PG Music Home
Posted By: Funkifized Changing styles within a song... - 12/23/21 07:45 PM
I'm doing practice tracks for my students. The examples are 8 measures long. I do a hold on the last chord, include an extra measure of silence, then drum fill to start the next example.

What I decided to do is the change the style for the next example. I'm using Bar Settings to change the key, but decided to change the Style, too. I went from a Rock style _ROCKAAH.STY and then put in the Bar Settings to change to a reggae style, THRDWRLD.STY. When it plays, the style changes in the style box, but the instrumentation doesn't change in the mixer at all. All instruments drop out except the melody and the drums. I can't tell if the drums have change appropriately to the new style, and nothing else changes.

I tried saving the file, closing BIAB, and re-opening in BIAB, but no change. What to do?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/23/21 08:28 PM
<< What to do? >>

Choose another style that's a RealStyle rather than a Midi Style or a Midi style rather than a RealStyle. Rockaah.sty is a RealStyle and Thrdwrld.sty is a Midi style. It must be one or the other to do what you're attempting.

Charlie
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/23/21 09:23 PM
Well, that's not ideal. Use that something that PG Music is likely to change in a future update? What if I use a style that incorporate Real Tracks *and* MIDI tracks?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/23/21 10:41 PM
<< What if I use a style that incorporate Real Tracks *and* MIDI tracks? >>

That does not pose a problem as long as there's no style change.
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/24/21 02:08 AM
So if I create a BIAB Real Track with a melody, I can't change the style? The melody is, by definition, a MIDI file. How does that work? If the first part off the track is a Real Track and I try to change styles in the middle of the tune, the MIDI tracks won't play?

What a waste of functionality.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/25/21 12:11 PM
Why not create the first 8 bar example,export to wav, change style on the 8 bar chord chart, export to wav again and repeat, then paste all the wavs together in RB.

That achieves what you want and is not too labour intensive. But with so many styles to choose from sticking to midi or rt styles shouldn't be too limiting for practice tracks.
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/28/21 03:41 PM
Well, I want to change styles to make the examples interesting for the student. I also want to use Real Styles to make the tunes more interesting, so that they feel like they're playing with a band, rather than cheesy MIDI styles. Some MIDI styles are fairly well done, but having the real guitar in there makes the difference(these are guitar students, mostly).

The example was from a reggae style. Not many of those in Real Styles.
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/28/21 03:43 PM
The big thing here being that as soon as I enter a melody into a Real Tracks style, the functionality of changing the style in the middle of the song is lost, as the melody can only be MIDI. That's a big misnomer in the functionality.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Changing styles within a song... - 12/28/21 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
The big thing here being that as soon as I enter a melody into a Real Tracks style, the functionality of changing the style in the middle of the song is lost, as the melody can only be MIDI. That's a big misnomer in the functionality.

I had no trouble having a midi melody in a RealTrack Style, changing the style in the middle of the song. The midi melody remained intact throughout the complete song. I used jazzfred and spynoir RealStyles in the demo.

The only time I believe there will be an issue is to attempt mixing a midi style and RealTracks style.

Excuse the mix on the demo song. I didn't take time to adjust any levels between the two styles.

Description: RealTrack Style Changes with Midi Melody.
Attached picture RealTrack Style Changes with Midi Melody.jpg

Description: Afternoon Tea, BIAB Demo
Attached File
Afternoon Tea.m4a  (2 downloads)
© PG Music Forums