PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich R How to get song to play like the chosen style - 05/14/22 11:16 AM
I am sure I am missing something easy on this. At least I hope so

I am choosing a style called "4thgear.sty" 4th gear Rockabilly folk swing. When I audition the style in style picker, it's really nice and bouncy and perfect for a song like "Jambalya". However, when I select the style into the song, the result is a much mellower version that isn't nearly as good.

How can I get the music to sound exactly like the style sample?
Thanks!
Rich..

are you auditioning in stylepicker useing the option to play the style with YOUR CHORD ARRANGEMENT ?..rather than the pg demo.
that will tell you what your arrange will sound like.

best
om
There are five (5) RTs in the style. Do you have them all or has something been substituted.
Quote:
RealTracks in style: 401:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ray Sw 160 ('2' only)
RealTracks in style: 2496:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillySwingBrent Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~373:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 165
RealTracks in style: 3220:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm CampfireFastSwing Sw 165
RealDrums in style:RockabillySwing^01-a:Tom, b:Tom 8th

I played the demo song with the style and for me it sounds like the RDs give it that bounce. If you have all the right RTs, then perhaps take a look at the song notes:

Quote:
File:_4THGEAR Demo - 4th Gear Rockabilly Folk Swing.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 165, Length (m:s)=3:11
No intro. 32 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 32. Repeat x4 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _4THGEAR.STY (4th Gear Rockabilly Folk Swing)

Have you strayed far from Key and Tempo?

If this all looks good, perhpas I need to go listen to Jambalya grin
Adding to what Musicstudent said about tempo...

This style is designed to be played at 165 beats per minute (bpm). What tempo is BIAB set at for Jambalaya?

By default, BIAB will automatically substitute Realtracks if the variation in tempo is too great. Any substituted Realtrack will have "~~" in front of its name: for example...

~~533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065

If you see the "~~" as part of the track names on the mixer, then a substitution has occurred and the track you are presently hearing is the one that is now shown.
Ya, even I had a substitution shown in the figures and I got everything?
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Ya, even I had a substitution shown in the figures and I got everything?

Hi Dan.

I have to hand it to you, you're a force to be reckoned with on these forums!!! I sincerely mean it. Many times, I've read your comments and added information to my understanding of BIAB. You know a lot of things about stuff I know nothing about.

All the best,
Noel
Up Tempo to 185....

Chords
G D D7 G
G D D G

G D D G
G D D G

G D D7 G
G D D G

... and if it still doesn't sound 100% like the demo, then it's a question of mixing/mastering the tracks, i.e. volume/EQ/pan/reverb/compression etc etc

cheers
Thomas
In the Style Picker you could select the "Load Song Demo" button and then the song will have the same settings and chords as the demo song that you were listening to. Please note that the demo songs are under PG Music Inc. copyright.

Attached picture load_song_demo.png
© PG Music Forums