PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul midi patches all the same - 12/10/21 03:05 AM
Hello
bb 2022 build 908

Scenario

import chords from midi file to get the basic chords whole midi goes to melody track.

Then go to windows folder ,select the same midi file and drag and drop into bb main window.
message comes up "do you want to import into your current song.
choose yes.
(this is so i have individual tracks of midi.)
then i get the source track to destination track window option.
(image) leave everything as default accept and ok.
bb has now added all the individual tracks to utility tracks.
In the patches column in the mixer it shows the patch names
which are correct but when played all the instruments play
the same patch even the drums.if i change the patch on any utility track it changes all utility tracks to the same patch.
the melody track plays the original patches as it should.

Im sure i used this method in the past and the utility tracks retained the original midi patches.

Can anyone advise me if i am doing things right .
midi drivers are all set to how i have always used them.
As i mentioned midi plays normal on the melody track with correct patches.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached File
midi drag drop.jpg  (9 downloads)
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: midi patches all the same - 12/10/21 07:58 AM
paulpaul,

thanks for also reporting this, since my two threads about Midi import bugs seem to be ignored for some reason. I guess everyone at PG is busy atm with beeing excited of the new features :-)
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: midi patches all the same - 12/10/21 08:09 AM
paulpaul,

and btw: Thanks for the description in regard to drag and drop midi file into BiaB!
I was looking exactly for a way to conveniently import all midi tracks onto the utility tracks (well, at least if the midi patches would work correctly then, for sure).
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 05:35 AM
bb2022 build 912

hello.
Just another plea for help on this post.
ive tried all cobinations of drivers and nothing works.

what i cant understand is,that bb recognises the midi patches on the melody track and plays correctly but the utility tracks although show the correct patches do not play correct patches, they all play the same patch.

tried support but its been a week now and no response.

any help please.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 08:45 AM
try opening the file in RealBand which will automatically split instruments to different tracks. save as a BIAB file (sgu or mgu) and then open in BIAB.
might work - i know it's cumbersome but might be a workaround until the new BIAB patches fix the problem.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 12:36 PM
Could this be an inadvertently created .wav being loaded?

I can't fully remember the rules, but a .wav track in the same directory as the .SGU/.MGU can automatically be imported as audio. IIRC it's if it's the same name as the SGU/MGU.
Posted By: DrDan Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 12:46 PM
PP can you send us pictures of your midi file in BIAB similar to these which describe all the relavent midi channel and synth patch settings. Or upload you midi file?

Attached picture Capture1.JPG
Attached picture Capture2.JPG
Attached picture Capture4.JPG
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 02:52 PM
Dan.

Here are the images.

The thing is the last image you requested is showing the events for the melody track which includes the whole song.
I dont know how to get the midi events up for the utility tracks.

what i want is to drag a midi file from any windows folder on to the bb main window which opens all the separate midi tracks onto individual udility tracks and thats when all the patches play the same patch even though the patches in the mixer show the correct patches.
i dont have a problem loading midi onto the melody track.

Attached File
midi channels.jpg  (6 downloads)
Attached File
default synth.jpg  (4 downloads)
Attached File
edit melody.jpg  (5 downloads)
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 02:53 PM
Gordon.
No,its 100% midi.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 02:57 PM
Bob.
thanks for info.
Midi drags into real band with correct patches no problem.
when i try to save the tracks as bb onto utility tracks in real band i get error message saying i need a later version of bb.
im running bb 2022 and build 912.
thanks anyway.
Posted By: DrDan Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: paulpaul
Dan.

Here are the images.

The thing is the last image you requested is showing the events for the melody track which includes the whole song.
I dont know how to get the midi events up for the utility tracks.

what i want is to drag a midi file from any windows folder on to the bb main window which opens all the separate midi tracks onto individual udility tracks and thats when all the patches play the same patch even though the patches in the mixer show the correct patches.
i dont have a problem loading midi onto the melody track.

Can you upload the midi file? And BTW, you get points for being able to provide all those images. Lets see if we can find where the utility tracks get sent.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 05:14 PM
Dan
heres the midi file.
I get the same problem with al my midi files.

Attached File
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 07:34 PM
are you saving the file as a sgu or mgu in the save as dialogue and then closing? once closed can you open it in BIAB? i'm not sure what you mean by 'saving onto utility tracks'.

i rarely use BIAB for anything other than roughing out a song but would have thought if you use RB to save yuor project as a BIAB file, then close, when you open it with BIAB, BIAB should sort out where it puts the midi parts.

but as i say, i don't use BIAB much, i do most work in RB. maybe a BIAB expert can help but if you were trying to load from RB into BIAB without saving and closing the file i am not sure what would happen.
Posted By: DrDan Re: midi patches all the same - 12/16/21 08:01 PM
IF you drag and drop a .mid file on top of BIAB it will ask if you want to load as new or combine with current. When you load as new, it will allow you to set all the midi tracks to the Utility tracks.

A quick checks shows all the midi tracks are sent to Midi Channel 0. I would guess that would make all the tracks play the same patch? So the trick now is to find where to assign all the tracks to different midi channels.

Attached picture Capture1.JPG
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 02:07 AM
bob, thanks for input.
real band wont let me save to utility tracks although the option does come up when trying to save.
when i click save i get error message and real band freezes and i have to click escape.

see images.

Attached File
real band utility.jpg  (6 downloads)
Attached File
real band error.jpg  (5 downloads)
Posted By: paulpaul Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 02:09 AM
Dan.
thanks for your time and effort ,not sure what i do now.
im still waiting for response from pg support.
thanks again.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 07:03 AM
does seem like a bug - i can recreate in 2021 - maybe individual midi files for each track might work

or stick with RB - i can't think of what you can't do in RB that you could in BIAB
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
does seem like a bug - i can recreate in 2021 - maybe individual midi files for each track might work

Bob, is that definitely 2021 or the 2022 version?
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 02:31 PM
2021 so its an old bug!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 02:33 PM
Thanks for clarifying. It must have been around for a while then.
Posted By: DrDan Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 04:27 PM
So I went back to the well. Used another MIDI demo from BIAB. This time I used the default Internal Synthfont64 for midi which included a Sax on the Soloist and sent the Melodist to Kontack for electric Guitar. Notice no untility tracks used this time. Although I felt like I was walking on egg shells, it actualy did not crash and sounded darn nice at the end. So it can be done. However, I am so much more confortable doing this in Reaper.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: midi patches all the same - 12/17/21 06:48 PM
i feel the same musicstudent - once i had the file in RB (as opposed to reaper) i'd work on it there as BIAB doesn't do anything - as far as i know - i can't do in RB but i know some people prefer to work entirely in BIAB
© PG Music Forums