Studio mostly for the Thunderbolt support. I also bought an Antelope Zen Q sound module, which, though powerful, may end up being less than necessary.

I recorded this audio directly into BIAB with the INTERNAL mic of the Studio. Not a bad result (though I suspect I'll still get better results with a good mic and the Zen Q.)

Also, there is no noticeable latency using my Roland Aerophone AE-30 (USB C) as a controller, with just the native sound drivers (which works with WAS on BIAB perfectly.)

This is a sample of my alto recorded on the internal mic.

https://youtu.be/S7UIWkGxP44

Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/08/21 08:07 PM
Not a bad recording Philly! You're right that the internal mic does a pretty good job - there are maybe one or two spots I can notice where I think a better mic would help, just certain notes you hit where it seems to distort or fall off in a strange way - this is probably due to resonance from the mic being housed inside the Surface rather than in a purpose-built acoustic chamber (being the body of most microphones).

The higher end Microsoft Surface machines have been very popular with Band-in-a-Box users, and it seems this is for good reason.

Let us know how the Antelope works for you - I don't think I've seen any BIAB users with one yet, so I'd be interested to find out!
Posted By: lambada Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/09/21 07:16 AM
Nice. I wonder what the equivalent notebook is?
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/09/21 05:24 PM
This IS a notebook ... It's a redesign of the screen / hinge but it is in the Surface BOOK lineage.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/09/21 05:26 PM
Thanks.. This box has a far-field mic, I assume optimized for videoconferencing. I have to give Antelope a few weeks to get their Windows 11 act together. I guess the release came as a big surprise to them?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/11/21 07:25 PM
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
Thanks.. This box has a far-field mic, I assume optimized for videoconferencing. I have to give Antelope a few weeks to get their Windows 11 act together. I guess the release came as a big surprise to them?

Does the Antelope not work properly in Windows 11 yet? For what it's worth, my Focusrite worked perfectly in Windows 11 with Windows 10 drivers while I was doing some early Windows 11 testing.

The internal mic is likely optimized for communication, though it certainly does a decent job with your sax.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/13/21 11:31 AM
So far, it works fine with BIAB, but the Thunderbolt device is not seen as an audio choice by Windows (necessitating Voicemeeteras a shim.) I'd experienced latency issues with my Scarletts, and even the MOTU... both with audio and VSTs/MIDI The new Studio works fine even with native MME/WAS. Is your Scarlett Thunderbolt? That seems to be where the development lag is.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/13/21 12:40 PM
Here is a quick and dirty tune done with the Antelope and a Behringer B-5 mic. I did not do any real tweaking to speak of.. https://youtu.be/dUBDo5u65c8
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/13/21 03:37 PM
Wonderful recording Philly! The sax cuts through the mix really well here on account of the condenser mic - I'd personally use an EQ and take the top end down just a hair to warm it up a little, or use a dynamic mic like an SM57 if you have one. Most inexpensive condenser mics have a boost in the higher frequencies rather than having a flat response, and often need a little subtractive EQ to tame them. Honestly though this has given you some great results!
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/13/21 07:15 PM
Thanks.. I have an SM57 around. This was just handy. You're right that the high end diminishes the natural warmth. Still experimenting.

Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Holy Grail Laptop - 10/13/21 07:51 PM
Excellent! No insult to the Behringer, it's a great mic and handy if you really want to cut through. If you decide to try the '57 let us know here, but keep on experimenting though, that's the fun part!
© PG Music Forums