PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 08:53 PM
I'm using Build 922, 64 bit version and want to run 2 instances of BiaB much like I can do with Microsoft Word or other Windows applications.

Can BiaB do this?

In Instance 1 I have the "Allow multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box" checkbox checked. I open up Instance 2 and made sure the same checkbox is checked. I verified that Instance 2 plays as expected; and it does. But when I stop Instance 2 from playing and try to play Instance 1 the error message below gets produced.

Can someone help?

Many thanks.

Description: Error Message
Attached picture Screenshot 16.jpg
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 09:39 PM
In the Audio Device Driver settings are you releasing the driver so it's not "Always On" ?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 09:53 PM
I can't find where to release the driver.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 10:10 PM
Audio menu > Audio Driver Settings

Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 10:27 PM
Still having trouble finding the menu.
If I Preferences > Audio this is what I see.

Attached picture Screenshot 17.jpg
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 10:54 PM
Almost there. Press the Audio Driver button

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/06/22 11:43 PM
OK, I think we solved it. I went into the Audio Drivers menu and unchecked "Output Always On" and I think that solved the problem.

What threw me was I couldn't find the "ASIO Always On" box shown in Pipeline's screenshot. Perhaps he has a Mac version?

In any case, I have what I need, thanks to all for the help.

PS> This is a perfect example of how step by step knowledge capture PDF "How-To" files I was promoting several weeks ago would be useful. Such a file (on this issue for example) would instantly help the next person that asks this very same question. And the nuances between the "Output Always On" and "ASIO Always On" boxes could be addressed providing even more clarity.

[Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] #709745 - 03/20/22 03:09 PM
Posted By: MarioD Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/07/22 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
What threw me was I couldn't find the "ASIO Always On" box shown in Pipeline's screenshot. Perhaps he has a Mac version?

That was because he was using ASIO drivers and you were using WAS drivers. Two different kinds of drivers.

If YOU were using ASIO drivers you would have seen the same screen as Pipeline.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/07/22 11:25 AM
Thanks for that clarification, a novice would have never known that the screen menus change as a function of what drivers you are using.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/07/22 03:52 PM
In the spirit of trying to give something back to this forum and PG Music (despite being a BiaB novice), here is an example of the How-To file approach that has worked very well in various industries. In my opinion, much more directed and efficient compared to the User Manual or asking in the forum.

The idea would be to organize and curate hundreds of similar files that users can search through to solve their problems or answer their questions thereby preventing the wheel from being invented over and over. If these files are made downloadable then users can have local copies on their hard drives so they can build their own personal library of how-to files. From my observations, it's likely that the complexity of this program can only increase as more and more capability is added.

[Sorry for the small image, couldn't figure out how to size it properly as a JPEG. But you can right click it and open to a new tab to zoom.]

Description: How-To File
Attached picture How To Run Multiple Instances Of Band-In-A-Box.jpg
Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/07/22 04:56 PM
Thank you for this Bass Thumper! This topic would be great for a quick video tutorial. I'll get one whipped up and post it in this thread and in the tips and tricks as well (and of course give a shout-out to all of those that have contributed)!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/07/22 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Jerry - PG Music
Thank you for this Bass Thumper! This topic would be great for a quick video tutorial. I'll get one whipped up and post it in this thread and in the tips and tricks as well (and of course give a shout-out to all of those that have contributed)!

Thank you Jerry, BiaB has so much capability. The easier it is made for new users (and not so new) to get past the problems they encounter with it, the better. I think a curated [and searchable] library of vetted how-to files is one way to get there.
Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/08/22 12:37 PM
Agreed! Outside of the video tutorials, written tutorials, and the FAQ section on our site, our aim with the the videos in the Band-in-a-Box® Tips & Tricks Videos section of the forum is a way for us to provide easy to follow solutions to issues or questions that are either mentioned in the forum or are frequently encountered when we provide support.

If there are any requests for video topics that would be helpful, please do post them in the I want a video that shows me how to .... section of the forum.

Anyway, back to working on that video! grin
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/08/22 12:54 PM
Jerry, on behalf of all of us who answer user questions here, especially those of us who learned BIAB long before videos, I thank you for all these great instructional aides PG Music makes.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/08/22 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Jerry, on behalf of all of us who answer user questions here, especially those of us who learned BIAB long before videos, I thank you for all these great instructional aides PG Music makes.

I agree, thanx.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/09/22 08:24 AM
Another vote of support. Such tutorials are highly beneficial to all, but especially to new users, or those seeking on ways to expand their capabilities.

Thanks.
Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Multiple Instances in BiaB 2022 - 06/10/22 07:08 PM
Hey folks! I posted a new video on this topic here: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=96819&Number=720120#Post720120

If you have any questions, please post them in the video thread. Hope this helps!
© PG Music Forums