PG Music Home
I have brought this up previously, but it is still an issue. It's been a problem since the first 2022 release and continues to be with Build 914.

With normal MIDI tracks, the Utility Tracks don't seem to transpose, as the RealTracks do, when you change the Key of a song. I can't even locate a place to manually transpose the MIDI Utility Tracks.

I would like to be able to move/split off tracks from the Melody Track to various Utility Tracks, but not being able to change keys makes this pretty useless to me.

Any workarounds? Is this issue going to be addressed?

Thanks!
Hi, I've made a quick test and transposing MIDI utility tracks is working properly for me.

Could you please offer more details about the exact steps you're following, so other users can try to replicate the problem?
Just checked this out;
1. Making a new song in C, entered the notes of that scale in Utility Trk1.
Then changed key to D using "Transpose and Set Key Signature" on the drop
down menu. Accompaniment tracks changed but UT1 remained in C. Tried
various times with random key changes, same result.
2. Tried with a file I made about a week ago that included a couple of MIDI
UTs. Again tht accompaniment track changed but UT remained in original
key.

Vintage
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
Just checked this out;
1. Making a new song in C, entered the notes of that scale in Utility Trk1.
Then changed key to D using "Transpose and Set Key Signature" on the drop
down menu. Accompaniment tracks changed but UT1 remained in C. Tried
various times with random key changes, same result.
2. Tried with a file I made about a week ago that included a couple of MIDI
UTs. Again tht accompaniment track changed but UT remained in original
key.

Vintage

Yes, confirmed (I was using custom MIDI styles for utility track, not melody tracks), thanks, I'll report this.

Once they are copied to Util tracks they don't conform.
You need to right click in the Piano Roll > Select All Notes, hold shift and drag up/down semitones.
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Once they are copied to Util tracks they don't conform.
You need to right click in the Piano Roll > Select All Notes, hold shift and drag up/down semitones.

That works for the moment. Although it's kind of cumbersome when you have eight or so tracks to transpose. Especially if you neeed to do it multiple times.

Until they get this fixed (that is, if they do...), I'll probably leave the channels on the Melody Track and mix and adjust them using TTS-1 synth controls. Kind of makes the Utility Tracks useless, for this purpose anyway.

Thanks Pipeline!
But, according to the first 3 lines of the new features page (https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm),

'Version 2022 includes many major new features. First off, "All Tracks are Equal." All 24 tracks have the same capabilities, including styles and generation.'
Yes, transposing MIDI melodies should definitely work in Utility tracks when this option is off:

In fact, if you transpose a song with a MIDI melody in an utility track, you'll get this info box:

But but in spite of this, the melody is actually not transposed.

The issue is already reported, but unfortunately, PGMusic rarely give any feedback about reported bugs, so we can only hope that the problem will get fixed soon.

Attached picture avoid transpositions.png
Attached picture Transposition.png
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
But, according to the first 3 lines of the new features page (https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm),

'Version 2022 includes many major new features. First off, "All Tracks are Equal." All 24 tracks have the same capabilities, including styles and generation.'

Hmm... Sarcastic I'm, guessing

There are many other places where Utility Tracks are also not equal, including Bar Settings, Notation Events editing, Piano Roll events editing, etc. but hopefully it's their goal to make their statement true. smile
Originally Posted By: Thunderthud
There are many other places where Utility Tracks are also not equal, including Bar Settings, Notation Events editing, Piano Roll events editing, etc. but hopefully it's their goal to make their statement true. smile

Hmm...Optimistic I'm guessing. grin
It can be made easier, even snap to chord notes:

Attached picture Reaper-Transpose-Midi-Notes.png
Just loaded Build 418, unfortunately no fix for this issue.

Vintage
I'll report it. You can use this:

Attached picture BB22-Transpose-Midi.png
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
Just loaded Build 418, unfortunately no fix for this issue.

Vintage
Build 418? or 918?
Oops! 918
Should've gone to Specsavers. (tag-line from a UK ad campaign)

@ Pipeline, thanks for that, never noticed it before.

Vintage
© PG Music Forums