PG Music Home
Posted By: swingbabymix There are too few modern synths - 10/24/21 11:58 PM
Band in a box has been used for some time.
I mainly use BB VST. I will replace the drum with ujam drum
I found a problem. There are a lot of styles in band in a box, but most of the combination routines are bass, drum and guitar (sometimes 2 or 3 guitars)
I was wondering if the guitar would feel tacky with too many timbres, so I tried to replace it.
Because now many music has no guitar element, just synthesizer.
Sometimes when I remove some guitars and replace them with synth, I feel very modern.
Different rhythm will make the music feel different
Of course, I also like the combination of guitar and synth
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 09:11 AM
Hmmm.
Again, the main purpose of BiaB is to recreate the sound of real musicians playing real instruments.

The RealTracks in particular, are actual recordings of real musicians and real instruments, adjusted by software to match the pitch and timing of the chord progressions you define. There are MIDI data to go with these tracks, but that MIDI data is just an approximation to what the musician actually played, though it may well still help with what you want.

MIDI tracks and MIDI-Supertracks are intended to be actual MIDI and might better suit what you want, depending partly on whether the synth idea you have is polyphonic or a monophonic.

As far as synthesizer sounds go, there are countless synthesizers out on the 'Net that can be controlled by the MIDI you choose. In many ways, it's the "morphing" of the synthesis that sets its character, so controlling that is definitely (IMHO) a task for the producer, rather than a tool like BiaB.

Whether you use a software synthesizer or a physical synthesizer is probably personal preference.

I think, personally, that trying to include a rich set of moderns synthesizers into BiaB would, at best, be a never-ending process of "add a synth"; "it's too dated"; repeat.

I think you really need to find synthesizers on the 'Net' or from a hardware manufacturer to get the sounds you want, and then use BiaB's MIDI to control the notes and the DAW's automation to control any morphing. There are free software synthesizers out there, as well and a large number of commercial offerings.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 10:42 AM
There are 76 pages of free software synthesizers, at around 10 per page, here: https://vstwarehouse.com/software-synthesizer/
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 10:48 AM
SBMix.
with resperct your approaching this wrong imho.
you have a threadripper pc right.
ryzen will eat realband for breakfast.
try this method.
1. open realband (rb)...and config your asio interface.
2. layout your chords.
3. start auditioning midi styles.
4. when you find one you like , start right cliking over blank rb traks and gen midi bass/drum/synth traks whatever. at the same time plugging in modern sounding
sample player and/or synth plug ins. ive already given you links to loads of free plug ins.
5. work on your modern arrangement till you get it right.

THEN later you can do further tests adding real traks if you wish. THE KEY IS RIGHT CLIK OVER A RB FREE TRACK
AND YOULL SEE A BIG VERTICAL MENU. LOOK AT THE GENERATION OPTION...the beauty of rb is you have 48 traks.
also a tip LEARN BARS VIEW, very usefull for moveing around midi bars/arrange as you want.

best
om
Posted By: MarioD Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 02:49 PM
OM in all due respect there is nothing wrong with SBmix's approach. Note there is nothing wrong with your approach either.

I have done what SBmix has done. In fact in a song I will be posting soon I took a Celtic harp RT, used Melodyne to convert it to MIDI (the chart version of said RT was not correct), then used that MIDI track to control an orchestra harp. I have also used RTs converted to MIDI to control soft synths. Note that I did the conversions in my DAW Studio One Pro.

The bottom line is that there is usually more than one way to achieve your goals in BiaB, RealBand, and/or any other DAW.

YMMV
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 03:04 PM
With all due respect to both of you, I don't believe the OP is looking for this or any other kind of advice. He says, "I found a problem." That problem is too many guitars & too many Jazz styles, and "too few modern synths" & too few Pop styles. He knows how to fix it for himself, but he wants to be really clear that this is a serious problem with BIAB: it's just too old-fashioned.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 05:06 PM
define old fashioned..........maybe BIAB isn't the program you want if you want a different kind of music.

if it doesn't do what you want try something else. i have a martin d35. it's not a stratocaster but i'm not accusing martin guitars of being old fashioned. in fact i've got a strat clone for when i want it. both are guitars but i choose the right one for the right job. maybe BIAB isn't right for the OP.
Posted By: DrDan Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 05:16 PM
Exactly, what Bob said!

There are a huge number of music making applications other than BIAB. BIAB doesn't and shouldn't have to be all things to all people. crazy
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 05:51 PM
i just went thru the stylepicker useing the following filters. ultrapak 2020 no addons...
funk 665 results
rap 91 results
modern 687
pop 3,553
tek 68
electro 57
edm 27
synth 603

i still say rb is the appropriate pg app cos of all the
midi and plug in manipulation capabilities.
as to limited synth capabilities i disagree.
i have synth out the ying yangs includeing sforzando
and free synths i got like dune and loads of others.

i really think folks any music genre can be done in biab or rb. ITS ALL IN THE METHODS YOU USE.imho.
you can even start off with blank style in stylepicker and roll your own approach.

i really wonder if people saying biab and/or rb cant do certain moderrn styles//things have really delved into all the features of both at a deep level.
let me say in the past with styles ages ago i would have agreed with the too many old/jazz styles comment.
but in the last few years i really cant say that.

om
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
BIAB doesn't and shouldn't have to be all things to all people. crazy

I'd go further than that ... there are literally hundreds of synthesizers out there, each with dozens of parameters that can be tweaked either to get a specific sound, or to get morphing sounds.

I cannot see any way that an application like BiaB could, or should, sensibly even try to replicate the countless, tending towards infinity, sounds and morphs that can be produced. It would, IMHO, be crazy even to try.

