PG Music Home
PG Music released a new YouTube video called +++ Producer Secrets - Mixing Drum Stems +++. I watched it and was VERY impressed as I believe it is likely one of the most instructive videos PG Music has ever produced. I hope you'll use this thread to share your thoughts.

Some of you likely are experienced mixers but mixing is a new skill to me. This video is the first time I've seen someone use stock PG Music effects and explain the controls.

I think the video is going to be eye opening to users new to mixing. I hope this video truly is the first in a long series of PG Music Producer Secrets videos.
Yes, I especially appreciated the section on the use of the PG Dynamics Processor... I normally use a different Plug-in, but it's all applicable.
Excellent Video.
The production has a different "feel" than past videos. What does anyone think of the Side Note?
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The production has a different "feel" than past videos. What does anyone think of the Side Note?
The "Side Note" is a nice touch... The main thing I like about the Video, is the lack of Distracting Background Music.
It's an excellent walkthroug for mixing. If interested on a great wealth of knowledge on mixing and mastering, reaper provides docens of video tutorials on the subject based on their products, although the priciples behind are applicable to any corresponding plugin. Covers reverb, compression, limiters, gates, eq, and many more topics... They are really eye openers...
Thanks for pointing tis new vid out Jim. It definitely is well done and contains a wealth of info. Hope there are more to follow.

Jeff
A really well done and well explained video. I like the side-notes, but even better is the index (on YouTube) that allows quick navigation and the ability to skip stuff that's not relevant to the viewer at the time.

I think gates and compressors are the Devil's work, though. I can hear them sucking and blowing on the sound through most of this video.
Gordon, my guess is the instructor used extreme settings so the untrained ear can hear the difference.

My ear is not trained, and is somewhat deficient, so I did not hear the sucking and blowing but I don't doubt that both effects are there. smile

I think an important point to consider is all the tools used in this video are stock and available to anyone using Band-in-a-Box. As AVC pointed out, every DAW that I know of includes a decent set of stock effects. Also you can customize your studio with free or paid third party effects. But you may not need them!

I believe with this video PG Music is starting to present the idea that you don't have to go outside Band-in-a-Box to produce audio; Band-in-a-Box can be ab all-in-one solution if you're willing to learn the tools it offers. Now I can think of arguments both in support and opposition to the idea but I think the idea itself is valid.
I think the video itself is probably the best I've seen from them.
© PG Music Forums