PG Music Home
Posted By: BackingTrack Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 07:09 PM
Greetings. Will be making my first purchase of BIAB. Will start with 2022 Pro and then likely upgrade to 2022 UltraPak at the awesome sale price. I wish to use the download method.

Is there a best practice strategy for downloading? I do want to keep a copy of all the installation files for safety backup on an external HD and also to use those to install on a second computer which PG tells me is OK for non simultaneous use.

Is there any special advice on how to proceed with the download? Overnight for the upgrade? Use of a download manager? Way to keep all the downloaded files? Anything that I might not have asked?

Thanks so much for all your great thoughts in advance!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 07:37 PM
PG Music has a download manager. PG Music creates a unique to you download URL based on your purchase. Copy the URL into the download manager. The download manager will then download and install the files you purchased.

The downloaded files are stored at C:\BBDownloads unless you point the Download Manager to a different storage location.

I've added a screen shot of the Download Manager screen below.

Also, as a first time buyer understand there is a huge jump in included content between the ProPAK and the PlusPAK. The ProPAK has about 1/10th of the content available with the PlusPAK. For comparison the next level up, the MegaPAK has about 1/3rd the content included with the PlusPAK.

I'm not trying to discourage you from purchasing the ProPAK. I started with the ProPAK and stayed at that level for two years. I concentrated on learning Band-in-a-Box and RealBand as best I could while saving up my money to upgrade to the PlusPAK.

Description: PG Music Download Manager
Attached picture Clipboard72 PG Music Download Manager.jpg
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 08:02 PM
Initially I downloaded the individual file packages, then installed them onto my two machines in batches, partly because both machines were tight on disc space and I wanted to select what I'd use from what I probably wouldn't, partly because I wanted a safe copy.

I changed discs in both machines and they now have more space.

Doing it again now, I would let the download manager do all the downloads and installs, then just copy the whole /bb file tree across to the second machine. It can take some time either way, even with a reasonably quick connection, but it's so much easier with the download manager.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Good advice above. Note that the company has a new download manager this year.
Posted By: BackingTrack Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 08:52 PM
Thanks Jim and Gordon.

Jim, the reason why I am getting Pro first is that with the current sale, PG lets you first buy this and then upgrade to UltraPak at anytime within 30 days for their sale. Acquiring UltraPak this way saves you $191 over the price of UltraPak all in one go and the Chat folks assure me this is just fine and yes it will save me significant money

Gordon, if I download the files using the DL manager, will it automatically install for me or will I need to launch an install file within the downloaded files? I am hoping that it will NOT automatically install and let me do that manually. That way I will have a clean set of all install files that I can keep safe on a physical external hard drive, not only for a safety backup, but also to launch an install on my other computer if needed. Thanks for any clarification on the download manager functioning.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 09:59 PM
The download manager is designed to automate a first time installation or upgrade. So the download and install steps are combined into one button.

If you're purchasing from PG Music, you'll need to create an online account. The online account will include the individual files you purchased available for download. I posted a screen shot from my account to give you a visual of what I'm saying.

Attached picture Clipboard79 Online Product.jpg
Posted By: BackingTrack Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 10:25 PM
Jim, super helpful! Thank you for the time you have spent. After the advice from you all and chats with PG, I think I have my process down now and will start.

I am going to purchase and put all files in C:\bb. Then run the installers from there. Then make a complete copy of C:\bb to an external hard drive to act as an installer and data safety back up. PG tells me that everything from C:\bb will contain the whole package as an emergency back up and to use if I want to load onto a second computer. They say that what is in C:\bb will be the whole installer + Data package.

I did find an article at PG that actually recommended a third party DL manager which I will use. I already have and am familiar with Jdownloader which I have found to work really well and PG itself says that this will be faster and better. That surprised me!

I have been really impressed with this community so far with all the help willingly given to newbies and am very appreciative.

Well here we go...................! smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 10:31 PM
Let us know when the downloads are finished and everything is installed.
Posted By: BackingTrack Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/01/21 10:32 PM
Yowsa!
Hi BackingTrack,

I know there are third party download managers mentioned in some tutorial, however as of a few days ago we now have our own Download and Install manager, which is better since it downloads AND installs all the files, making it pretty close to a one-click install.

If you will be downloading an UltraPAK, the main thing is to double-check that you have enough space on your hard disk for your download folder, and for your Band-in-a-Box install folder. They don't need to be on the same disk. For example, you could have your download folder on an external drive G:\BBDownloads\2022, and have Band-in-a-Box installed to C:\bb

Once you have sorted that out, start the Download and Install, and I suggest that you wait around for the Band-in-a-Box program installer to download. This installer file requires you to agree to a license and click through the setup wizard, the rest of them do not require you to do anything.

Once you have clicked through the Band-in-a-Box setup, and the downloads are on there way, you should be able to walk away and let it do it's thing.

You can do anything you want with your BBDownloads folder - back it up to a different drive etc.
Posted By: BackingTrack Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/02/21 12:18 AM
Ahhh Andrew now THAT was exactly what I was trying to understand. Thank you for being so clear. Finally now I understand as you stated. The download area is separate from the install area and yes, you can copy that download folder off to anyplace you like, leaving the install folder with all the installed programs and their data.

Now THAT is making sense. I picked this up also by an article on the PG site that just happened to mention a download folder as C:\BBDownloads as distinctly different from C:\bb which is the usual installation folder, which let me know, yep, you can download to one folder and then install the program to the usual C:\bb site.

GOT IT. I appreciate your chiming in.
Posted By: BackingTrack Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/02/21 01:37 AM
Whoa!!! Up and running and improvising right out of the box so to speak with a smooth jazz realband demo song loaded into the chord sheet. What a start. Happy camper here.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/02/21 06:32 AM
FYI...

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
This installer file requires you to agree to a license and click through the setup wizard, the rest of them do not require you to do anything.

That's more significant that it may sound. If you install them individually of in batches, you have to enter the license code every time. And there are lots of them! :-)
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/02/21 08:09 AM
Folks, if you are concerned about downloading - how about setting up your computer to do the install in the evening? Retire - then you can see how it turns out in the morning.

No awake waiting...

...Deb
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Request for downloadibg strategy - 12/02/21 10:59 AM
Used the download manager it was seamless. I have an extremely fast 1 gig connection so timewise it was just a few minutes, but install worked great and I didn't have to do anything but tell it where I wanted it to go, basically. I highly recommend this. It is easy to see what it is doing and make sure you got everything this way as well.
© PG Music Forums