PG Music Home
Posted By: Lazy Bird 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 01:09 PM
Hello,

How do I enter 4-beat bars in a waltz in Band in a Box?

Take for example "The Accordionist" sung by Edith Piaf: the piece begins with 10 bars at 3 beats, then continues with 12 bars at 4 beats, before continuing for 35 bars at 3 beats.

If, at bar 11, I go to Bar Settings, #Beats this bar, and enter 4, the bar displayed by Band in a Box remains at 3 beats. And it remains in 3 beats even if, still at bar 11, I also choose to replace the waltz style with a 4 beat style.

Do you have an idea for a solution?

Here is a view of the beginning of the score:
https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/fr-FR/se/ID_No/57577/Product.aspx
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 01:26 PM
This is a little peculiarity of BIAB. You have half the solution: a 4-beat style. The other half is to begin the song with a measure of 4/4. This measure can be silent by using F5 and Muting all instruments (then Back to Normal in measure 2). Try that.
Posted By: DrDan Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 01:35 PM
This is one of those secret tricks which comes up over the years grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
This is one of those secret tricks which comes up over the years grin

But only after a ton of frustration mad
Posted By: Lazy Bird Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 04:14 PM
Thanks Matt for the idea of using a 4-beat style.

I found a 4-beat style well suited for the 4-beat part of the song (_HOTJAVA.STY), then I selected 3-beat setting at bar 1, 4-beat setting at bar 11 and again 3-beat setting at bar 23.

It works well: BiaB changes the number of beats of the bars at the right moment, the style adapts rather well to 3-beat parts, and the arrangement is globally correct.

The only downside that I haven't been able to fix so far: the drum kick before the start of the song is still in 4 beats ... but that's a minor issue ;-) !
Posted By: DrDan Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Lazy Bird
The only downside that I haven't been able to fix so far: the drum kick before the start of the song is still in 4 beats ... but that's a minor issue ;-) !

Bingo, wish I had a quarter for every time this one come up. grin
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 04:27 PM
Very good. And that is a known annoyance about the 4/4 count-in that has been reported to the developers. You can search for threads on this, particularly by user VideoTrack (now named AudioTrack).
Posted By: Lazy Bird Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 05:33 PM
Thanks Matt : I found the "Count-In based on actual time-signature of first bar" topic in the Band-in-a-box wishlist.

I added "+1" but I have no illusions about the additional weight of my voice as I noticed that this wish had been made since... 2013!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 4 beats bar in a waltz song - 04/02/22 08:42 PM
Thanks for adding another vote of support! Every vote counts. Maybe one day we'll get there.
© PG Music Forums