PG Music Home
Posted By: Gordon Scott F5 Mute - 01/25/22 11:51 AM
Hi all,

I quite often mute most instruments from bar 1 to manage an into and I keep finding that there's a note played on the melody track right at the start of that bar 1. The melody is there, but I don't want it playing yet. Is there a convention on how to deal with this?

I can delete the melody notes, of course, though at present I'm trying to keep the constituents of the song intact until I'm ready to move a basis to the DAW.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: F5 Mute - 01/25/22 01:12 PM
Control of Bar 1 things can sometimes be a bit interesting.

If mute on bar 1 doesn't work, can you set the volume to zero or apply another method?

Perhaps do this with the notation editor or piano roll? (I'm presuming the melody is MIDI)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Mute - 01/25/22 01:42 PM
Sometimes Bar 1 can be a challenge. Perhaps add an empty bar in front?
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: F5 Mute - 01/25/22 02:59 PM
Yes, MIDI melody.

One thought I've had for a while is simply to drop the built-in count-ins and roll my own. Then I can mute the MIDI melody before it starts. That also deals with the issue of handling an anacrusis.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: F5 Mute - 01/25/22 03:36 PM
Hmm ... that idea fell at the first hurdle ... inserting two bars for a count-in didn't move the utility tracks by the two bars, so everythings misaligned.

Reverted, though it appears to have copied the bar text(?) into every other bar, so I now have 42 "Intro"s. Ho Hum. Quit the program and restarted it.

Looked to copy the entire song by two bars, but that too does not copy/move the utility tracks.

Obviously it's better to start out like that than try to change.
Oh dear ... try to regenerate Utility but lose the octave shift, can't set octave shift on a utility track. OK. Time out. Try again another time.
Posted By: DrDan Re: F5 Mute - 01/26/22 01:42 PM
Quote:
Control of Bar 1 things can sometimes be a bit interesting.

Quote:
Bar 1 can be a challenge.

Just tried to do a style change (F5) at bar 1 for chorus 1. Then a style change (F5) at bar 1 for chorus 2. Then ending with a style change (F5) at bar 1 for chorus 3 back to original style. A total mess! My immediate thought was, didn't I just read something about this in the forum... So here I am. grin

Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: F5 Mute - 01/26/22 04:21 PM
FWIW, I tend to make my changes a bar before the chorus.

I guess this is the jazz thing ... we tend often to, e.g, just play a very simple line or even single note/chord in the final bar, so the next soloist can come in with their own pick-up for their solo.
© PG Music Forums