BiaB will send MIDI to a synthesizer.
Use a synthesizer.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 06:46 PM
Yes MIDI, as said audio is one type of sound that you can't change but only add FX to but with MidiSuperTracks or MidiUserTracks the sound can be unique and infinitely variable.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 07:02 PM
Save the Biab song to SGU
Open SGU in JJazzLab
Select a style https://psrtutorial.com/styles/PSR-SX900%20Styles/Dance.zip
Export to Midi
Import Biab

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-sx900.html

Attached picture Key-Styles-Dance.png
Attached picture JJazzLab-2-Bar.png
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 09:05 PM

Pipelineļ¼š

This is very interesting. There are a lot of styles in Yamaha, Korg and ketron arranger keyboards
Can you use BIAB to open these styles?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 10:34 PM
Rename TurkishEuro.T152.prs or TurkishEuro.T152.sty to
TurkishEuro.T152.prs.mid

File > StyleMaker > StyleWizard

The midi file will have section markers, you should be able to make a MultiStyle with the A B C D parts.

Attached picture Key-Style-Markers.png
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/25/21 11:27 PM
Pipelineļ¼š

I opened Yamaha's style file with band in a box
But it feels messy.

my video:

https://ufile.io/lucpabak
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 01:03 AM
Try this:
Full Screen

Full Screen

Attached File
BB21-Midi-StyleWizard.gif  (171 downloads)
Attached File
BB21-Midi-StyleWizard2.gif  (169 downloads)
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 08:01 AM
I don't understand cry
Posted By: Kevin Woolley Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 02:54 PM
I never even knew this existed. Quite useful. It really needs an XG soundfont or soundsource to sound really good though.

Kevin smile
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 03:09 PM
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309685

The keyboard style midi file will have Midi Section Markers
Open the midi file in the Style Wizard
Set the A section
Set the B section
Set A Fill
Set B Fill
Set what instruments go on each track

The Lyrics window will show the Midi Marker Sections

Then "Generate NEW style..."

Attached picture BB21-StyleWizard.png
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 03:54 PM
I don't know how you create the MultiStyles+ ?
If I Edit the current Midi MultiStyle I can't see the C D sections.
And can't see how to add Endings in the StyleWizard ?
May have to ask in the Beginners Forum.

Attached picture BB21-MultiStyle.png
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/26/21 04:00 PM
These might be better ways
MidiUserTracks
UserTrack Holds Finally
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 01:53 AM
When I open open song in jjazzlab, it will get stuck. Have you met it?

https://ufile.io/958azv31
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 03:14 AM
See

Full Screen

Attached File
JJazzLab-BB-Song.gif  (122 downloads)
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 03:33 AM
The first time you open it's slow.

Full Screen

Attached File
JJazzLab-Song.gif  (124 downloads)
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
The first time you open it's slow.

Full Screen

first opne song very slow is bug?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 11:34 AM
<< I don't know how you create the MultiStyles+ ? >>

There are two types of user created MultiStyles. One as a Master MultiStyle and the second is to create a song specific style that are saved as sub-styles to the BIAB working Style in the Chord Sheet and are associated to the BIAB Style name.

It appears you want to create the Master Styles version rather than the song specific version.

Using the Style Wizard, with seven sections, create and save 3 styles with A/B and drum fills, then create and save a single style with just A and fills and rebuild so these styles are searchable in the StylePicker.

Then create a new MultiStyle using the styles you created from the Style Wizard.

I haven't tried to do this process and can't guarantee it works since the tutorial shows creating MultiStyles using existing BIAB Styles. Each Style can be loaded as a standalone style or as a component of the main MultiStyle.

Good luck with it. I'm following to see how it turns out.

Charlie
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/27/21 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
..first open song very slow is bug?

It only seem to be the first run on the application.
Did you get it to work ??

Attached picture JJazzLab-Start.gif
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/28/21 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
..first open song very slow is bug?

It only seem to be the first run on the application.
Did you get it to work ??

Yes, work.
But the first time I opened it was very slow and uncomfortable.
I think they say 3.0 is coming out soon and supports MIDI drag and drop.
Jjazz lab can open Yamaha's style, which is very good.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/28/21 05:00 AM
I found the MultiStyle info in the manual of all places.
I got that worked out but it's not hiding the substyles in the list like with the PG MultiStyles.

The other issue it's not importing the patch correctly and leaving channels out in the pic ch 5 & 11,
see the Reaper tracks below.

Attached picture BB21-Substyle-Hide01.png
Attached picture BB21-Substyle-Hide02.png
Attached picture BB21-StyleWizard-Import.png
Attached File
ClubHouse.T551.mid  (0 downloads)
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/28/21 09:05 AM
Listen to some modern examples that can be achieved
Select the 'TWENTY FIVE Audio Demos' tag on the above page.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/29/21 12:31 AM
I found the MultiStyle info in the manual of all places.
I got that worked out but it's not hiding the substyles in the list like with the PG MultiStyles.

The other issue it's not importing the patch correctly and leaving channels out in the pic ch 5 & 11,
see the Reaper tracks below.

I don't understand what you mean.
According to your post, I know jjazzlab, and then jjazzlab can open Yamaha's style. I tried and encountered some problems, such as slow opening and poor use
Then you began to say that BIAB opened Yamaha's style, and I was confused later grin
Posted By: Pipeline Re: There are too few modern synths - 10/29/21 02:34 AM
There are too many problems making Yamaha Styles into PG STY.
MidiUserTracks is a better way:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679899#Post679899
© PG Music Forums